Help Identifying Guitar - Monkees

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
I'm afraid that it's not actually mine right now to do anything with, my grandfather passed a few years ago and I found it cleaning out his house. It technically belongs to my grandmother/parents but they are letting me hold onto it for now since I play. Not sure yet what will end up happening to the guitar, if they will just let me keep it or if they will sell.
In this condition, it's not going to be worth much to the estate. If there's a player in the family willing to put in the effort to bring it back from the brink, then it seems to me that it would be a real shame for it not to stay in the family.

ZackyDog

Friend of Fred
Feb 6, 2015
In the USA
Mike Nesmith (12 string Gretsch) was a semi decent guitar player, strictly playing chords. All the lead work was done by famous studio guitarists who were members of The Wrecking Crew in L.A.
Not entirely true; Mike did the lead guitar playing on songs like Love Is Only Sleeping, Tapioca Tundra and Pleasant Valley Sunday.

larryr

Synchromatic
Mar 6, 2012
Camarillo, Ca.
Funny thing about The Monkees from back in the day.

Peter Tork (bass/keyboards) was actually a way better guitar player than Mike Nesmith.
Peter also played banjo. He won a Topanga banjo contest when he was younger.
I did 3 shows with him and his Shoe Suede Blues band, one of which was the Monkees Convention in '97. That was a blast.

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
Welcome @Pinkerton1992 . That's a pretty neat Monkees guitar you have . That Bigsby has caught some interest here .
If you ever do decide to sell the guitar , you should post it here on the forum . You'll catch more flys with honey here ......... oh , and try and find the handle for the Bigsby too

ZackyDog

Friend of Fred
Feb 6, 2015
In the USA
Nice guitar. I had a similar model (Black Hawk? Streamliner?) with faux f-holes and SuperTrons. I have never seen a black one. Like someone mentioned above, it may have been refinished.

I am guessing that the owner retrofitted an adjustomatic bridge to this one.

1657181408687.png

@Pinkerton1992