Hi from BC Canada, question on Bigsby

Discussion in 'The Great Bigsby forum' started by Haywire, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Haywire

Haywire Electromatic

Hello all, I have a kit guitar (gretsch copy) from the 50's that has a Bigsby on it, I was wondering if someone in this group could tell me a little about it. The guitar is worth nothing but I'm sure the Bigsby has some value.
    Thanks for your input!

Haywire IMG_5362.JPG

T-Bawler and thunder58 like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I'm not sure of the value , but welcome to the forum

3. Haywire

Haywire Electromatic

Thank you!

thunder58 likes this.
  4. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Another welcome (from the coast). I can't help with the bigsby value, but someone who knows more should be along soon.

Haywire likes this.
  5. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Haywire!

Haywire likes this.
  6. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Welcome from the east coast. Can't help with your question either but I'm sure someone will be by soon.

Haywire likes this.
  7. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Hello Haywire, good to have you here. Be patient some will be along to give and approximate price on your Bigsby.

Haywire likes this.
  8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Haywire!
    Maple Leaf doormat.jpg

Haywire likes this.
  9. Zeek

Zeek Synchromatic

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    Welcome

Haywire likes this.
  10. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Another Canadian welcome Haywire! Do you want to sell the Bigsby?

11. flip

flip Electromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Manchester UK
    Welcome indeed.

I have a little information but due to the time that's elapsed, not as much as you'd like. I bought a worn, gold-plated Bigsby very similar to yours in Peoria, IL in about 1970. I put it on my then only guitar - what now turns out may be an Isana (German) archtop. I had no problems with it and sold it on eBay UK about 30 years ago when I still had no idea what the guitar was and was by then playing flat-tops. I can't recall the actual price I got but the purpose in retelling all this for you is that I know it was more than I expected, a lot more. FWIW mine was much more worn than yours appears to be.

I wouldn't deal with eBay now if they were the last company on the internet but a more reputable place might get you a decent price. Just don't get ripped off. I'm surprised you haven't had some better ideas from folks here.

12. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Hey H,

Welcome aboard!

Appears to be an original B3, does the end piece have a large center hole, or just a small screw hole for the strap button.

If it has a large hole, it would have been sold as a separate accessory part, to be installed without disturbing the strap button, and would be more desirable over the small strap button screw hole.

If that's the case, $175/$200 may be a fair range. Worn gold plating may be a deterrent for some buyers, on the other hand, the ''relic'' guys may prefer it this way.

Hard to tell from the photo, whether the gold is factory plating, or just gold ''overspray''. looks more like paint than plating.

Best,

BIB.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Haywire likes this.
  14. Haywire

Haywire Electromatic

Thank you for the information, very much appreciated. I do not use Ebay anymore either, too much to scroll through to find anything and selling there is such a hassle.

Regards,

Haywire

15. Haywire

Haywire Electromatic

Hi Black, thanks for the hearty welcome. I will attach a couple more pictures. It definitely doe not have overspray, it's the finish that has worn.

Thank you for the input, very much appreciated.

Regards,
    Haywire

IMG_5361.JPG IMG_5364.JPG

16. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    Bigsby model B3. Check the bridge.

17. Haywire

Haywire Electromatic

Yes, I am looking to sell it. It's just sitting on this old POS guitar, that can't be played. Would like it to go to someone who can make good use (and music) out of it. Then I'm going to buy some more drum stuff. ;)

18. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Looks more like a B6 to me. $200 street value in the US.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.