Hi everyone, I'm Meg! Is this Gretsch perhaps a fake PLS?? :( ♡

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by Vandjem, May 7, 2021.

1. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    And we have a winner!
    Gretsch G5415 Special Jet, has the CS serial too.

sgarnett likes this.
  3. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Henry,

Thanks, revised my post.

BIB.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    Henry likes this.
  4. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    Hi and welcome Meg.
    Is the seller are Gretsch dealer? Might be worth having a drive down to GAK at Brighton, they are a Gretsch stockist with a good reputation as a trusted retailer. Last time I was in London I was actually quite disappointed with the dealers down there, may be London costs are pushing them out?

5. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    The bridge is in the wrong place f
    Yep, that looks like a match! Who knows, it might turn out to be a decent guitar!

Archtops likes this.
  6. afire

afire Country Gent

Based on LivingMyDream's comment, I would guess that the "C" stands for China and the "S" represents the specific factory. It's just coincidence that "CS" could mean Custom Shop.

Looking at the OP, I don't see any evidence that anything was misrepresented, and a "really great price" was mentioned. I don't see any reason not to go for it, especially since you're picking it up in person and get to make sure it plays alright.

Jelly Roll Horton and Ricochet like this.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    It was not entirely clear to me if it was advertised as a Baritone, but other than that I completely agree.

8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Meg!
    vintage_grunge_uk_flag_union_jack_doormat.jpg

9. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome to the forum @Vandjem , Meg and Tony . Lots of fakes out there , glad you caught it in time

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  10. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Welcome to the forum Meg. Glad you were able to sort it out. Best of luck!

11. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Just for grins and on the off chance the OP found the original listing on Craigslist, I pulled up the London CL and was shocked to find virtually nothing there. About a dozen instrument listings total, only 2 guitars - in a city the size of London?

What's up there?! I guess CL isn't the force in the UK that it is in the US?

12. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    To be honest I didn’t even know we had a CL in London. I thought it was just U.S. based….

thunder58 and Highroller like this.
  13. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Gumtree would be the UK’s Craigslist.
    https://www.gumtree.com/search?feat...nstrument&q=guitar&tq=&search_location=London

Highroller likes this.
  14. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Ah, Gumtree ... OK, that's more like it, but still no baritone - at least not the one the OP's looking at. There's a nice White Falcon listed though! Maybe somebody should go look at that! :)

Anyway, I just thought it'd be nice to see the original ad. We don't really know what claims the seller actually made, just the OP's reactions to them. She seemed pretty content with the first few responses, might be on her way and done here.

We'll see ...

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  15. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Although I'm late to the party...
    Welcome Meg!
    Like others have said before, this definitely is not a beritone guitar, at least not originally. The bridge is in the wrong position, and the pickups in Gretsch baritone Jets used to be minihumbuckers, these are full size Gretschbuckers. I'd consider it a nice guitar for home use or a modding platform, but nothing of great value.

16. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

You're right that the straight line is unusual, but then I have not seen a Jet with Gretschbuckers, either, since my interest in a Pro Jet didn't happen until 2014. As I noted, the tuners are consistent with my Pro Jet. I'm not an expert on all things Gretsch, but it's serial number is consistent with the serial on my Pro Jet. It's kind of hard to pin down for sure, though.

17. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    After lots of googling I realized that there are models with that knob set-up. You learn something new every day here

18. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

As do I, juks, as do I. :)

19. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Well, you certainly found the right place to check.

Biggest clue for me off the bat is the lack of a master volume and only two knobs. And it gets worse from there with all the other foibles people have pointed out. But now I see that there are some with this knob configuration. So in revision, what do I know?

20. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    Where to begin...just use the advice here, it's a definite fake, nothing is right about that guitar. Sorry, cancel/refund if you can

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.