Help with an unleaded GAS problem re: Electromatic Jet

GenghisBomb

Electromatic
Sep 26, 2021
Canada
Hey guys, long time lurker, and aspiring Gretsch owner.

I started playing electric guitar again in late 2020, after a decade plus layoff, and it's been a blast. Never really having gear, I went a little nuts out of the gate, and in two years, I have bought and sold at least ten guitars. I just culled the roster down from 6 to 3 by selling an Epiphone Les Paul, and trading another Epiphone and PRS SE plus the proceeds towards a Sire T7. This left me with much more diversity in my stable, as each guitar more or less stands alone. I have:

Gibson SG Tribute
Epiphone ES-339 Pro
Sire L7 Les Paul
Tire T7 Tele (just paid for today, arriving Friday)

I *also* have a 2011 Gibson SG Standard w/SD Pearly Gates on layaway at that store. I have around half of the $900 they were asking paid off.

On the way out the door today, I spotted a used Electromatic Jet in "Bristol Fog" w/hardshell on the wall for $385. I had to plug the darn thing in. I didn't *want* to like it, but I did. I definitely got some "PAF" vibes from it, but it had its own thing going on as well.

So here's my crazy brainworm:

What if I cancelled the layaway on the Gibson SG Standard, which will almost *definitely* overlap a lot with my SG Tribute, and grabbed the Jet instead? Do you guys think the Jets are close enough to a "PAF" sound that it might overlap with the SG and LP I have already?

I *really* like the SG Standard, and am not opposed to owning two SG's, but I gotta tell ya, that Jet was a fine piece of kit. I would *really* prefer to not add one to the roster, as I like the band being a four-piece for now, but that darn Jet is calling me! Thoughts?

Last edited:

5120mantis

Country Gent
Mar 6, 2011
nj
Electromatic jets are cool , you're paying off a Gibson SG and if you're in that territory I would start looking at a proline duo jet, it may take longer to get it in your hands but it will be better in the long run, I had an electromatic jet for years and modified it, it wasn't a bad guitar but I had the opportunity to by a pro line jet and the electromatic got sold not long after.

GenghisBomb

Electromatic
Sep 26, 2021
Canada
Electromatic jets are cool , you're paying off a Gibson SG and if you're in that territory I would start looking at a proline duo jet, it may take longer to get it in your hands but it will be better in the long run, I had an electromatic jet for years and modified it, it wasn't a bad guitar but I had the opportunity to by a pro line jet and the electromatic got sold not long after.
That was a concern. I was eyeing this as a bit of a "beater" that I could leave out on a stand by the amp for impromptu playing sessions. I had a little Ibanez RG in that role for around six months, and it definitely led to be playing more. I find sometimes that having a cheap guitar around that you don't consider to be "precious" can be helpful. You see some Fender guys have a cheap Squier in that role, for example.

5120mantis

Country Gent
Mar 6, 2011
nj
Well then, if your set on a less expensive beater by all means a pro jet is fine, but I think it's better than being relegated to a beater.

Faye

Gretschie
Mar 10, 2019
Derbyshire
I have an Electromatic Double Jet and a '61 Gibson SG. They're very different, and I wouldn't get one as a substitute for the other. The Gibson is my no.1, but the Jet is the one I reach for multiple times a day, so you're onto something with your 'beater' idea. The obvious answer is to get both, of course.

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada

I started playing electric guitar again in late 2020, after a decade plus layoff, and it's been a blast. Never really having gear, I went a little nuts out of the gate, and in two years, I have bought and sold at least ten guitars. I just culled the roster down from 6 to 3 by selling an Epiphone Les Paul, and trading another Epiphone and PRS SE plus the proceeds towards a Sire T7. This left me with much more diversity in my stable, as each guitar more or less stands alone. I have:

Gibson SG Tribute
Epiphone ES-339 Pro
Sire L7 Les Paul

I *also* have a 2011 Gibson SG Standard w/SD Pearly Gates on layaway at that store. I have around half of the $900 they were asking paid off.

On the way out the door today, I spotted a used Electromatic Jet in "Bristol Fog" w/hardshell on the wall for $385. I had to plug the darn thing in. I didn't *want* to like it, but I did. I definitely got some "PAF" vibes from it, but it had its own thing going on as well.

