Hello ...

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by jump, Feb 23, 2021.

1. jump

jump Electromatic

Feb 21, 2021
    Texas
    new member here ... don't know anything about reading music or making music, but I just got a Gretsch g2420t and I love it.

I had a five string banjo for several years and got tired of the sound. I loved playing it, I just got tired of the brassy sound. I thought for a while about getting one of the Eastwood tenors but decided one day to look at Guitar Center and see what is available. Wow, its amazing how little help those folks are.

Anyway, I like the sound of the Hollow body and decided on the 2420 with Bixby. Slow going with my stiff fingers learning chords.

don't want to ramble on ... here's a picture of my new guitar.

Attached Files:

2. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    Congratulations on the new guitar and welcome to G-T !

That's a lovely color and streamliners are really great guitars!

Ah, you play banjo, Peter Seeger, love his banjo work!

Cheers and enjoy the new geet :)

3. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
  4. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Welcome to Gretschville, enjoy the guitar!

6. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Hello Jump and welcome to G-T, glad to have you here.
    Congrats on your fine new Gretsch guitar, HNGD.

7. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Well, as a banjo player you must know something about making music. You knew enough to buy a Gretsch! ;)

Congrats and enjoy - welcome to the forum

8. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    New guitar, new to playing guitar, how cool.

Don’t worry about learning guitar, nobody ever learns guitar. We are just all at a different stage of learning, it never ends.

Enjoy the process, and welcome.

T-Bawler, Gregor and wabash slim like this.
  9. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    That’s a great entry into the guitar world. Be forewarned, Gretsch can easily spread like wild fire in a house.welcome to the forum as well as the next chapter in your musical adventure.

10. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Gretschie

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Welcome to GT and the wide world of Gretsches and guitars! I've been thinking about learning the banjo for a while, any tips?

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Howdy! Welcome to the asylum.

You'll have an easier time learning guitar as you already have some musical chops that should translate to guitar. I tried banjo myself, but it was just too foreign for me. I've played keyboards for decades. , and they're my primary instrument. I'll always be learning guitar. Take it one step at a time. It's easy to get flustered, so, move to something else, then come back to it.

Y9u'll find GT a great resource. Ask questions (none are too dumb), research, watch and listen to others. Do your due diligence. Above all, have fun.

12. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    Welcome to the madness that is Gretsch, enjoy the adventure!

13. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT jump!

Congrats on the new geet.

14. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Welcome to GT. Always loved the banjo but never ventured past the liking. Lots of love here for the Streamliners. I never thought I'd like or need a Bigsby but now can't live without at least one. Enjoy your new passion.

15. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Welcome and congrats, doesn't matter how well you play as long as you are playing and enjoying yourself.

16. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
  17. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome friend

18. jump

jump Electromatic

Feb 21, 2021
    Texas
    HAHA ... You would want No tips from me on the banjo ... I love most kinds of music but my tastes have moved away from bluegrass (I still like it and love the message of the genre) to jazz, blues, & back to folk. The sound of the banjo grew tedious to me. I've had other instruments that I have just given up on because I'm basically a lazy guy (I've known this since I was 5 years old ... my aunt Helen said so) My trumpet was clearly a mistake ... I could clear the room in mere seconds ... the wife & dogs would scurry away to get away. Saxophone & clarinet were both non-starters, and the ukulele was fun until Tiny Tim showed up on the tonite show with tiptoe in the tulips. Then, life & wife & kids happened. \

anyway, thanks for all the welcomes & encouragement, I look forward to visiting here often.

BTW, I'm retired & turning 75 this year, & pleased as punch with my Gretsch. Its gonna be a keeper. My lab mix pupper curls up at my feet whilst I'm practicing. Its got the Oscar seal of approval.

T-Bawler and Duo Slinger like this.
  19. jump

jump Electromatic

Feb 21, 2021
    Texas
    There was a moment after my decision to get the Hollow Body where I thought about the 2420 without the Bixby, but I figured that its better to have it & rarely use it than want/need it & not have it.

Henry likes this.
  20. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Think Eddie Cochrane and Duane Eddy...you're in the same decade as I, so you know them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.