Hi, new member with pickup question for G5222

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Matohota, May 24, 2020.

1. Matohota

Matohota Electromatic

Apr 17, 2020
    St Augustine, FL
    Howdy all. Nice forum you have here! I recently bought a G5222 Electromatic Double Jet BT, which is my very first Gretsch. The thing is, I'm not crazy about the Blacktop Broad'trons and want to replace them with something more vintage Gretsch sounding. I mean really, I bought this thing because it resembles the famous "Beast" (and because it gave me a good excuse to finally buy a Gretsch), and I'd like it to sound more like the Beast.

My 2 questions:
    • What's a good and affordable option? I'm thinking maybe GFS GF'trons? I can't spend much right now.
    • I've read the BT Broad'trons are larger than regular FTs and I may need to replace my rings. Is this true? If so, what rings do I get to match this guitar?
    Here's a crappy photo. Thanks!
    20200423_133816.jpg

2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Welcome. That’s a beautiful looking Gretsch.

I know @jarrodtaylor replaced BT’s on a 6228 and had to get new bezels if I remember correct.

There’s lots of FT style pickups but the majority favor TV Jones. Maybe there’s some used ones on Reverb or if you post wanted. Some members may have extras laying around from experimenting.

Matohota likes this.
  3. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    Yep, you’ll need new pickup rings. You won’t have to drill new holes though, just the inner cutout is smaller. I get mine from Quickguards. Once you decide on pickups Mike from Quickguards can help you make sure you get the correct ring.

As for which pickup, the closest Malcolm Young sound I’ve gotten is with a TV Jones Classic Plus at full volume and a neck filtertron rolled off to where the blend softens some highs and boosts the mids. I was using either a regular TV Classic neck or a Setzer Signature in the neck, but most of the tone was coming from the bridge. No treble bleed because that tone roll off is part of the trick. Works well for early, uncompressed Led Zep sounds, too.

Humbuckers, P90s, and Power’trons were all too compressed an gain-y to get there. Your mileage may vary.

There’s also this one: https://solodallas-shop.com/products/solodallas-sdf63-filtertron-pickup

I’ve heard Malcolms pickups were rewound hotter though, so I don’t know if a recreation of the original works so well.

Merc and Matohota like this.
  4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Matohota !
    Florida welcome mat.jpg

Matohota likes this.
  5. Matohota

Matohota Electromatic

Apr 17, 2020
    St Augustine, FL
  6. Matohota

Matohota Electromatic

Apr 17, 2020
    St Augustine, FL
    Update: what's the consensus on High Sensitive FTs?

7. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Welcome and that's a beautiful guitar you have there!

Matohota likes this.
  8. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    Good pickups. Similar to TV Classics.

Merc, Outlaw and Matohota like this.
  9. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome to the forum @Matohota . Beautiful guitar . I love the finish on that as my 12 string has the same . Sure wish Gretsch would use it on more models

Matohota likes this.
  10. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Welcome! HS Filtertrons are a great option, especially if you're not looking to spend as much as a set of TV Jones pickups will cost. Some people prefer HS Filtertrons to TV Jones. I have a TV Classic and an HS Filtertron in my Jet and I think they're both fantastic.

If you want to spend even less, you can get a pair of Blacktop Filtertrons for about $50 to $75. Their tone is not as detailed as HS Filtertrons, and overall I think it's worth spending the extra money if you can afford it—but the Blacktop Filtertrons do take distortion really well. I find that it's easy to dial in a Malcolm Young-ish tone with them. That said, I've never played a guitar with Blacktop Broadtrons, so I can't say whether Blacktop Filtertrons would be a significant improvement over what you already have. If you're looking for a vintage Gretsch tone without spending too much, I think HS Filtertrons would be the sweet spot.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Matohota and Outlaw like this.
  11. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Go for the HS Filtertrons, they are great pickups and great value for the dollar. A slightly different flavour to TV classics but just as good, I've had them both and like them equally but like the price of the HS filters more!!

I've got a set waiting to go in my G5230T with wax removed.

section2 likes this.
  12. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk, Matohota! You've got a beautiful Double Jet there.

I like the H.S. Filtertrons. I have a set on my Tennessee Rose and they're beautifully smooth in a hollowbody. I would go on Youtube to get a sense of the H.S. Filtertron and the Blacktop Filtertron. I have the Blacktop Filtertron in my 5420 hollowbody, and the Blacktop has a bit more "edge" to it. You'd get a bit more attitude with that one, while still getting most of the Gretsch sound.

Merc, Matohota and section2 like this.
  13. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Merc and Matohota like this.
  14. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Gretschie

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your fine Gretsch. I can't help on the pickup question as all of mine still run originals.

Matohota likes this.
  15. Jeff67

Jeff67 Synchromatic

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Welcome, and great guitar! If you decide to swap pickups, I'd sure love to have those silver broadtron rings.;)

Matohota likes this.
  16. Matohota

Matohota Electromatic

Apr 17, 2020
    St Augustine, FL
    Really appreciate all the comments. Thanks everyone!

One last (hopefully) question. Will I have to worry about the mounting method of I buy different pickups? I'm seeing that some mount directly to the body and may require an adapter of some sort.

17. Stonepicking

Stonepicking Gretschie

Sep 14, 2018
    Portsmouth uk
    Welcome. Lovely guitar.

Matohota likes this.
  18. xtcclassic

xtcclassic Gretschie

Jan 9, 2019
    Missouri
    I have three Electromatic Double Jets, including a twin to yours, all with TVJ pickups. If you’re going for a Malcolm Young tone, your best bet imho is a Classic Plus. Malcolm didn’t even have a neck pickup in his guitar, so what about leaving the stock neck pickup in it and just buying a Classic Plus for the bridge?

I have no experience with the HS Filter’Trons but from the clips I’ve heard on YouTube, those would probably be my second choice.

Matohota likes this.
  19. MadKaw

MadKaw Electromatic

Apr 17, 2020
    Michigan, USA
    Not sure what's wrong with me, but I love my G5222 as is. Especially with the Blues amp.

new6659 and Matohota like this.
  20. Matohota

Matohota Electromatic

Apr 17, 2020
    St Augustine, FL
    I don't hate the stock pickups. I just want to change them because, A) I have many HB guitars and I've never owned a true FT guitar so I want to get closer to that sound and, B) I played the guitar back-to-back with one of my other guitars with great-sounding pickups and I thought the BT Broad'trons were a bit muddy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice