Help me understand; why can a capo cost almost $300?

Buc McMaster

Electromatic
Mar 2, 2022
Texas
What makes this unique enough to be worth this amount of money? Who’s going to buy one & report back?
I bought one......engraved with my name on it......when I had a lot of disposable income. What makes it unique is the adaptive radius technology, which despite it's fancy marketing name actually works very well. There is a cam beneath the string pad that is designed such that it adjusts itself to varying fretboard radii with excellent results. Paige does not. Elliot does not. Shubb does not. All good capos, no doubt, but not unique. It is a unique feature that is of obvious benefit. Beyond that, it is otherwise very well designed and built......latches very securely, yoke ears padded on the inside, solid adjustment screw. Expensive? You bet. Worth the expense? That's up to you. I have no regrets about my purchase..........

Runamok

Country Gent
I bought one......engraved with my name on it......when I had a lot of disposable income. What makes it unique is the adaptive radius technology, which despite it's fancy marketing name actually works very well. There is a cam beneath the string pad that is designed such that it adjusts itself to varying fretboard radii with excellent results. Paige does not. Elliot does not. Shubb does not. All good capos, no doubt, but not unique. It is a unique feature that is of obvious benefit. Beyond that, it is otherwise very well designed and built......latches very securely, yoke ears padded on the inside, solid adjustment screw. Expensive? You bet. Worth the expense? That's up to you. I have no regrets about my purchase..........
No doubt its a good capo. I certainly hope it is.
The padding looks better than other similar capos in a search.

Adaptive radius sounds interesting. I’ve capos that launch themselves off a wide neck.

How that is accomplished is not clear to me. (the technology, not the self-launching capos, heh). If its instrument-type specific.

Am I harming my guitars using one of the cheaper models?

What most people would pay for one first seems to depend on whether they even use capos.

Well, I think we should either be duly impressed or outraged that a capo could be this expensive. That’s the chum in the water.

Just because it exists, doesn’t mean everybody’s got to buy one.

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
Apparently it performs a level/crown/polish since it apparently eliminates buzz. So that’s $200 saved right there…per guitar!

Runamok

Country Gent
Never had one, just repeating what I was told. The screw clamp is supposed to be the issue when overtightened. I never like big clunky metal capos, so I went with the smallestones I could find.
I’ve put a (very) shallow dent into a guitar neck with a capo in an earlier life. It was done with an early Shubb-style that was adjusted for a smaller neck, & inadvertantly left on for a long time, so I do know its possible.

Its not a mistake you repeat.

Possible that this is a machined capo, made from an iMac & they cut away everything that doesn’t look like a capo. Gosh we’re seriously outraged by a capo ad. Nobody got a new guitar today? ;)

Last edited:

KaHOnas

Gretschie
Aug 29, 2021
Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA
I’m curious why there are several justifications about the price of this capo based on the value of the guitar it’s going on. Is my $500 Takamine not good enough to benefit from this clearly excellent capo? I'm not downplaying the quality of the capo. I just take exception to the whole "because you paid a lot of money for one thing, you should pay lots of money for another thing" mindset.

Sidenote: one of the richest people I've ever met (a former CEO of several telecommunications entities living on a very large farm in upstate NY) drove a Toyota Tundra truck. His wife, a Toyota Solara. Good, reliable, obviously well-maintained vehicles. He owned several large estates and was renovating a hotel in Nicaragua. One day over a beer I basically ask him how he got so rich. His answer was, "Simple. I didn't spend my money."

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I’m curious why there are several justifications about the price of this capo based on the value of the guitar it’s going on. Is my $500 Takamine not good enough to benefit from this clearly excellent capo? I'm not downplaying the quality of the capo. I just take exception to the whole "because you paid a lot of money for one thing, you should pay lots of money for another thing" mindset.

Sidenote: one of the richest people I've ever met (a former CEO of several telecommunications entities living on a very large farm in upstate NY) drove a Toyota Tundra truck. His wife, a Toyota Solara. Good, reliable, obviously well-maintained vehicles. He owned several large estates and was renovating a hotel in Nicaragua. One day over a beer I basically ask him how he got so rich. His answer was, "Simple. I didn't spend my money."
I was in Bainbrige NY for my roommate in the Marines wedding. We drove around he showed me the area not sure where we were but went past a junk yard of a yard and he tells me that was the richest guy in tue whole area. Never spent a dime On something he didn’t need. Needed a truck paid cash. Lived a very meager life but was perfectly happy.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in

When I was a teenager, my Dad and I went to this local discount hardware store. He pointed out a guy and told me that he was a millionaire. I asked why would a millionaire be shopping here. He answered, "That's why he's a millionaire. Doesn't waste his money."

MrWookiee

Country Gent
Jun 17, 2020
SoCal, USA

I think it's sort of like the idea of putting a $50 scope on a $2500 hunting rifle. Of course it's very different but that's where my head was at when I commented on it being fine for an expensive guitar.

VonnDoom5439t

Electromatic
Mar 7, 2022
Kentucky
300$ Capo:
Christ touched it himself,
It was at Woodstock and has a little pocket for your weed made into it,
It was in the same room as elvis and he breathed on it.

Otherwise I'd look somewhere else for one.
I've never cared for them because I'm I'm scared it'll damage my neck, in most cases you can play a barr chord to accommodate using a capo. It'll also make you a better player going the barr chord route.

Gitgud lol
- Vonn Doom

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
Some things I get like a $6,000 Leica. I wouldn't buy one, but I can see why it costs that much because of what goes into making it.

But this? I can't really tell where all the money went.

Runamok

Country Gent
Nothing wrong with that.

I picked this up down at the Harbor Freight and it works just fine.

But then, I'm so cheap I eat cereal with a fork to save on milk.

View attachment 177225
So why are you guys buying Streamliners & Electromatics when there are more expensive Gretsches available? ;)

The more you pay the better it is. Its a law of physics. The Law of Commerce & Appreciation, certainly.

I know this capo is not worth upwards of $250+ to me, have not tried one, but everybody gets to make their own decision.

I am just amazed we can spend this much time quibbling about it. Anybody with a Jim Dandy saving up for a capo that cost more than your guitar?