Home Studio Progress

oneforsorrow

Synchromatic
May 15, 2020
Iowa
save your work allot while recording, pro tools has an auto save feature, so if i get a crash i can usually go back to an earlier version. general practice after recording into computer save save save....... my sytem records all sound files onto an external drive. if you record audio onto your internal hard drive will develop problems and use up all your disk space. all DAW (digital audio work stations) require free disk space to operate properly, read manuals or watch youtube videos on your system especially about disc allocation. and have fun!!!
Amen to that. I work from the internal drive of Mac Mini and use external for storage. My work was saved to the internal hard drive but there was a moment when it looked like the internal drive may be the problem. Thankfully it wasn't. My issue was that my external drive was nearing capacity and I hadn't yet purchased an additional one (funds have been super tight with our touring income gone). So, I was caught in-between things there. But all is well now. Studio One Pro keeps the most recent version and prompts you accordingly when loading projects from the stored file. I tend to usually have things back-up with some redundancy as well. I've also got files for clients outside of our own music that I keep tabs on in case someone has a failure on their end. As soon as the grant money shows up, I'll be buying that new drive and re-organizing files asap.

oneforsorrow

Synchromatic
May 15, 2020
Iowa
one important thing about recording into a DAW (digital Audio Work station) Levels! dont record too low and especially not too hot digital distortion is ugly! experiment see how hot you can record before you get ugly distortion and record too low to see how much gain you will need to add to get a good level.. and have fun!

Good points. Too loud is an ugly mess that ruins things quickly. If your converters are low end, too hot happens very fast. And I would suggest reading about target levels (dBFS) to optimize the plug-ins you're using. I believe that UA plug-ins want to see -18dBFS to work their magic. I like to keep things around -15 average with peaks no more than -6. And I'm often tracking with some compression on the way in for many sources.

But the main point is the having fun part!!

garagegods

Electromatic
Sep 30, 2021
Los Angeles
Amen to that. I work from the internal drive of Mac Mini and use external for storage. My work was saved to the internal hard drive but there was a moment when it looked like the internal drive may be the problem. Thankfully it wasn't. My issue was that my external drive was nearing capacity and I hadn't yet purchased an additional one (funds have been super tight with our touring income gone). So, I was caught in-between things there. But all is well now. Studio One Pro keeps the most recent version and prompts you accordingly when loading projects from the stored file. I tend to usually have things back-up with some redundancy as well. I've also got files for clients outside of our own music that I keep tabs on in case someone has a failure on their end. As soon as the grant money shows up, I'll be buying that new drive and re-organizing files asap.
ya i get things being tight with $$$ external drives have gotten more affordable larger storage capacity and smaller in size. when i was working on AVID for audi post production in early 90's we had 16 gig shuttle drives that where the size of a toaster oven! now a 12tb drive fits in your palm:cool: hope touring situation gets better !

Gretschzilla

Gretschie
Apr 20, 2021
Saint Paul, MN USA
My first monitors were some KRK’s and they served me well until I stepped up to the ADAM’s...Oh, I don’t know that there is a finish line FWIW :). It’s a never ending journey so have fun and make art!

Studio Monitors
I have narrowed down the choice to a pair of ADAMs vs. a pair of KRKs; also trying to choose between 5" and 7".

The KRKs mention 'room correction' as a feature and I'm not sure I want any circuit wizardry in the box. The purpose of a studio monitor is flat, minimally processed sound reproduction so I'm a bit suspicious of anything that might interfere with that. I'm considering:
- KRK ROKIT 5 G4 5-inch Powered Studio Monitor ($360/pr)
-ADAM Audio T5V 5-inch Powered Studio Monitor ($440/pr)
-KRK ROKIT 7 G4 7-inch Powered Studio Monitor ($480/pr)
-ADAM Audio T7V 7-inch Powered Studio Monitor ($550/pr)

I'd be interested in forum members' perspectives on this purchase. @garagegods and others, what do you think?

DougWheeler74

Synchromatic
Jul 10, 2019
NE Wisconsin, US
I concur with the importance of backup. For years I was responsible for data integrity at the research center that I worked at. That included data recovery as well as business continuity and disaster recovery. That all boiled down to the ability to have access to our data.

At home I use a three-step model:

1. I use Time Machine for system & data recovery
2. An external drive for a second copy of data
3. Automated cloud storage for offsite storage

A couple of thoughts: Use automated backup. It is too easy to say, “I’ll do it tomorrow”. Offsite storage is highly recommended either in the cloud or a copy at a friend’s house. A backup on your desk is not useful if you have a pipe burst or worse, a fire.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Studio Monitors
I have narrowed down the choice to a pair of ADAMs vs. a pair of KRKs; also trying to choose between 5" and 7".

The KRKs mention 'room correction' as a feature and I'm not sure I want any circuit wizardry in the box. The purpose of a studio monitor is flat, minimally processed sound reproduction so I'm a bit suspicious of anything that might interfere with that. I'm considering:

I'd be interested in forum members' perspectives on this purchase. @garagegods and others, what do you think?
KRKs have a good reputation. For close work, the 5" should be fine.
Also, consider Genelec, and Klipsch.

