HFCPJSEG3TSD

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Synchro, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Of course, everyone knows that this means Happy Fender Classic Player Jaguar Special Electric Guitar 3 Tone Sunburst Day.

As with all things in my life, there’s a story. A number of years ago, I bought a new, MIJ Jaguar, basically a 1966 RI with block inlays and a sunburst finish. I didn’t care much for the pickups and had installed a set of Seymour Duncan Hot Jaguar pickups. It was a good guitar, but I never much cared for the bridge design of offsets and this one let me down on while playing a gig.

I had toyed, off and on, with another Jaguar, but really didn’t want to deal with the infamous offset bridge. Besides that, my Bass VI has one, so I’ve already paid my penance. :) I spoke to Warmoth about buying a Jaguar body routed for a Strat style trem, but that came to naught. I checked eBay and stumbled upon a N.O.S. Classic Player Jaguar Special, which mounts a tune-o-matic. The price was ok, so I pulled the trigger.

upload_2020-6-28_10-47-58.png

2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Congrats, glad you found something that you think will work for you!

3. Jim Tozier

Jim Tozier Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I saw the title of the thread and was like, "what the heck??"

Makes total sense now! Looks like fun... enjoy it!

drmilktruck likes this.
  4. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    god, the squier vi bridge. saints preserve us.

5. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats!

Been looking at offsets lately meself.

6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Actually, the MIJ VI bridge. My VI is a MIJ model which was part of a batch which were imported in 2013. The Fender Japan instruments are very well made. Frankly, I would choose one over a Corona Custom Shop instrument. I have a CIJ Mustang bass and the MIJ VI, both of which are very well made. The MIJ Jaguar pickups seem very treble to my ear, so I replaced them on both my 1966 Jag’ RI and on my Bass VI. In the case of the Jag’, I used Seymour’s Hot Jag set. In the case of the VI, I used Fender Pure Vintage ‘65s.

The Jag I ordered today is MIM, and prior experience tells me that will make for a good instrument. I had a Tex Mex Strat, which I bought in the ‘90s. It was an excellent instrument. The pickups were very good sounding and were hardly expensive. That guitar exists to this day and to the best of my knowledge, the OEM pickups are still working as well as ever. At the time I bought my Tex Mex, there was a Corona-made model called the Roadhouse Strat. I chose the Tex Mex over the the Roadhouse, which was between 2-3 x more costly.

This little Jag appears to be at a similar sweet spot. It has a good feature set and the quality standards of MIM Fenders are historically very high. The pickups are listed as beingN “special design ‘hot’ single-coil Jaguar pickups”. I’m optimistic, but if I don’t like them, I can always shop around for replacement pickups.

Merc and LivingMyDream like this.
  7. Bought a ‘30 Ford wagon and we call it a Woody...

Congratulations Mark, bet she’s a real hoot!

8. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    How’d you know? :)

9. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I was keeping the woodie a secret. :)

10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Beautiful my friend , congratulations

11. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    They have a unique appeal. The body give you perfect elbow support when seated, which is a nice thing to have in a solid body.

Very few people know the ins and outs of the Jaguar's control set, but they are a study in and of themselves.The rhythm preset is a great idea. You use one set of controls to setup a rhythm sound which has no effect on the main control set. You can switch instantly back to the main control set, which can be setup however you want it to be. There's also a "strangle switch", which cuts midrange dramatically. It's an amazing concept. https://www.fender.com/articles/tech-talk/jaguar-controls-past-and-present-what-you-need-to-know/
    Thanks.

JC higgy and thunder58 like this.
  12. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    the mij cij offsets - especially post 2000 - are usually excellent. even some of the 90s ones were great - but not all.

i had a mid 90s mij vi for a year, would have been great if decent strings had been available. and a friend had a 90s CAR jag that was amazing.

my first tele was an early run of mim, had zero build complaints.

13. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, I like it. I wonder what the Fender briefing was like when they came up with it.

14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’ve owned Custom Shop Fenders that weren’t nearly as nice as off the shelf MIJ Fenders. Quality is something that seems to be intrinsic to the culture of Japan. We see it in the Gretsch Pro Line as well.

I imagine that some of the comments about the standard Jaguar bridge were heavily redacted. :)

The offsets were far from universally popular, back in the day. The main reason for this was the bridge design. With all due respect for Saint Leo, this bridge design was not his best work.

Ricochet and mister rain like this.
  15. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    yeah, my terada gretsch is so good that i’m buying a second one.

16. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Congrats on the Jag, Syncro!

I picked up a Squire Vintage Modified Jaguar a couple of years ago, and I really liked everything about it but the bridge. There were several bridge mods that I could have done, but I just never seemed to have the time to deal with it , so I started getting soured on in, and when I retired, I gave it to a friend, because he had admired it.

I'm surprised to see that there is a Jag with a tune-o-matic bridge, because I never saw anyone suggest that as a possible mod. It appears you're going to need a nice pair of sandals.

Oh, and maybe a few t-shirts with logos like this:

[​IMG]

17. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    the adustomatic is actually a very common mod. see: j.macsis, sonic youth, classic player jm.

18. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    09FC6B9C-EDC0-448B-BCEF-DDD51DDB6A85.jpeg The original seller on eBay called today and apologized, because he didn’t actually have one to sell me. I told him I wanted an immediate refund, and, to their credit, they did so.

Fortunately, there was another one on eBay, and I grabbed it. Actually, I’m probably better off for it, if the pictures are accurate, this one has nicer wood grain.

Merc, JC higgy, Winnie Thomas and 3 others like this.
  19. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Congrats Synchro!

Truth be told, I can’t stand TOM/AOMs on a Gretsch or a Jag/JM. Both are dependent upon play in the threads and bridge holes to move with the strings during vibrato use. Any heavy use will result in the return pitch being off. That and the usual buzz from using it with shallow break angles. I’ve no beef with the original Floating Tremolo bridge, it works fine, given the standard advice “once you learn how to set it up”. No, you don’t need 11s flatwounds either.

I have a MIM Classic Player Special that I really like. I had a Squier VM Jag and a CV 70s Jag and sold them both. I figured I’m just not a Jaguar person, whatever that means. Then I found a deal on a CP Jag in CAR, about 350, so I went for it. The previous owner added locking tuners, a LSR roller nut, and a 4-way blade switch. I added a ABM roller bridge, and a AVRI trem plate. The pickups are on the hot side, but they sound fine in a pinch. I’d like to get some Novak lipstick Jag pickups eventually, but I’m in no rush. With all the roller action on my Jag, there really aren’t any tuning issues, and I run 10s on it :)

B0D18E5A-D823-40B4-8ACB-0D11BDFF069F.jpeg

20. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’m not really a fan of T-O-Ms myself, but I was betrayed by the bridge on my former Jaguar. It was an outdoor gig at a community event in Marana. It was not as hades, no shade and I was living only by the grace of a straw cowboy hat and lots of bottled water. Then, in an act of betrayal straight from the annals of evil deeds, the bridge decided to shift and everything went to pieces. You may recall hearing the screams of anguish coming from the southeast, on an otherwise pleasant (if a bit hot) spring day. :)

On my Gretsch, I use a solid bridge, usually a Compton. I’ve noticed that the bridge moves slightly on its posts. I never have any problems with returning to pitch when I use the Bigsby on my Gretsch. Time will tell how the Jag will work with the T-O-M. I have some extras Comptons around which I may try.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.