What if I cancelled the layaway on the Gibson SG Standard, which will almost *definitely* overlap a lot with my SG Tribute, and grabbed the Jet instead? Do you guys think the Jets are close enough to a "PAF" sound that it might overlap with the SG and LP I have already?

I *really* like the SG Standard, and am not opposed to owning two SG's, but I gotta tell ya, that Jet was a fine piece of kit. I would *really* prefer to not add one to the roster, as I like the band being a four-piece for now, but that darn Jet is calling me! Thoughts?
GB,

From one Canadian to another...EH!...Sounds like you're new to GT, so welcome.

What a wonderful predicament you currently find yourself in!

Watch that impulse buying, it'll get ya!

Best,

BIB

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
It's a great idea to have a beater right at hand, be it electric or acoustic. I have acoustics out as that's what I play most of the time. A Jim Dandy is a nice one to leave out. You don't need to fire up an amp, and you won't wake the house up if the Muse strikes you late at night. It's not like leaving an expensive Martin out where the kids and critters can bump into it.

GenghisBomb

Electromatic
Sep 26, 2021
Canada
Well then, if your set on a less expensive beater by all means a pro jet is fine, but I think it's better than being relegated to a beater.
When I saw "beater", I probably mean something different than you do. I baby *all* my guitars. By "beater", I mean a guitar I will probably leave on a stand next to my amp, as one I will grab for impromptu quick noodle sessions. The rest of my guitars live in their cases until I get one to play, and go back after. I will usually leave the guitar I was playing on a stand for an hour or two after my session, with the amp on, in case I want to play again later.
I have an Electromatic Double Jet and a '61 Gibson SG. The Gibson is my no.1, but the Jet is the one I reach for multiple times a day, so you're onto something with your 'beater' idea. The obvious answer is to get both, of course.
Yeah, *I know*. And I could see that happening, but I *really* don't want it to, as I *just* cut the roster down to a nice number!
Will you get all your money back from the lay away?
Oh god yes. The store I mainly deal with are a dream. They just took in two guitars towards a brand new Sire T7 Tele, and gave me a *fantastic* trade value, and are letting me pick the actual guitar I want from the two they are getting in. Also, if I *did* decide to cancel the layaway, and the money I have banked with them would meet or exceed the Jet's price, I would just pay $150-$200 into my account with them for the next purchase, so they're getting some "skin" in the deal. I am a small business owner myself, and anyone I deal with gets consideration any time they do me a solid, or at least, in my opinion they do!
It's a great idea to have a beater right at hand, be it electric or acoustic. (...) A Jim Dandy is a nice one to leave out. You don't need to fire up an amp, and you won't wake the house up if the Muse strikes you late at night.
I have actually thought about getting one of those, both for that purpose, and for taking to conventions I work with my business!

WalATX

Electromatic
May 3, 2021
Illinois
Assuming you are talking about the G5220 version, I own one in dark cherry and it is one of my favorite guitars, price be darned. I just like it.

The pups are somewhere between a paf and a strat sound. I like that a lot.

I had one where one of the tuners was junk, so I swapped it at the store. A common mod is to replace the master volume pot (B500k I think) with an A500k (smoother roll-off).

The finish on mine is excellent though I’ve seen some with “Friday afternoon” binding.

Anyway I recommend them!

Londoner

Gretschie
Dec 18, 2020
UK
Contrary to what some might say, I don't find the Blacktop Broadtrons in my G5220 Jet "PAF" sounding.
I've got a Tribute Les Paul, and the sounds are way different.
ps, The Jet gets used a lot more than the LP!

Paulie26

Gretschie
Sep 7, 2020
Ireland
Hav

Gibson SG Tribute
Epiphone ES-339 Pro
Sire L7 Les Paul

Have to ask: whats your opinion/review of the SG Tribute? Its cropped up on my radar

LivingMyDream

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
May 4, 2016
Peculiar, Missouri
The Electromatic Jets are nice guitars and the Broadtron pickups are a move toward the PAF sound, but a Gretsch will still have that twang, even if it's less pronounced on the Electromatic Jets. I have a Pro Jet that is the immediate forerunner of the Electromatic Jet, and I can say that from the first moment I got my hands on a Pro Jet, I knew that I was ok without having an LP (never got along with SG's).

If you need the PAF sound, then you should go for the SG, but if you're ok with a slightly different flavor then the Jet might just be what you need.

