How do you care for Guitars in the Southwest/dry climate?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by panhead6zero, Nov 29, 2020.

1. doc538

doc538 Electromatic

Sep 20, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Here in Mass we tend to have to use DE humidifiers and AC. However, my 60 year old semi hollow body has survived it well, I guess it's because it NEVER dries out… Here it is December 1 and the humidity is at 90%

2. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I usually explain it even more simply: a swamp cooler pulls hot outside air through a cool wet sponge and blows it (the air) into your house.
    If the outside humidity is much higher than about 15%, or the outside temperature is much above 112 degrees, the inside of your house is like a Virginia summer. BTW 85 - 90 degrees inside the house feels darn nice when it is 115 in the shade outside.

Axis39 likes this.
  3. jm99

jm99 Gretschie

Mar 21, 2015
    France
    Thanks for your answers

4. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    We have a humidifier on our furnace. It is set around 65%!

mrfixitmi likes this.
  5. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Gretschie

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    ^^ I've tried a number of methods including a room humidifier but the filters tend to clog up fairly quick from the mineral desert water, misters which work well in a small room but keep the guitars in their cases and cover your amps, and case humidifiers but with 15 guitars that's just to much to keep up with. Truth be known I'm a bit of a slacker when it comes to humidity but I've been here for 25 years and haven't lost one yet. On the other hand It was one of the reasons that I sold my expensive Martin and Taylor guitars and now play a Guild with a somewhat thicker top that makes me just as happy and that I don't have to worry that much about. The deal out here is that of course humidification is good practice but it's nothing to panic over. The bigger problem is rapid temperature change when going from 72 to 110 degrees leaving the house. That can do you in on the spot. Best to use poly foam lined cases for the acoustics and of course never transport your guitar in the trunk.

panhead6zero likes this.
  6. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    We used to have these on our furnaces back East. But, the first time an HVAC guy showed em the mold on them, and explained that these were so bad about spreading mold unless you are on top of them... Well, we stopped using them. Suddenly we all felt better...

I was kinda tired of cleaning the hard crusty crap off the filters anyway.

We went with room humidifiers in the Winter after that. But, the biggest problem there is which kind of should you go with... Cool mist ones tend to deposit white dust on top of everything in the vicinity,. Warm mist ones are usually better. But, that's a whole 'nuther topic al together! LOL. Oh, and both have a hard time keeping up around here.

panhead6zero and T-Bawler like this.
  7. Gilpy

Gilpy Electromatic

Dec 7, 2010
    the desert
    I live in Tucson and have lots of guitars. You can buy a digital humidity indicator for under $10 online.

Don't leave your guitar in the car or in a sunny window.

I keep my acoustics in the case with a humidifier when it's dry....under 30% humidity. Solid bodies are generally OK to leave out if they have a rosewood fretboard. Ebony fretboards are much more prone to shrinking and expanding as the humidity changes. So, if they dry out, you may have protruding fret ends.

panhead6zero and mrfixitmi like this.
  8. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    I live in Madrid. Really DRY in summer. I just keep my guitars hanging in the wall and they just do with the weather.

So far, I have at home a 00-18 Martin, an Alhambra Classic Guitar (all solid woods), a 6120, and a Fender PM2 all solid too. I don't care for the 6120 as it is plywood but the solid woods acoustics get some treatment when travelling.

I play (amongst other bands) in an acoustic rockabilly duo and travel to many places. When going to humid places, north of Spain, any beach, seasides I always carry some humidifiers inside the case. When coming back to Madrid I always soak the humidifiers and when arriving home I keep the guitars in it's case for a couple of days before hanging them (with the humidifier inside the strings)

The only time I did not follow that procedure I got cracks in the top of a really expensive classic guitar 20 years ago. I learned the lesson and not any crack anymore

panhead6zero and T-Bawler like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.