Home studio/ stereo amp modeling connections question

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by mbkri, Apr 10, 2021.

1. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Thanks to @GOOBALL JEFF I’m thinking of redoin the recording setup in my small home studio. I’ve been looking deeper and deeper into this Strymon Iridium, amp sim thing all week. As far as i can tell between the Iridium and the Walrus Audio ACS1; they both cost the same, they both are excellent and they sound different when they are side by side....which they wont be in my house.
    I think I’m swaying slightly in favor or the Walrus ACS1 with its stero outputs and ability to simulate two amps at once for a richer sound. Which is how I used to play live and when i had a bigger studio. Plus the extra distortion in the Iridium is beyond the level of dirt that i like.
    So
    But I’m confused...... so I’ve done a little drawing. 9043BEEB-99A4-4296-95BF-9735063E0939.png
    Do i run one channel out of the Amp Simulator and one from the last pedal on my board into an interface like a Scarlet and then out of that into a pair of studio monitors, or do I go straight out with two cables to the monitors and only need the Scarlet for recording to my mac?
    And if I’m using the headphone output on the amp simulator then I’m hearing my signal before the modulation pedals....so I’d need to use the headphone output on the Scarlet, right? Or put the amp simulator at the end of the chain after all the modulation and drives.
    Or do i have this all wrong?
    And then, if I’m right about any of this, I need to buy good small space studio monitors. A pair of KRK Rokit 5 Classics seem to be about as good as I could afford. Anything out there better for less?
    I figure I will be able to sell two amps and a few liters of plasma and just about break even.

2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Judging by your drawing(which is awesome) you’re basically emulating a wet/dry rig? Headphone in the Scarlet but I suppose it depends on what you want? :)

3. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Yes, absolutely, i like to have a wet/ dry rig, and I THINK that means i wont be plugging the headphones into the amp sim but into the interface. And if i want to listen without headphones then I’d be able to split the wet dry between the monitors. Do i still need the Scarlet for that or do i go straight from the pedalboard to the monitors? Isn’t the Scarlet just the necessary interface to record to the Mac? I’m kind of confused.

4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    A bit lazy in netiquette but I just inserted replies(in blue) between your quote.

mbkri likes this.
  5. Jardin

Jardin Electromatic

Jan 8, 2021
    NM
    mbkri likes this.
  6. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Over here they’re blowing out the Tannoy Reveal 402 and 502 everywhere for $200 a pair. Might be an option if on a tight budget?

mbkri likes this.
  8. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
    Regarding monitors, for the last couple of years, I've been using JBL reference 104 active speakers. Very impressive as near field monitors. got them from Amazon at a knockdown price of just £79 (I think), as they were to be replaced by the more expensive Bluetooth version.
    I think you can still get the non-BT ones if you shop around. I wouldn't recommend BT for real time monitoring though.
    Plenty detailed and loud enough for near field monitoring.
    I was so impressed I bought another pair for the TV.

mbkri likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.