Hi all, new here and hoping for some pointers

Dana Rudd

Country Gent
Nov 26, 2019
Greybull, WY
Hello Pete, welcome to GT, it's good to have you here. Lots of good choices in the Gretsch lineup. Good luck with your search. I've not played the two you asked about so can't comment on them. As others have said the G5420T series gets a lot of love.

JustLikeEddie

Electromatic
Nov 25, 2021
London, UK
Okay I was up late last night and early this morning searching & comparing models and looking at secondhand ads for G5129 & G5124, also came across a G5120.
But I decided to go and check out the G5420T and it was in stock about 70 miles away.
Love at first Twang is best way to describe it!
Home now with it so thank you all for your help and tips with making my first purchase, you’re all great and friendly on here.
I’m sure I’ll be posting more pleas for help as time goes on, cheers for now B95C3CA2-21D4-4F55-A757-EDEF373B2016.jpeg BDF544BF-B50F-4F72-8229-52CF3229F1DE.jpeg F17262AE-3B58-4C91-A4A6-C41D232A577A.jpeg

Marv666

Synchromatic
Jul 26, 2020
Germany
Okay I was up late last night and early this morning searching & comparing models and looking at secondhand ads for G5129 & G5124, also came across a G5120.
But I decided to go and check out the G5420T and it was in stock about 70 miles away.
Home now with it so thank you all for your help and tips with making my first purchase, you’re all great and friendly on here.
I’m sure I’ll be posting more pleas for help as time goes on, cheers for now View attachment 171587 View attachment 171588 View attachment 171589
That´s awesome!! The blue 5420 is soooo pretty!!

Shock

Gretschie
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
I’m sure I’ll be posting more pleas for help as time goes on, cheers for now View attachment 171587 View attachment 171588 View attachment 171589
You did pretty good. I bet it will become your #1. That one will hold your attention for quite a while. Welcome.

Jelly Roll Horton

Country Gent
Nov 10, 2017
Portland, OR
Welcome Pete.
I am a total rockabilly fan and have been studying it for about four years. My Gretsch guitar choices were first a 2622, then a 5422, and now a Tennesee Rose. I matched those with a VoxAC10 and an MXR carbon copy pedal, and found the sound I wanted. What I have discovered is there are myriad variations within the genre, and what made me most aware of this is an internet station coming out of the UK. They’ve got a huge library and it’s fun to jam along with their playlists. You may already be aware of it, but if not, here’s the link.
https://www.rockabillyradio.net/

JustLikeEddie

Electromatic
Nov 25, 2021
London, UK
Thanks for your welcomes and help, much appreciated.
I hadn’t listened to RockabillyRadio.net so that’s handy and I’ll give it a try. I’ve got a decent size rockabilly and rock n roll vinyl collection that I’ve collected over last 40 odd years.

I’ve always stuck with listening to vinyl on my hi-fi separates and just had maybe 10% of my collection on iTunes but time to get the whole collection on to digital now, easier to learn playing along with I should think?
When my retirement starts in 4 months I’m going to have lots of time to get practising.

Shock

Gretschie
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
Welcome Pete.
I am a total rockabilly fan and have been studying it for about four years. My Gretsch guitar choices were first a 2622, then a 5422, and now a Tennesee Rose. I matched those with a VoxAC10 and an MXR carbon copy pedal, and found the sound I wanted. What I have discovered is there are myriad variations within the genre, and what made me most aware of this is an internet station coming out of the UK. They’ve got a huge library and it’s fun to jam along with their playlists. You may already be aware of it, but if not, here’s the link.
https://www.rockabillyradio.net/
All guitar players should study, at least a little, rockabilly. It is how I improved my right hand skills. Just playing rock and roll, I was hiding poor right hand technique. Can't hide poor right hand technique playing rockabilly.

Latest posts