Help me find a Gretsch!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by TonyClifton, Sep 29, 2020.

1. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    That's a hard one. Falcons are big, and long scale necks. They sound good with Classics and HS's from owning them. I have no doubt that RB's would be killer too.

6120's with the short scale and 16" body, are a different feel all together to me.

You have to see which one feels right to you. Either will sound great with the various types of pups

You may get along with both, or dislike one or the other.

You're heading right with your choices..

Best of luck

TonyClifton and Stefan87 like this.
  2. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Tony !

Can't go wrong with a 6120,that new Setzer Smoke is just about perfect for that FilterTron tone.

I wouldn't talk ya out of that Falcon though...;)

3. TonyClifton

TonyClifton Electromatic

Sep 29, 2020
    Texas
    I went to the local dealer and tried them all. The Falcon black and silver came first with a Setzer 6120 after that. The Penguin and single coil 6120 and duo were not to my taste and didn’t sound as good to my ear. So Falcon with the TV Jones it is! Thanks !!

G5422T and Bertotti like this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Nice congratulations!

5. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Gretschie

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    Tennessee Rose
    [​IMG]

TonyClifton likes this.
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I didn't think I would but I really want one of these!

GAMBLER1234 likes this.
  7. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Congrats and keep us posted.

Love those black Birds with the silver binding. Easy on the eyes too!

20200719_120617.jpg

TonyClifton and new6659 like this.
  8. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats Tony!

You can always get that Setzer next time ,eh.... ;o)

TonyClifton likes this.
  9. DougCraft

DougCraft Gretschie

Apr 24, 2018
    Northern Colorado
    Since you do not currently have a Gretsch, you can't go wrong to give yourself the classic Gretsch tone with guitars loaded with Dynasonics or High Sensitive Filter'Trons, so I suggest models with HS FIlter'Trons like the G6120, G6118 - thick and thin hollowbodies, or a G6137 White Panther (center block).

G6120AM Chet Atkins Hollowbody
    Gretsch6120-001.jpg

G6118T ISV Anniversary Hollowbody
    Gretsch Anniversary Betty 001.jpg

G6137 White Panther Center Block
    Gretsch 6137 White Panther 004.jpg

new6659 and TonyClifton like this.
  10. TonyClifton

TonyClifton Electromatic

Sep 29, 2020
    Texas
  11. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Very good question as Gretsch makes hollow-bodies, semi-hollow, and solid bodies, but their flavor of that may be different than you expect based on other manufactures methods. See this Gretsch page for some more info:
    https://www.gretschguitars.com/support/specs-explained/builds

The Gretsch solid bodies are highly chambered, not the same solid body as a Gibson SG or Les Paul, or a Fender Tele or a Strat.

The Gretsch semi-hollow, or center-block models are based on a chambered center block, not the same as a Gibson ES355 semi-hollow.

The Gretsch full hollow bodies have some different varieties as well, current production methods may be different than some older vintage models. While fully hollow, there is a bracing from the top to the back. This is why Pete Townsend can play loud overdriven sounds like on Won't Get Fooled Again without feedback.

So, just because you have your bases covered with Gibson and Fender solid and semi-hollow bodies, you may find it hard to decide among the different variations on the Gretsch chambered-solid, chambered center-block, and trestle-braced hollow bodies, that you really can't just choose one! Or, you may find that once you experience that Great Gretsch sound, you can sell some of those dusty Gibsons that have not been touched since you brought that Gretsch home. :)

PS - but you will want to keep the Tele.

12. TonyClifton

TonyClifton Electromatic

Sep 29, 2020
    Texas
    What’s the deal with the pickup selector? The middle position is brighter than bridge (with all knobs maxed). I expected bridge to be brighter like a les Paul. Am I missing something?

13. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Great choice Tony. Nothing like starting at the top for your first Gretsch. Nice videos by the way.

14. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    @jackfossett, your review on the G6120T Nashville 59 Limited just cost me some money. I've been looking at them and you pushed me over the edge.:D:D

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    GlenP likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.