How about a little love for Joe Walsh!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by hippdog, Oct 17, 2020 at 11:22 AM.

1. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Synchromatic

May 1, 2014
    Ajax Ontario
    Not enough props given to The Eagles....they went from being Linda Ronstadt's back up band to being Joe Walsh's back up band.

Waxhead, JJOVa and Randy99CL like this.
  2. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    But seriously folks, I love his "Barnstorm" stuff!

dougmon and toddfan like this.
  3. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

I remember an article or interview back in the 80’s where Joe listed his hobbies as “beer and hooking up stuff to see if it works.” I know he’s sober now, but he’s still my kinda guy

4. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I like him and prefer him over the Claptons of the world. Funk 49 is one of my favorites.

I've never seen him not seem stoned.:D

BCRatRod73 likes this.
  5. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Clapton in his early days with humbuckers is amazing. He was quite the guitar player. I never really liked his single coil tone. Funk 49 is a cool jam.

6. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
  7. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I am a fan of his playing, love his sound/tone.

8. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque

Hard to believe this was 49 years ago.

5120mantis likes this.
  9. Scamp

Scamp Electromatic

Feb 22, 2018
    California
    He has some solos that are only 6-8 notes long but what he does with those notes is awesome I like his use of the wha pedal too He doesn't over use it like so man do today. His use of tremolo is way above others. He just has a great feel Have you seen him when he plays his slide clear to the bridge. He loves to get different sounds from his guitar.

BCRatRod73 likes this.
  10. Winkels

Winkels Electromatic

Jun 23, 2018
    Canada
    It took me a long time to "get" Joe Walsh, but when I did it was all over.

Unlike many of his contemporaries he has never taken himself very seriously but still has a knack for great riffs. It's also gratifying to see he isn't afraid to embrace technology. Without him the Eagles would have been just another countrified yacht rock band.

11. hippdog

hippdog Electromatic

Jul 23, 2013
    NW Arkansas
    This clip is amazing.....the guitar talent that shows up for the tryout......wowzer!

5120mantis likes this.
  12. larryr

larryr Gretschie

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    20201020_071530~2.jpg

I have been the musical director for a fundraiser 4 a womens recovery home for 15 years. They are also connected to Joe. This was a thank-you gift I received for my service. I have been a fan of Joe Walsh since 1970 when I was a 16 year youngster in my basement trying to figure out how to play Funk 49. Joe is a guitar hero of mine.
    Funk 49 = a tele and a blackface champ. Tone!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020 at 10:55 AM
    Waxhead likes this.
  13. DasherF

DasherF Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Minneapolis, Mn
    DEFINITELY someone whose playing is recognizable...one of my top 2 guitar heroes.

14. DasherF

DasherF Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Minneapolis, Mn
    The Rides Again album shows Joe at his sonic best that I, personally, hadn't seen much until he joined the Eagles...great chops throughout, I bought every album, just the same...I appreciated Supernatural using Ashe, the Rain and I as part of an episode's soundtrack. Turn To Stone from Barnstorm is great!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020 at 3:46 PM
  15. DasherF

DasherF Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Minneapolis, Mn
    What song is that?

16. DasherF

DasherF Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Minneapolis, Mn
    Wadever...
    Classic episode of a classic show!

17. DasherF

DasherF Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Minneapolis, Mn
    I saw him a A Taste of Minnesota down on Harriet Island in the '80s...the show was kinda slow between tunes, but the tunes were solid...loved it! Space between tunes isn't a deal breaker either...

18. DasherF

DasherF Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Minneapolis, Mn
    He has a couple setup videos...very informative at almost a layman's level. He explains everything so one can get it.

19. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    He was a recurring charecter for a while, Drew likes the rock n roll, his show is also the first time i saw Rev. Horton Heat.
    For all his notoriety Joe seems like the type of guy eho would shoot the breeze about guitars with your ordinary average guy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.