GenghisBomb

Electromatic
Sep 26, 2021
Canada
Update: The Jet sold :(

It's probably for the best, as the timing was *not* right. I can always get one another time when the stable has room! Also, i'm eyeing a Boss Katana as well...

Hav

Have to ask: whats your opinion/review of the SG Tribute? Its cropped up on my radar
So the Tribute line is very interesting in general, but the SG even moreso, as the specs are *very* similar between that and the Standard. Consider the things that are the same:

Pickups
Neck profile
Electronics
Tuners

So realistically, the only thing that's different is that the Tribute has a Maple neck instead of a Mahogany one and block inlays. So in short, if you want an SG, and don't need block inlays, get the Tribute. I got mine used for $600, and it's a rock and roll *machine*. It's just perfect for high gain/crunch tones, though it does sound nice clean as well.

I actually think of the Gibson Tribute line as filling a similar role to the Epiphone line, as strange a comparison as that may seem.

If someone is a Strat, Gretsch, Jazzmaster, Ibanez RG, or Telecaster guy, and just wants a Les Paul as a secondary or tertiary guitar, an Epiphone Les Paul is a great choice. Similarly, if someone (with a higher budget) wants an SG, but doesn't see it being their main guitar, the Tribute line is wonderful.

I honestly can't find a thing wrong with mine. I also can't imagine buying any of the upper end Epiphones, which are in the $900-$1100 range now, when I could get a Gibson Tribute for $200-$300 more. One minor but cool point is that the Tributes come with *the best* gig bag I have ever seen. I actually prefer it to my hardshell cases, and wish all my guitars came in one!

I have been GAS'ing for a Les Paul Tribute, but the spec sheet is almost identical to the SG, so I am holding off. For now!

Paulie26

Gretschie
Sep 7, 2020
Ireland
Update: The Jet sold :(

It's probably for the best, as the timing was *not* right. I can always get one another time when the stable has room! Also, i'm eyeing a Boss Katana as well...

So the Tribute line is very interesting in general, but the SG even moreso, as the specs are *very* similar between that and the Standard. Consider the things that are the same:

Pickups
Neck profile
Electronics
Tuners

So realistically, the only thing that's different is that the Tribute has a Maple neck instead of a Mahogany one and block inlays. So in short, if you want an SG, and don't need block inlays, get the Tribute. I got mine used for $600, and it's a rock and roll *machine*. It's just perfect for high gain/crunch tones, though it does sound nice clean as well.

I actually think of the Gibson Tribute line as filling a similar role to the Epiphone line, as strange a comparison as that may seem.

If someone is a Strat, Gretsch, Jazzmaster, Ibanez RG, or Telecaster guy, and just wants a Les Paul as a secondary or tertiary guitar, an Epiphone Les Paul is a great choice. Similarly, if someone (with a higher budget) wants an SG, but doesn't see it being their main guitar, the Tribute line is wonderful.

I honestly can't find a thing wrong with mine. I also can't imagine buying any of the upper end Epiphones, which are in the $900-$1100 range now, when I could get a Gibson Tribute for $200-$300 more. One minor but cool point is that the Tributes come with *the best* gig bag I have ever seen. I actually prefer it to my hardshell cases, and wish all my guitars came in one!

I have been GAS'ing for a Les Paul Tribute, but the spec sheet is almost identical to the SG, so I am holding off. For now!
Thanks!
I did get a Les Paul Tribute recently and i like it, US built guitar feels and sounds great.
Was thinking of the SG recently...

GenghisBomb

Electromatic
Sep 26, 2021
Canada
Thanks!
I did get a Les Paul Tribute recently and i like it, US built guitar feels and sounds great.
Was thinking of the SG recently...
I think you might find they are too similar. They don't sound *exactly* alike, but they *do* sound very similar. I can imagine myself getting the LP Tribute at one point also, just for the LP feel, and because I want one damnit! I actually think the LP Tribute is borderline the perfect guitar for me, and wish I had bought one out of the gate. But oh well, you live and you learn.

GenghisBomb

Electromatic
Sep 26, 2021
Canada
So a little followup, another local store had a killer deal on a Boss Katana 100W head, and I decided to go give it a whirl. I ended up buying the Katana, but I was able to use both a Gretsch Electromatic Jet and one of those cool Kramer Baretta Specials while demoing it. In short, I am pretty sure there will be a Jet in my future at some point! I only played it for a couple of minutes, but I definitely liked the overall feel and build quality. Nice and light too!

Latest posts