Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by EsquireBoy, Aug 12, 2020.

1. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Electromatic

Aug 12, 2020
    France
    Greetings everyone!

I’m very new here, although some may recognize me from the TDPRI forum.

I’ve been playing for 30 years, and for my upcoming 40th birthday my gift will be a Gretsch guitar.

For some months now I’ve been taking lessons with Adam Levy and I’m experiencing a shift in my musical tastes towards jazz and « roots » music.

Nowadays my only electric is a Fender Esquire which I love, but I want a hollowbody to pair with it.

I’m set on a 6120, though I’m not set yet on dynas vs filtertrons since I like both!

I’m leaning toward a RHH or a DE signature. But since there is none of them I can try here around Paris, I’m planning on ordering both online, play them for a couple of weeks and keep the one I bond the most with.

I have mixed feelings about doing this, but I guess it’s the best way to be sure I make the right choice.

My main questions right now are:

• since I only use flatwounds, do filtertrons can be too muddy with them? (The two amps I use are not particularly bright amps)
    • I want the hollowbody character of the guitar to shine through, and I’m not sure which ones of dynas or filtertrons will allow this the most.

Anyway, I would welcome any wise advice from you Gretsch enthusiasts!

Cheers,

Thomas.

2. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    Welcome, Thomas! There's only one way to resolve the Dynasonic vs. Filtertron question, and that's to have one guitar with each. :)

Flatwounds and Filtertrons are a classic combination. Here's a clip with them, and the sound seems bright enough:

I have a guitar with flatwounds and DeArmond 2K pickups, which are similar to Dynasonics, and I like it a lot, too. The single-coil Dynas have a little more bite than Filtertrons, but both pickup styles deliver classic tones.

I never noticed the pickups making much difference in picking up hollowbody resonance.

You've given yourself a couple great choices, so be sure to let us know what you decide and how you like it when it arrives!

Richard

thunder58 and EsquireBoy like this.
  3. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Electromatic

Aug 12, 2020
    France
    Thanks a lot Richard!
    I’ve had listened to this clip already, and it sounds really nice indeed.
    I’ve once tried a Cliff Gallup jet with flats in a local music store, and remember liking the sound a lot.
    I was wondering if the very snappy attack of the dynasonics would hide a bit of the hollowbody character.
    I should add that I almost never use any effect these days, including reverb. The only thing I cannot do without is tremolo.

I’ll definitely keep you posted when it’s done, my birthday is coming in October!
    Cheers

4. YouFellowRebels

YouFellowRebels Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    Welcome. Adam Levy of The Honeydogs???

EsquireBoy likes this.
  5. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Thomas!

EsquireBoy likes this.
  6. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Electromatic

Aug 12, 2020
    France
    The other Adam Levy, the one who played with Norah Jones ;)
    He has a Patreon page called Guitar Tips Pro, and he is a wonderful teacher.
    He is one of my favorite guitar player, along Jim Campilongo.

Groutsch likes this.
  7. YouFellowRebels

YouFellowRebels Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    Well either way rock on and keep learning!

EsquireBoy likes this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Howdy! Welcome aboard!

EsquireBoy likes this.
  9. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome friend , glad you're here :)

EsquireBoy likes this.
  10. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Welcome to G-T. Will be watching for your NGD thread.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  11. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
  12. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Welcome EsquireBoy, just keep both and declare an early Christmas. :D. Pictures and maybe a sound clip when the deed is done.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  13. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    I’d go with the filters to start.
    TV Jones makes a DeArmond in the Filtertron foot print.. I’d then get those n start the fun.
    But then again TVj also makes a FilterTron in a DeArmond foot print but only the Classic I believe.
    Good luck and Welcome..

EsquireBoy likes this.
  14. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Thomas!
    French welcome mat.jpg

EsquireBoy likes this.
  15. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Welcome!
    Both the RHH and DE are hot stuff.
    Another thing to consider is that the DE has a thinner neck because his original 57 had a thin neck, and it’s built to his specs.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  16. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Electromatic

Aug 12, 2020
    France
    Thank you all for your very warm welcome!

I’ll keep you posted when my NGD comes, with the obligatory pics. October seems a long way but I guess the wait is worth it.

:D In which case it would be more like an early 50th birthday, and as much as I love guitars, I can’t say I’m in such a rush to get 10 more years on my back!

17. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Electromatic

Aug 12, 2020
    France
    That’s what I understood. I’m not very picky about neck profiles and generally adapt quickly, provided it’s not particularly narrow. The Gretsch website seems to be quite off with the specs, but if it’s right on this point the DE is supposed to be the standard nut width, isn’t it?

calebaaron666 likes this.
  18. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Probably. It’s just supposed to be skinnier than a standard 6120’s neck.
    But you know what? I’m just speaking to what I’ve seen and read on the internet.
    I have a 1995 6120 and the neck on that is very different than other Gretschs I’ve played. Almost feels like a les paul neck. Very comfortable.

19. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Electromatic

Aug 12, 2020
    France
    I guess I’ll never know for sure until I can put my hands on both models. I’m not particularly comfortable with the idea of ordering both guitars and sending one back, but it’s the only sensible way to go I think.

20. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    The DE has a brass nut, not sure about the RHH.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.