Join Gretsch-Talk Today

How do you define Rockabilly??

Discussion in 'Songs in the key of Gretsch' started by GVDobler, Jan 8, 2017.

1. GVDobler

GVDobler Synchromatic

May 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    I may have asked this before, so forgive me if I did.

During the Sun record days of Elvis, all the music coming out of there was called rockabilly at first.
    Blue Moon of Kentucky was rockabilly for sure. Country music was country/western, now it is mostly pop with very little twang and nasal. Bluegrass still sounds the same (although I can't define that either).

How would you put together/write a rockabilly song today. I don't mean what instruments do you need.

Musically, what are the necessary ingredients?

2. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    What i like to hear is an acoustic chunkin out chords real tight with the dog house bass and some sparse tasteful take off guitar in between the singing, drums optional.

Andrew Griffin likes this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    As soon as you start to define something, you change it, you limit it. I can't say what it is, but I know it when I hear it. What you hear now isn't what it was sixty years ago.

6. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Some guys now do it just right like the Bob and the Bearcats vid in the thread just under this, easily could be 60 years ago! Good stuff;) you right though Rockabilly is a broad pallet

7. audept

audept Gretschified

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Just sent out for a Jumbo popcorn and made myself comfortable, proceed.......

8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well first you get some rockin R&B then you find some hillbilly. Some Dapper Dan or Tres Flores. Mix. Repeat.

9. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Well lets go then!

TSims1 and audept like this.
  10. Ricochet

Ricochet Friend of Fred

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I'd mix punk(mainly the attitude) with early rock n roll, with a pinch of swing and country to taste.

Where did Elizabeth go anyway?

Trash Kidd likes this.
  11. Kmonz90

Kmonz90 Country Gent

Jan 20, 2013
    Minnesota
    It's the earliest version of rock and roll. The lyrics are always about how much they're going to rock (We're gunna rock, rock, rock a lot. We're rock so much you know we just won't stop) And the bass always goes like this: See video at 35 secs in.

12. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    Rockabilly? Can't be - There's no orange 6120 lmfao.

slimwilson likes this.
  13. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Maybe she got bored with you too, not just me. No offence, just sarcaism.

14. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Where is that video? I couldn't find it even with the search tool.

15. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Its on the main page, its listed under Darell Higham bopflix

JHowdy likes this.
  16. Ricochet

Ricochet Friend of Fred

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Why would we be boring her? Elizabeth has an impressive music/historic inclination, but seeing this is still a Gretsch guitar forum, I see no reason for our contributions as aspiring Gretsch guitar players to be considered of any lesser value.

Everyone here brings something to the table including you.
    Some of us are purely into Gretsch, some are more into theory, or history, technology, whatever...
    We all make Gretsch-talk what it is. I'm pretty sure she would tell you the same thing.

17. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Thanks, great stuff!!!

18. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  19. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  20. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    I don't know if you can define it as much, because there's rockabilly songs about all sorts of stuff: trains, country, cars, girls, etc. I think there are a few traits that define it though. Sparse drums, usually consisting of very basic kits. Most of the time, an acoustic helping to drive the beat. Also most of the time, a standup bass playing some nice walking basslines. The guitar is mostly clean, but can be driven, and almost always has slapback echo applied and plays a nice blend of country and blues riffs. Usually not any harmonized vocals, and usually not even backup vocals. That's about the best I can do!

21. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Considering Rockabilly is what the name implies: Hillbilly Rock N Roll. Redneck country music that is listenable. Necessary ingredients: slight country mixed with basic Rock n Roll. Twang + Slapback + Hair Grease + Gretsch.

TSims1 likes this.