Hey all

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by driftinduke, Nov 29, 2021.

1. driftinduke

driftinduke Electromatic

Nov 29, 2021
    Norfolk, UK
    Hey all

Finally joined the forum I've been reading for a couple of years (I have to admit because I have a problem, so please forgive my impertinence). I've had a G6120 Nashville for about 18 months (wanted one for years), which I love more and more, and a new G5220 Electromatic Jet arrived today. I thought it was time to have a humbucking guitar (all my electric guitars are single coil).

Keep safe everyone

Duke

loudnlousy, GlenP, radd and 5 others like this.
  2. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Welcome! Nice Gretsch choices

3. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Hi. How ya doin'?
    I'm a single coil guy myself.

driftinduke and Craig Encinitas like this.
  4. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Welcome to the forum. Best of luck!

5. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    Welcome! Post pics please.

6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Duke!
    vintage_grunge_uk_flag_union_jack_doormat.jpg

7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome friend :)

8. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Welcome to the forum.

9. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

10. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Hello Duke, welcome to GT. Good to have you join us.

Pics would be nice.

11. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Whataboutye Duke,welcome to GT!

Congrats on the new geet.

12. Gregor

Gregor Country Gent

Welcome Duke. Two great guitars you have there. I have a 5220 as well and would love a 6120 but a 5120 will have to do for now. Yep,we're awaiting pics when you have a chance.

13. driftinduke

driftinduke Electromatic

Nov 29, 2021
    Norfolk, UK
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, I'll have to get my camera out if you're looking for page 3 guitar pics of my lovely pair (sorry, a UK thing).

I need to own up to something regards the 5220, I nearly sent it back! Some of you may have spotted my post about the bridge pickup sounding out of phase, which the following morning I couldn't hear, but I really didn't like the sound of the guitar running through a Princeton 65 RI (that had been modified and upgraded by Rat Valve Amps (not by me, I bought it secondhand), an amp that sounds fanbloomingtastic with the 6120s Dynasonic pups and my PartsCaster vintage style Tele, then I remembered I had the - NFB Switch - (negative feedback switch) turned off. For those of you that may not know, by taking out the standard amps NFB circuit, it makes the Princeton sound slightly grungy, adds harmonics and gives it an edge, which for some reason sounded rubbish with the 5220. It made it sound too aggressive and one dimensional, which I'm struggling to comprehend considering the added harmonics..? Anyway, putting the amp back to standard mode makes the 5220 sound really nice, phew!

And another thing I have to admit to. Despite not liking the sound of the 5220 at first, what stopped me sending it back before I discovered the Princeton issue, was it is a very nicely built guitar, looks and plays lovely. I decided it must be the Broadtron pups I didn't like, so I ordered some Mojo Pickups 'Mojotron' (Filtertron) pups (I have Marc's vintage tele pickups). They won't arrive until the new year, giving me more time to get to know the 5220 in it's standard setup, which I am liking now, but I do like the idea of some decent Filtertrons. If only our feelings towards guitars were not so emotionally charged, life would be so much cheaper...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    new6659 likes this.
  14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
  15. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Welcome and congrats!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.