How Do YOU Cook a Turkey?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Nov 21, 2021.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Sunny and warm. For now. It'll change later.
    At least I'm not out in the Atlantic in an inner tube.

drmilktruck and MrWookiee like this.
  2. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    We've done the turkey in a variety of ways. The one time we did the 5-gallon-bucket method was the best-tasting of all time, though closely seconded by my brother-in-law's deep-fried bird, back when family used to actually get together. This year we're brining it, but my wife found a recipe for brining that involves soaking the bird in a brine of 128 grams of sea salt and 3 quarts of buttermilk. I have concerns. But mostly about having to go flip the bird over in its plastic bag every few hours and getting the smell of buttermilk (not my favorite) off my hands.

This year it's the two of us at my mother-in-law's house, and our kids and their spouse and significant other may do cameo appearances. My responsibilities are mostly limited to getting down the cooking equipment from high shelves, procurement runs (14 years in the supermarket business has taught me how to get in and out of a store with enhanced speed), and most likely, dishwashing. And of course, brining rotation. Despite the reduced headcount, I did not decrease the number of pies ordered (I'm not stupid).

As for Wild Turkey, it doesn't taste bad, but I prefer Maker's Mark, either cask-strength 46, or something from the Wood-Finishing series. I have a new bottle of FAE-02 that's most delightful. My new band is called The Boilermakers, and we're all bourbon aficionados, but for scotch, most Speysides are to my liking, so Glenfiddich would be welcome, I haven't settled on a favorite yet, there are still so many to try.

drmilktruck and MrWookiee like this.
  3. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Alton recommends, as I also do, a dedicated cooler like this:
    [​IMG]
    The bird fits nicely. Add the brine and ice, fill with water till the bird is covered. Screw on the cover and sit it in your basement or a cold/cool garage overnight.
    As soon as the bird comes out I dump the contents out and it goes into my shower. A little dish soap and my hand-held shower head cleans it up. Dried, the screw cover goes back on till the next turkey needs brinin'. Dedicated.

4. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    My Grandfather came from Italy but I'm more or less whitebread. I just learned that in Italian Tacchino is Turkey...

drmilktruck likes this.
  5. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    If you really want them, I'll make it happen.:)

drmilktruck and Sabato like this.
  6. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Yes, please! I think I can reciprocate with a recipe for amazing lemon bars.

Jeff67 and drmilktruck like this.
  7. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Sounds good! I'll get them together later when I get back home.

8. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
  9. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
  10. Jeremiah_S

Jeremiah_S Electromatic

Oct 19, 2018
    New England
    first, I watch a bunch of videos about deep frying gone wrong. I don't eat turkey, I just like to have fun...

MrWookiee and drmilktruck like this.
  11. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    I don´t, i´m vegan :)

drmilktruck likes this.
  12. Mudder

Mudder Electromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    St Helens, Or
    I brine my turkey in salt water for 2 or 3 days depending on my schedule more than anything else. Roast at 350 for 15 min/lb. or the breast meat is 170*, whichever comes first. Turkey comes out juicy, tender, and tasty. People make things harder than they have to be.

Sabato, MrWookiee and drmilktruck like this.
  13. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Tofurkey?

Sabato likes this.
  14. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    Actually Tofu is not really similar to meat. There´s probably a better alternative than that lol

drmilktruck and Sabato like this.
  15. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    I don’t..my wife does.

drmilktruck likes this.
  16. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I did, but for the most part I'd say that the oven did. Miniscule amount of prep and monitoring and Voila!

Archtops and drmilktruck like this.
  17. afire

afire Country Gent

One option is to not cook it. That's the method my sister-in-law went with this year. We got there at noon and she was telling us that she was expecting it to take four hours but it got up to temp in two. That didn't sound possible, but I'm not about to second guess the cook. When her husband went to carve it, it was totally raw. We managed to salvage it, but I was pretty nervous about eating it. But nobody got sick, so no harm, no fowl.

Sabato, MrWookiee and drmilktruck like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.