How about a little love for Joe Walsh!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by hippdog, Oct 17, 2020.

1. hippdog

hippdog Electromatic

Jul 23, 2013
    NW Arkansas
    "The finest guitar I’ve ever owned, however, is this 1958 Gretsch Chet Atkins that Joe Walsh gave me. It’s the loudest guitar I’ve ever had. It is so loud, man. I used that guitar on every track of Who’s Next." Pete Townshend....(1972 GP interview)

Joe Walsh, icon of American Rock, needs a better narrative in rock history. From The James Gang to The Eagles, Joe's style of playing is learned by any serious rock musician. I will make this claim: Eric Clapton is the Joe Walsh of British rock.....or....Joe Walsh is the Eric Clapton of American rock. Joe has the same eloquence of phrasing, iconic guitar licks, tasty tone, but more importantly, a powerful influence over the next 5 decades of guitar players. And finally, to Joe's own credit, The Eagles, arguably America's greatest rock band (certainly within the top 5) recruited Joe to an already wildly successful band. Just had to have him. I think the comparison between Clapton and Walsh is worthy of consideration.

2. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Joe Walsh is awesome! James Gang, Eagles and solo - he did some really good guitar work during it all. Great tone and perfect phrasing.
    I will say I think I enjoy his solo stuff the most. I like his songs and the way he arranges them. His latest album is cool!

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    In '69, I had a service buddy who was from Cleveland, and a big James Gang fan. Been a JW fan ever since "Yer Album". I got to see them play at the Agora in Cleveland. I was afraid that when he joined the Eagle that he'd just be a small part of The Eagles, with Joe Walsh. Thankfully, at times, it's been Joe Walsh and the Eagles. His solo stuff is great; probably his best work.

DasherF likes this.
  4. Scamp

Scamp Electromatic

Feb 22, 2018
    California
    Joe is one of the best He's not a shredder but his solos are well thought out you can hear every note. He's considered a very technical player. Some consider him to be one of the best slide guitarist around todayEven with all the praise from the likes of Bryan May, Pet Townsend, Peter Frampton, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Vince Gill and on and on he will never be in the Hall of Fame as a solo. The owner doesn't like Joe and he decides what names the people will vote on. It's not a public vote.
    He is a very talented musician Has a great feel for music and plays piano, keyboard, organ, drums and base. He's also a producer.

DasherF and BCRatRod73 like this.
  5. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Saw Los Lobos open up for Joe Walsh back in '91. Great show. Joe sounded like he was stoned but he put on a great show. He's got a lot of great songs.

DasherF likes this.
  6. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Shredding is cool...when you're a teenager and for a couple years in your twenties. Eventually you outgrow it. I'd rather hear one note played with feeling rather than a million notes per second. The space between the notes is just as important as the notes themselves. Gary Clark, Jr. is a great example of this.

audept, Scamp, Jeff67 and 2 others like this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Note my signature under my post ...." We're all crazy except some of us got caught " ....that's Joe ...love'm ...and he's related to Ringo through marriage

DasherF likes this.
  8. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    First concert i went to was an earth day festival and Joe Headlined.
    Lots of fun tunes.
    Watch the whole clip or skip to 2:49 and Joe is playing an anniversary

9. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA

He’s an Analog Man, for sure.

Waxhead likes this.
  10. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    This is where I just turn and Walk Away.

speedicut and T-Bawler like this.
  11. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
  12. GHook

GHook Gretschie

Sep 3, 2010
    wnc
    I concur with the EC/Joe Walsh anolgy. Personally I think Joe kinda wears his signature sound where Eric plays his signature sound, if that makes sense. I was a big James Gang fan and became an Eagles fan when Joe was brought on board. He and Don Felder being, perhaps, the best guitar duo ever. I like also how generous Joe has been with those who admire his playing, offering set up tips, playing advise etc. I imagine, as a person, you get what you see.

DasherF likes this.
  13. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    I'm kind of partial to him, myself....

IMG_8741.jpg

DasherF, JJOVa, gtttrrr and 4 others like this.
  14. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Joe's "Analog Man" CD from a few years ago is great too :D

DasherF likes this.
  15. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Who doesn't love Joe Walsh? The man's a legend.

DasherF and Waxhead like this.
  16. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I like him as much for his whimsical sense of humor and quirky lyrics as his great guitar playing. A unique musician.

DasherF, Telechamp and pmac11 like this.
  17. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    I find the Dusenberg Joe Walsh model to be a very beautiful guitar.

toddfan likes this.
  18. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I love his license plate..

[​IMG]

SAguitar, DasherF and CaliforniaSlim like this.
  19. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    I honestly don't know as much about him as I need to. Just too lazy on my part I guess. I'll have to look into that.
    I do know I've heard him on radio all my life (born in 1968)- James Gang, solo, Eagles. Pretty sure I've heard stuff he played on, but radio stations never/rarely mention that stuff. Yeah I gotta look into him more. Always liked his stuff. Thinking of Walk Away and Life's Been Good, those are songs I find myself playing similar to when I use some dirt and am just riffing.
    For sure I'd like to be his friend -eg. Jimmy Page gets a 1959 Les Paul and Pete Townsend gets a 1958 Chet Atkins.

20. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Joe Walsh is very underrated IMHO, by the general public. He’s a tremendous and inventive player.

Tony65x55, pmac11, Waxhead and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.