Hi all.... New 6228

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by Desmosedici, May 2, 2021.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, nice Jet, and welcome to Gretschville!

2. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    Used to play an LP, then I got my 6228, haven't played it since then and just sold it. You won't regret it buddy - and your shoulder will also thank you for it!

3. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    You figured right Desosedici. Welcome and congrats on a lovely guitar.

4. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Hello and Welcome to G-T @Desmosedici. Glad to have you here. Beautiful Jet.

5. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Hey Des,

Welcome!

Wonderful.

I really love the vintage Rickenbacker color combination, and the vintage mother of pearl headstock logo!

Is there a ''vintage date'' attached with this model?

So cool!

Best,

BIB.

IMG_1320.JPG

Chmason85 likes this.
  6. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Hey @Desmosedici - Welcome Lefty Mate ! :cool:;)

How those Broad'Trons compare to your PAFs ?
    I have found the Broad'Trons of my G5220 as powerful as PAFs but much clearer...

Tentatively, I switched to DC SHT for more Funk/Soul tone, but a back-swap is easy :

[​IMG]

A+!

Desmosedici and Chmason85 like this.
  7. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    That’s what attracted me to them as well, like if Ric designed a Gretsch it would be the 6228, and that’s why I got one. Also because I never played a gretsch with humbuckers!

Back in Black likes this.
  8. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT!

Congrats on the new geet.

9. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Awe man, I hate to break it to you, but it's a counterfeit. But I'll be willing to buy it off you for $400...

Nice looking guitar, congrats and welcome!

Desmosedici likes this.
  10. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, would love to have a try of one of those jets, just too afraid I'd buy one lol.

11. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    Welcome and congratulations!

12. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    Welcome!

Well you definitely got the correct color. But it looks like you didn't realize it is backwards!

You'll like it here.

Desmosedici likes this.
  13. Desmosedici

Desmosedici Electromatic

May 2, 2021
    Australia

Hi hc,
    I don't have an LP with real PAFs, but I have 2 Standards, one with SD APH 2S (the Slash Signature set), and one with SD Whole Lotta Humbucker (the Jimmy Page set). As far as I can tell at the moment, the BTs get fizzy a little earlier with gain, but are more articulate when clean and with lower gain.
    That said, I like the Fizz, as it brightens the Orange / Supro stack, which can be quite dark.
    My LP Classic with P90s is such a different animal though.
    The sound I'm going for at the moment is the Elliot Easton / Creedence Clearwater Revisited live tour.

Quick question though, can one lower the Neck pickup, or is it shimmed and non-adjustable?

Cheers and thanks all

Chmason85 likes this.
  14. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    On the G5220 yes, but on G6228, I don't know, but I suppose that yes also... G6228 0wners will tell us ! ;)

A+!

15. Desmosedici

Desmosedici Electromatic

May 2, 2021
    Australia
    Thanks mate. The case info has some olde replicated user guides, but only mentions adjusting the pole-pieces.
    Nothing about lowering the pickups though.
    I'm guessing it's the 3 small screws (2 on top side, 1 on pickguard side) but I haven't messed with it yet.
    Can anyone confirm please?
    Thanks again.

16. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

17. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    Both of the pickups can be raised and lowered as they are suspended from screws, English mount I believe it’s called. The treble side has one screw that is purely for height and the bass side has two screws that adjust both height and angle of the pickup. And you don’t have to remove the guard to adjust the pickups! These little things really help as I played around with the height of these pickups a lot to dial them in and it was nice to just grab a screwdriver and be able to make on-the-fly adjustments while I was plugged in and playing. I never measure, just adjust until they sound how I want and are balanced with one another.

Desmosedici likes this.
  18. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Welcome to Gretsch-Talk Des. Congrats on the Very nice 6228!

19. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I found the BT65A in the 6228 has more clarity and sparkle than the stock BT in the 5220 that I tried in a shop. I wish Gretsch offered them separately but don’t believe they do.

Desmosedici and hcsterg like this.
  20. mdahearn

mdahearn Newbie

May 13, 2020
    Oakland
    I've got the same guitar, but I put a B3 Bigsby on it with a Towner bar. Love it even more. Wondering, if I backed the pickups away from the strings, would it be a little less "humbuckery" and a bit "clearer?" I don't need the power and grind, looking for as much clarity as possible. Don't want them to sound like Filtertrons, just bring in a little more top end?

Chmason85 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.