As others have said---backup your work daily. Save source material.
Watch your meters! Don't overdrive recordings. Hitting a guitar amp hot is one thing. Overdriving recordings is deadly. You'll just waste your time and have to repeat your efforts.

garagegods

Electromatic
Sep 30, 2021
Los Angeles
Studio Monitors

all good choices if you had a chance to listen and like what you hear even better! I work on TV music so smaller are good enough if your working on demos or commercial release albums you might consider the larger size. being familiar is the important part thats why so many engineers still listen to NS-10's they are very midrange sounding but a familiar sound. have fun!

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. I know that any Mom would love any song inspired by her.
Music is something my Mom and I always used to share songs and bond. I still remember the phone call from my Mother on November 29, 2001, I could barely hear her. I was driving to work, and she was so distraught hearing about the passing of George Harrison, I could barely drive.
She was a devout Beatles fan, and told the nuns that I would not be in school because I was home sick. The truth was that we were at the George Harrison concert the night before and we did not get home until 3am.

Fortunately, my Mom is still alive and now encourages my son (her Grandson) to pursue his dream of music. She was always a fan regardless if we were playing at home, at a local dive, or for a musical.

Londoner

Gretschie
Dec 18, 2020
UK
A tip I read about years ago.
Good studio, nearfield monitors, headphones even, will more often than not sound good, and you'll get used to their sounds.
However, when you think you've got a good final mix, go and listen to it on your car speakers.
Can often sound completely different.
That's how most listeners will hear your music, not through highly defined studio monitors.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
A tip I read about years ago.
Good studio, nearfield monitors, headphones even, will more often than not sound good, and you'll get used to their sounds.
However, when you think you've got a good final mix, go and listen to it on your car speakers.
Can often sound completely different.
That's how most listeners will hear your music, not through highly defined studio monitors.
The Cars had a pair of 4" auto speakers in the studio just for that reason.
Anymore, you'd need to listen on a cell phone, computer, or Bluetooth speakers.

Gretschzilla

Gretschie
Apr 20, 2021
Saint Paul, MN USA
Just ordered a couple of ADAM T5V studio monitors. Following advice of people I trust, I’m excited about the capabilities these monitors will afford my humble home studio.

This is the last gear I need to start accelerating my progress up the learning curve. The link to the 300+ page by ‘yep’ has taught me a ton of useful stuff (Thank you for the great info, y’all!). I can’t wait to hear what my tracks sound like so I can clean them up and start wrasslin my first mix.

I still hope to publish my first song around the end of this calendar year. I’ll post pics and progress notes after the monitors arrive this coming week. Progress. One step at a time.

Gretschzilla

Gretschie
Apr 20, 2021
Saint Paul, MN USA
Continuing to make progress expanding my little studio in the basement. Just added the Nord Stage 3. I'll be figuring out how to use this instrument for many years. I've had pianos and organs; this is my first synthesizer. (The Stage 3 has Organ, Piano, Synth, and an array of Effects as well as a Program function.)
1 Clean Tone Studio Apr 2022.jpg 2 Clean Tone Studio Apr 2022.jpg 3 Clean Tone Studio Apr 2022.jpg 4 Clean Tone Studio Apr 2022.jpg 5 Clean Tone Studio Apr 2022.jpg

Gretschzilla

Gretschie
Apr 20, 2021
Saint Paul, MN USA
Im amazed at how tidy you are. Well done. Im in awe

That's exactly what I was thinking. I've seen commercial recording studios that weren't as tidy as that!
Thank you for your kind words. Things get messy when the (grownup) kids and I play around in there. Taking these photos inspired me to tidy up. I do have a place for everything; try to be consistent about putting things away.

One thing nice about having older children: I can trust them to take care of things. Now when the grandkids come over, different deal entirely. They like to sing through the mics using the special effects on the mixer. Grampa controls the volume and there is no food or drink in the studio. Also, there’s a bathroom down there and everybody washes their hands before we start. No, they don’t play the guitars yet. The Nord is a little more kid proof, at least I think so.

Gretschzilla

Gretschie
Apr 20, 2021
Saint Paul, MN USA
Decided against the Roland KC-600 based upon feedback/advice from long time keyboard players (real musicians who go gig every week). They recommended I check out the QSC line; I ended up with a CP12. The clarity is amazing. 1000 Watts; 800 to the 12" midrange/woofer and 200 to the high compression tweeter. The Nord Stage 3 sounds like thundergods through that thing. My little looper/drum box (Boss RC-10R) also sounds terrific through it.

Updated pics. I added a skinny little table to sit above my amps. No more bending over to adjust pedals. I like my little studio. IMG_2236.jpg IMG_2235.jpg IMG_2237.jpg IMG_2238.jpg

Latest posts