Hi all, new here and hoping for some pointers

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by JustLikeEddie, Nov 25, 2021.

1. JustLikeEddie

JustLikeEddie Electromatic

Nov 25, 2021
    London, UK
    Hi I’m Pete and a newbie to guitars but I had to go with the best!
    My fave music genres are Rockabilly, Rock n Roll and some of the older blues players too.

Watching live bands Gretsch guitars always grab my attention so I’m on the lookout for some help from you kind folk.

I looked at a G2410TG Streamliner and a G5655TG Electromatic today as these are within my price range of sub £1,000 or $1,400

For Rockabilly would the hollow body 2410 of the centre block 5655 be a better sound?
    Also I saw a video about dyna coil vs the humbucker and it was mentioned that dyna coil gave a better twang for rockabilly sound.
    Can these be changed on the Gretsch at a later date please?
    I’m always open to any other suggestion of different models or tips you could help me with in choosing what to buy.
    Unfortunately the 6120 is out of price range for next few years…
    thank you for helping

thunder58 likes this.
  2. Jeremiah_S

Jeremiah_S Electromatic

Oct 19, 2018
    New England
    For a Rockabilly sound, I would definitely start with a full hollow body. I've spoken to people about the Streamliner series and the current line at least has gotten positive reviews. Welcome to Gretsch-Talk!

Dynasonic are more of a single coil sound. The Broadtron likely to come with your G2410TG is going to be full sized humbucker. Either one will sound terrific and of course the hollow body sound unplugged is lovely all by itself. All parts can be upgraded, that is half the fun!

My first Gretsch was G5420T, I bought it used and I could not be more happy. The previous owner did some of the upgrades already I would have done so that was a bonus.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  3. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Pete!

The 5420 is as good start ,then mod to your hearts content!:)
    A used one should be cheaper too.

rake_ether and JustLikeEddie like this.
  4. JustLikeEddie

Nov 25, 2021
    London, UK
    Thanks Jeremiah, I’ve just been watching videos with the G5420T and the G5422TG models both with FilterTron pickups and the sound is amazing.
    I’ll look at these if still available over the next couple of days,
    Thanks for your help

5. JustLikeEddie

Nov 25, 2021
    London, UK
    Thank you also JC, didn’t see this model at the store today but will search for stock on the net now

JC higgy likes this.
  6. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Welcome! Another vote for the G5420 here… Incredible guitars for the money & not that far behind the pro series quality wise…

JustLikeEddie likes this.
  7. JustLikeEddie

Nov 25, 2021
    London, UK
    Thanks Trash Kidd, I’ve just found a couple of these listed and in stock within driving distance from me, so heading out to check them out tomorrow.
    Is the G5420T the same size as the G2410TG or is it the smaller body like the G5655TG please?

Trash Kidd likes this.
  8. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    The 5420 is the same body size as the G2420…. Not sure about the 2410.. Good luck & have fun tomorrow..

9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Pete!
    vintage_grunge_uk_flag_union_jack_doormat.jpg

10. Gregor

Gregor Country Gent

Welcome to the Gretsch world JustLikeEddie.....where you're into rockabilly, that wouldn't be like Eddie Cochran would it? Sorry I have no experience with those particular guitars, but do have an orange 5120 (see avatar)that I bang on for rockabilly.... sounds decent by my ears.
    Good luck in your search Pete.

11. JustLikeEddie

Nov 25, 2021
    London, UK
  12. JustLikeEddie

Nov 25, 2021
    London, UK
    Thanks audept, feeling at home already!

audept likes this.
  13. JustLikeEddie

Nov 25, 2021
    London, UK
    Hi Gregor, yeah I’ve been into rock n roll since 14 years old then branched out a few years later into Rockabilly.
    Main artists I like are yes Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Ray Campi, Mac Curtis, Chuck Berry but loads more too.
    I flew to US for a 6 month road trip and visited Buddy Holly Museum in Lubbock, TX on Buddy’s birthday in 2008.
    I bumped into Tommy Allsup and a few other great guys there. Next day I stopped by The Guitar Center at Lubbock and was looking at the G5120 at that time but airline excess baggage charges back to London ruled that purchase out.
    So here I am 13 years later ready to go for Gretsch.
    Also got more time on my hands now to enjoy my new hobby

Floo and Gregor like this.
  14. robl

robl Electromatic

Jan 21, 2011
    Edmonton
    Check out the G5410T - great price and great reviews - I just bought one for my rockabilly band.

15. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    The 5420 is a really good guitar! Good starting point indeed, but so would be the streamliner or a 5120.
    Unmodded the 5420 will probably sound better to your ears.
    The 5420 has blacktop filtertrons which have more twang than the humbuckers in the streamliner or 5120.
    In case you would be willing to buy used you could also look into the 5124-5129.
    They are basically the 5120 in different colors and with De Armond Single Coil Pickups which are incredible for Rockabilly.

So overall there is no bad choice, they´re all good guitars.

16. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    Here´s a sound demo of a 5129....

I would say the De Armond or Dynasonic single coils are more the 50s Rockabilly sound and the Filtertrons more Neo Rockabilly

Gregor, thunder58 and JustLikeEddie like this.
  17. Gregor

Gregor Country Gent

Interesting venture Pete. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

18. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Hi. How ya doin'?

19. JustLikeEddie

Nov 25, 2021
    London, UK
    Marc, thanks for sharing your video and helpful info.
    It was good to hear your 5129 with the single coil pickups, definitely a great rockabilly sound.

I will look into these to see what’s available but if I do end up with the G5420 then hopefully I could buy Dynasonic coil and get that fitted a little further down the line.

cheers

20. JustLikeEddie

Nov 25, 2021
    London, UK
    Hiya Slim, all good thanks and enjoying this great forum.
    All the best

wabash slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.