How about this one?

Glaw

Gretschie
Aug 30, 2017
ca.
Can't really argue with a good sale---but---Caveat Emptor! Why is it 50% off?
At least check it out.
Too good to be true, maybe. That’s why I’m here before I even think about contacting the seller, it’s still a lot of money.

pmarinovich

Gretschie
Nov 17, 2018
Louisiana
Really, this is one of those soul searcher deals....
For me, personally, there is a point of diminishing returns. The most I ever paid for a guitar was 8k, and that was a one-off hand built by a famous luthier, every detail to my specs. It had 5 epsiloid sound holes and a case that could de-rail a train. And in retrospect I probably should not have done it. The "upcharges" on this thing are a little insane, IMO. Maybe if your name were Pierre Bensusan and this was "the" spirit guitar then that would be another story.

Just my 2 cents. Please no offense.

Glaw

Gretschie
Aug 30, 2017
ca.
Really, this is one of those soul searcher deals....
For me, personally, there is a point of diminishing returns. The most I ever paid for a guitar was 8k, and that was a one-off hand built by a famous luthier, every detail to my specs. It had 5 epsiloid sound holes and a case that could de-rail a train. And in retrospect I probably should not have done it. The "upcharges" on this thing are a little insane, IMO. Maybe if your name were Pierre Bensusan and this was "the" spirit guitar then that would be another story.

Just my 2 cents. Please no offense.
I see where you’re coming from and I’m very happy with my Gibsons and Martins. These kind of makers like Collings are next level guitars at least price wise and seem to start at the $4500+ range. This one from looking on the internet is in the $8000+ range thus the reason for interest. Guitar/ investment. I play guitar but I taught economics. I’m retired and it doesn’t hurt my finances or I wouldn’t even think of it. No offense taken. If it’s a dumb decision I want to here it, that’s why I’m posting.

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
Looks like a beautiful guitar. Seems to be a legitimate listing. An attractive price with all the upgrades. If you can afford it and don’t mind driving a long way to see it, go ahead and check it out. Make sure you’re safe, ideally go with someone. Don’t bring cash!

Glaw

Gretschie
Aug 30, 2017
ca.
Looks like a beautiful guitar. Seems to be a legitimate listing. An attractive price with all the upgrades. If you can afford it and don’t mind driving a long way to see it, go ahead and check it out. Make sure you’re safe, ideally go with someone. Don’t bring cash!
It’s about 45 minutes away. I won’t do anything today but think about it. There’s no way I’d pay $8000 + for a guitar but at $4500, which is still a lot, it makes me consider it. I’m on here to here opinions of the wood combinations and Santa Cruz as a guitar maker.

Bob Perrone

Gretschie
Mar 7, 2017
allentown, pa
50% off scares the crap out of me on a Santa Cruz - there is some sort of problem with it most definitely. Probably hidden inside the bracing (cracked, loose) - beware!

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
I don't know. Some people price things to sell. I wouldn't assume there's anything wrong with it. And it shouldn't be too hard to evaluate the condition of a guitar in person. There's not a whole lot of places for problems to hide undetectably.

I like the wood and decorative choices that were made here. You don't need a lot of flashy inlay and binding when you have gorgeous wood, classy details, and impeccable workmanship. There's a shop here that specializes in very high end acoustics and I've had a chance to noodle around on a few Santa Cruzes. I don't have the most discriminating ear when it comes to acoustics, so I won't even offer an opinion on that, but they're obviously well-regarded. What I can say is that they absolutely ooze quality. Like a Collings, when you pick up these high end guitars, you can appreciate why they're expensive, even if you can't quite figure out where all the money went. And at half price, you don't need to.

It's like a Rolex versus a Timex. They do the same thing, can look pretty similar, but when you have them in your hands, the difference in quality is pretty evident.

Glaw

Gretschie
Aug 30, 2017
ca.
I don't know. Some people price things to sell. I wouldn't assume there's anything wrong with it. And it shouldn't be too hard to evaluate the condition of a guitar in person. There's not a whole lot of places for problems to hide undetectably.

I like the wood and decorative choices that were made here. You don't need a lot of flashy inlay and binding when you have gorgeous wood, classy details, and impeccable workmanship. There's a shop here that specializes in very high end acoustics and I've had a chance to noodle around on a few Santa Cruzes. I don't have the most discriminating ear when it comes to acoustics, so I won't even offer an opinion on that, but they're obviously well-regarded. What I can say is that they absolutely ooze quality. Like a Collings, when you pick up these high end guitars, you can appreciate why they're expensive, even if you can't quite figure out where all the money went. And at half price, you don't need to.

It's like a Rolex versus a Timex. They do the same thing, can look pretty similar, but when you have them in your hands, the difference in quality is pretty evident.
That half price is what gets me. Normally a guitar way out of my price range is within reason to purchase. It’s one of those I hope it sells and takes the decision out of my hands.