Help in identifying Older model of Gretsch with Dynasonic pickups

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Jareth, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Jareth

Jareth Electromatic

Mar 13, 2021
    Uk
    Hello all,

I am looking for my second Gretsch and ideally would like it to include Dynasonic or DeArmond pickups.
    Can you help me list the models that feature these picks up, please?

Duo Slinger and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  2. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Historic Series are very good guitars, not expensive and lots of them with DeArmond 2000 which are great pickups. For instance G314x for semi-hollow center block, G315x for full hollow, and lots of them come with cat's eyes.

audept, Jareth and wabash slim like this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've got a 3240 and agree with Jeffrey Lee Pierre. DeArmonds sound great to me (especially thru a Vox tube amp) and, of course, everything sounds better with Cat's Eyes. Dynas sound even better.

Mellowcat, Duo Slinger and Jareth like this.
  4. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    If you're looking at prolines, most models, the Jets, 6120s and Falcons all have Dynasonic models. There are no stock Electromatic or Historic Dynasonic models.

Jareth likes this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Jareth likes this.
  6. Jareth

Jareth Electromatic

Mar 13, 2021
    Uk
    Thank all. I found 5124T Korean made for around £352, would you say it’s a good price for it?
    6DA6F9AA-7AF8-4C33-ABAB-9BE4DFF25E04.jpeg

7. Mellowcat

Mellowcat Gretschie

Aug 22, 2013
    VA
    That's less than $500 USD. If it doesn't have any major issues, then that seems like a great price. A couple of the black models with the B60 from this series have shown up over the years on my local CL. They were priced above $500 and didn't hang around forever.

Duo Slinger and Jareth like this.
  8. Jareth

Jareth Electromatic

Mar 13, 2021
    Uk
    Interesting, I tried to research the price for this model but cannot find anything online.
    Now onto convincing the wife to let me buy second Gretsch in a week:D

new6659 likes this.
  9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    You should pull the trigger immediately.

10. Jareth

Jareth Electromatic

Mar 13, 2021
    Uk
    So I found out the issue is the guitar needs re-fretting and has a crack. Do you think it is structural or just cosmetic? DE2CE6A4-9EB7-47BF-BAAE-6CDDB0C0346D.jpeg

11. Mellowcat

Mellowcat Gretschie

Aug 22, 2013
    VA
    If it really needs new frets, then I would keep looking. A full re-fret from and experienced tech around here is about $500 give or take. The crack doesn't look terrible. What's under the sticker? Looks like a lot of trouble for a guitar that you don't all ready own. That's just one opinion. Some members may offer a different point of view. Good luck in your search!

Jareth likes this.
  12. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    A full refret or a fret level?

I don’t like the way the sticker seems to obscure part of the crack. Apparently it was bumped hard enough the binding cracked. That’s hard to do even if you tried.

Seemingly a good deal but I’d pass on this one.

13. Jareth

Jareth Electromatic

Mar 13, 2021
    Uk
    Full re-fret. Couple of the frets have quite an indent on d string level. I am tempted but not for the body but the Dyna and Bigsby alone.

I have asked the seller if the neck is loose as it seems like this might be what also causes the cracks.

14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Dynasonics and DeArmonds encompass quite a broad tonal spectrum.
    While both obviously share single coil traits like clarity in attack and definition the Dynasonic is generally more twangy and something like a DeArmond 2K can do a decent P90(it basically is).

Not trying to deter you in any way but perhaps it would be helpful knowing what sort of tonality you seek beforehand.

Jareth and Mellowcat like this.
  15. Jareth

Jareth Electromatic

Mar 13, 2021
    Uk
    Thanks @Ricochet. I am experimenting currently with Variax and it’s Duo Jet modelled Gretsch. That said I really enjoy the current Jet BT but still not entirely the tone I am looking for. I cannot entirely call it out as I have not found it anywhere yet. Maybe kinda cross over from Nirvana and Tame Impala if that makes any sense.

Ricochet likes this.
  16. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Those white ones often have a split in the back, right in the middle close to where the neck pickup is in the front.

17. Jareth

Jareth Electromatic

Mar 13, 2021
    Uk
    @Uncle Daddy would you know what causes it? I read somewhere that the Korean made have poor quality.

18. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Korean made Gretsch's are fine, both of mine have no issues at all, they are actually badass. I would ask them to take that sticker off though.
    Fwiw, every time i buy something with issues, and i do alot, i imagine trying to sell it myself.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    Jareth, JT19 and Marv666 like this.
  19. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Jareth,

One of my all time favorites is the ''George Harrison'' model 1957 Duo Jet.

The current GH Signature model, G6128-T-GH, has all the fine details corrected, very accurate replica of Harrison's original.

Vintage style ''tweed'' case included.

Happy hunting, let us know what you settle on.

Best,

BIB.

IMG_0231.JPG

Jareth likes this.
  20. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Jareth,

Something has ''struck'' the binding, hard, in that location, binding cracked full perimeter, potential interior perimeter bracing damage.

Will it worsen...good question, structural perimeter damage...likely.

Can you live with it, I could not.

Can it be professionally repaired...yes...$$$$, YES!

Between replacing the frets, repairing damage, plus the price of the guitar, your money could be better spent on a much better guitar.

Personally, I'd pass.

BIB.

Jareth likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.