Hollow body through and acoustic amp??

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by aanstadt, Jun 13, 2021.

1. aanstadt

aanstadt Electromatic

May 13, 2021
    Atlanta
    I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts on a hollow body (specifically a G5420tg) through an acoustic amp?

2. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
    Try it. You might like it.
    Mine sounded quite pleasing through a Fishman Loudbox.

Andrew Griffin likes this.
  3. karol

karol Electromatic

Dec 27, 2018
    Sydney
    Not a fan without any modelling. It's not that Gretsch sound, although it is playable I have to say... Tried G5422t and G2655T. Played through Marshall AS50D 50W.

What I do though is I'm using my Boss GT1000 Core to model amps, and use that very Marshall as kind of FRFR speaker whenever I play in church, and my studio monitor speakers when I play at home. This way I can have a fairly similar sound in both places taking only my pedal board and a guitar with me.

4. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Gretschie

Jan 22, 2019
    Colorado
    Funny you mention this. I was just wondering about my 5420 through my Marshall AS50D, too. I think I'll give it a try. I'll watch this thread, too, for other folks' experiences.

5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Acoustic amp is a contradiction of terms.

Like Londoner said, "Try it. You might like it."
    It might just be the very sound you're looking for.
    It's your ears that matter.

19MGB76 and Waxhead like this.
  6. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    I have a little Fender acoustic amp that I play my hollow bodies- and even my solids through- sometimes and it sounds very nice. I like it when I'm looking for a real clean tone. I meant to ask others on the forum if they ever use an acoustic amp for their electrics but you beat me to it. Play on...

7. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Same here. I play my 5420 through my Fishman LoudBox Mini all the time at home and I like it. I should say, I like a warm clean tone.

8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I saw a lot of jazz-players plugging their archtops into acoustic amps. So why shouldn`t you try it?

9. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

I have played my 5420 through my acoustic amp, just for fun, and I didn't dislike it. I still prefer it running through the Vox AC10, or the Fender '65 DRRI, but if anything happened to my Vox and Fender, then my Fender Acoustic SFX can get the job done. I can't do it with my Strat, though. ;)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  10. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Acoustic amps add some options for taming piezo pickups, and often a mic input. You don’t have to use them.

I’m not crazy about the sound of a Streamliner Broad’tron (2016 version) or BT-2S through a clean amp. They sound kind of dull without a bit of overdrive. Removing half the screws did help the 2016 Broad’trons, but I haven’t tried doing that with a BT-2S yet.

I do like the sound of the Ray Butts Filter’trons (in a 6120) and Blacktop Broad’trons (in a 5622) through a clean amp though.

11. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I do it quite a bit. My Jazzbox through various acoustic amps. Not that fond of it though. SS is SS to my ears. If I take my Princeton or etc instead I immediately think.... "ahhh"

12. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Worth a try. If you have any preamp or eq pedals, or even a dirt pedal where you can dial the gain out, I would try that.

13. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    I always play my New Yorker through an acoustic amp, on some occasions my Country Gent as well when playing fingerstyle. Sounds great

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.