HiLo mod to filtertron ??

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by j.s.c, Nov 22, 2021.

1. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Hey, I need your reaction on this crazy idea...

I have an Hilo pup and I have to say, I like them a lot but they're too weak to be very versatiles...

Thus, I'm asking myself about doing a silly mod, which will be adding a second bobbin (underneath the first one, like some pickups makers offer for doing the humbucker thing on a tele bridge pickup). Of course, with 4 leads and a split switch to offer the Hilo or Filtertron option... So

-second bobbin under the original one, not on the side
    -4 leads for a splitting choice

What you think ??

2. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Like that : stacked bobbins...

[​IMG]

So not a true filtertron, but a new thing based on hilo construction (and its strange magnet position)...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The footprint is and remains a single coil so you will never get a Filtertron/humbucker sound.
    Hum cancelling is feasible but IMO this not the way to do it. Stacked single coils generally are crazy overwound cause the coils cancel eachother out. Starting out with a Hilo coil is likely not gonna yield a satisfactory outcome.

j.s.c likes this.
  4. Jeremiah_S

Jeremiah_S Electromatic

Oct 19, 2018
    New England
    I read that the TV Jones model, at least, is made so it is hum cancelling in the middle position. Would that do the same thing for you? Assuming your guitar has two. Maybe there is something specific about the TV-HT that supports it, or maybe it is something special with the way it is wired up to the pots.

5. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Yep ! the two hilos will be without hum but still nice but weak volume...

6. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Country Gent

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Keep the hilos and turn up the amp, or get a boost pedal.

CaliforniaSlim and Mark 6120 like this.
  7. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Hi @j.s.c. :

Is the HiloTron a half FilterTron ? I think yes but I may be wrong... I never saw one opened ! :oops:

Assuming that it's yes, then the idea would be to add the missing coil, connect it the humbucker way, but use no polepieces - or not protruding ones : doing this, you would have more or less a clone of a DC SHT - Dual Coil Super HiloTron.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's just an idea to have more power with hum cancellation, while retaining some Single-Coil character, but I don't know if it is doable... o_O

A+!

ZackyDog likes this.
  8. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    No inside the box I have is quite different...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So strange magnetic animal... :-o
    No base plate btw...

ZackyDog, new6659 and hcsterg like this.
  9. journeyman

journeyman Synchromatic

Aug 20, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    Hilo'trons are unique pickups, with the magnet on the side of the coil. If you simply want more output, I would highly reccommend the TV Jones HT. It's a Hilo'tron with beefer output, but still retains the Hilo qualities. I've used them quite a bit and there was never a moment when I felt that the output was lacking in any way.

10. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I think you'd be better off selling the Hilo and buying a new pickup that's more to your liking.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.