Hi all.... New 6228

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
Hi all.
Long time LP user, and I just purchased a really cool G6228.
love it !
I'm sure that I'll have some questions, so I figured this would be a good source of info.
Cheers

rPyXIhw.jpg

Hey Des,

Welcome!

Wonderful.

I really love the vintage Rickenbacker color combination, and the vintage mother of pearl headstock logo!

Is there a ''vintage date'' attached with this model?

So cool!

Best,

BIB.

IMG_1320.JPG

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2012
France
Hey @Desmosedici - Welcome Lefty Mate ! :cool:;)

How those Broad'Trons compare to your PAFs ?
I have found the Broad'Trons of my G5220 as powerful as PAFs but much clearer...

Tentatively, I switched to DC SHT for more Funk/Soul tone, but a back-swap is easy :

OH4WIb-P1070632.jpg

A+!

Chmason85

Country Gent
May 1, 2018
Philadelphia
Hey Des,

Welcome!

Wonderful.

I really love the vintage Rickenbacker color combination, and the vintage mother of pearl headstock logo!

Is there a ''vintage date'' attached with this model?

So cool!

Best,

BIB.

View attachment 161629
That’s what attracted me to them as well, like if Ric designed a Gretsch it would be the 6228, and that’s why I got one. Also because I never played a gretsch with humbuckers!

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
Awe man, I hate to break it to you, but it's a counterfeit. But I'll be willing to buy it off you for $400...

Nice looking guitar, congrats and welcome!

Desmosedici

Electromatic
May 2, 2021
Australia

I have found the Broad'Trons of my G5220 as powerful as PAFs but much clearer...

Tentatively, I switched to DC SHT for more Funk/Soul tone, but a back-swap is easy :

OH4WIb-P1070632.jpg

A+!

Hi hc,
I don't have an LP with real PAFs, but I have 2 Standards, one with SD APH 2S (the Slash Signature set), and one with SD Whole Lotta Humbucker (the Jimmy Page set). As far as I can tell at the moment, the BTs get fizzy a little earlier with gain, but are more articulate when clean and with lower gain.
That said, I like the Fizz, as it brightens the Orange / Supro stack, which can be quite dark.
My LP Classic with P90s is such a different animal though.
The sound I'm going for at the moment is the Elliot Easton / Creedence Clearwater Revisited live tour.

Quick question though, can one lower the Neck pickup, or is it shimmed and non-adjustable?

Cheers and thanks all

Desmosedici

Electromatic
May 2, 2021
Australia
Thanks mate. The case info has some olde replicated user guides, but only mentions adjusting the pole-pieces.
Nothing about lowering the pickups though.
I'm guessing it's the 3 small screws (2 on top side, 1 on pickguard side) but I haven't messed with it yet.
Can anyone confirm please?
Thanks again.

Chmason85

Country Gent
May 1, 2018
Philadelphia
Hi hc,
I don't have an LP with real PAFs, but I have 2 Standards, one with SD APH 2S (the Slash Signature set), and one with SD Whole Lotta Humbucker (the Jimmy Page set). As far as I can tell at the moment, the BTs get fizzy a little earlier with gain, but are more articulate when clean and with lower gain.
That said, I like the Fizz, as it brightens the Orange / Supro stack, which can be quite dark.
My LP Classic with P90s is such a different animal though.
The sound I'm going for at the moment is the Elliot Easton / Creedence Clearwater Revisited live tour.

Quick question though, can one lower the Neck pickup, or is it shimmed and non-adjustable?

Cheers and thanks all
Both of the pickups can be raised and lowered as they are suspended from screws, English mount I believe it’s called. The treble side has one screw that is purely for height and the bass side has two screws that adjust both height and angle of the pickup. And you don’t have to remove the guard to adjust the pickups! These little things really help as I played around with the height of these pickups a lot to dial them in and it was nice to just grab a screwdriver and be able to make on-the-fly adjustments while I was plugged in and playing. I never measure, just adjust until they sound how I want and are balanced with one another.

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida

OH4WIb-P1070632.jpg

A+!

I found the BT65A in the 6228 has more clarity and sparkle than the stock BT in the 5220 that I tried in a shop. I wish Gretsch offered them separately but don’t believe they do.

mdahearn

Electromatic
May 13, 2020
Oakland
I've got the same guitar, but I put a B3 Bigsby on it with a Towner bar. Love it even more. Wondering, if I backed the pickups away from the strings, would it be a little less "humbuckery" and a bit "clearer?" I don't need the power and grind, looking for as much clarity as possible. Don't want them to sound like Filtertrons, just bring in a little more top end?