How Do YOU Cook a Turkey?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I've seen them in gangs as I ride down country roads. I think my lame Harley horn sounds something like a turkey in distress, so it gets their attention!

2. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    About 16 years ago we hosted a 'both sides of the family' Thanksgiving. Needing valuable stove/oven space, and having 12 adults and about 7 kids as the eaters, we needed a way to get things baked and not have anything cold nor piping-hot. This included a ham, two pies, two casseroles and two batches of dinner rolls that all needed the oven at some point.
    That left my gas grill (drawing off of the house's gas supply, not a tank. Smartest idea ever IMHO). I had only done burgers, brats and steak. No poultry of any kind.
    Brined with ginger slices, peppercorn and allspice berries for 24 hours, then stuffed in the aromatics (not to eat)- a sliced apple, a sliced onion, sage, thyme, rosemary and coat with some oil to act as suntan lotion. Insert internal thermometer, set at 165+ and basically walk away for a few hours, depending on how cold my Iowa wind is that day and the size of the bird, usually 4 hours. This is also known as Alton Brown's method on the Food Network. Never had a dry bird, and I've now done about 14 this way.

drmilktruck, MrWookiee and Sabato like this.
  3. Dumbthumbs

Dumbthumbs Gretschie

Nov 28, 2020
    New Mexico
    Glenfiddich.

Jeff67, drmilktruck and Sabato like this.
  4. afire

afire Country Gent

It's not just rural roads. Just the other day I was driving down one of Madison's main thoroughfares, and there in the median were about 6-8 wild turkeys just hanging out. Even in an SUV, I definitely slowed down and passed them carefully. Not only am I not inclined to kill wild animals, but I have no doubt that had a few of them made a run for it while I was doing 35-40, they would have caused some damage.

As I was reading your description, I was thinking this had to be Alton Brown's recipe. I've done it and it came out great. And it's really not all that fussy. Where you lose me, though, is making the refrigerator space for a five-gallon bucket the day before Thanksgiving. My refrigerator was usually already stuffed to its limits. Otherwise, I'd have probably done it more than once.

drmilktruck and Sabato like this.
  5. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I'm no turkey expert, but the best one I ever made was on a Weber grill, charcoal set off to the sides in two baskets so it wasn't directly beneath the bird. The only limitation was it had to be a relatively small bird to fit under the top, but man, that was one fine tasting turkey!

drmilktruck, Sabato and MrWookiee like this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Slappin' the chicken?
    Is that what you kids are calling it these days?

Dumbthumbs, Jeff67, Runamok and 2 others like this.
  7. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I was always a big fan of McCallan 12, but when I was given a bottle of Basil Hayden bourbon. I had a new favorite.

Dumbthumbs and drmilktruck like this.
  8. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    OK, I cook ours in the oven. I stuff the turkey in the main cavity as well where the neck was. When stuffing the main cavity, stuff it LOOSELY, do not pack the stuffing in. Packing in the stuffing will effect the cooking time. I wrap the extra stuffing in tin foil and cook it in the oven for about 3/4 of an hour. I rub the outside of the turkey with butter then put it in the oven. I check it periodically and keep basting it. Once the turkey has reached the color I like I cover it with tinfoil. I use a cooking thermometer inserted through the breast and into the center of the stuffing. When it reaches 165 degrees it is done. It has always resulted in a nice juicy turkey.

9. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    If it's just my wife and son and me on Thanksgiving, like last year, I just roast a turkey breast in the oven, no hassle with all the other parts. Otherwise, I let someone else do the cooking!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    MrWookiee, Jeff67 and Sabato like this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    After getting turkey loaf (compressed white and dark meat) every year in the service, along with typical chow hall sides, I've hated bird for the most part. Love the home cooked sides and the pies my wife and her sisters make, so, it's not a total loss.

MrWookiee, drmilktruck and Sabato like this.
  11. LeSainte

LeSainte Electromatic

Oct 4, 2021
    New York
    I just go to other people's houses and tell them how they should cook the turkey.

No, really though. I go see my family and let them do the cooking. It's in everyone's best interest.

12. Hey, while you’re up — is it raining out? ;)

Temperature's rising, Fever is high
    Can't see no future, Can't see no sky

13. The turkey feels similarly, I’m sure. (insert obligatory emoji here, I just came in on the train from Boomer Bend).

14. (sigh emoji) So many jokes, so many forum rules. :rolleyes:

15. Gangs. I’m thinking 1960’s beach movies.
    The horn sound however, has me stymied. “Hey. I’m drowning here. Somebody get a lifeguard!”

MrWookiee, Sabato and drmilktruck like this.
  16. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I go to mom's and let her do the cooking. My GF and I are thinking about doing it next year to start getting some practice. I've never had an oven big enough for a turkey until recently when I replaced my old one. The new one is like a cave inside- it'll probably hold a 25 pounder. We'll be taking some sides- devilled eggs, chips and dip, and this awesome chocolate pecan pie my GF makes. She also makes a chocolate coconut cream pie I suggested kind of as a joke, but it turned out great!:)

MrWookiee and drmilktruck like this.
  17. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    The gang commanding the streets:
    [​IMG]
    And Then:

MrWookiee, Jeff67, new6659 and 2 others like this.
  18. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

A few years ago I hit a wild turkey in my wife's new Suburban going about 40 mph. It was like hitting a 20 lb. bowling ball. Punched a football sized hole in the grill and crumpled the hood. Over $2k in damages. My wife was not exactly pleased.

drmilktruck likes this.
  19. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Share the pie recipies, or it didn't happen. :D

Jeff67, Runamok and drmilktruck like this.
  20. T
    The turkey, however, was delightful?

drmilktruck likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.