Hello! New Pro Jet!

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Blues Jr, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Blues Jr

Blues Jr Electromatic

Sep 15, 2010
    Toronto, Ontario
    Hi there,

First time poster. Wasn't really looking for a new guitar, but when I saw an ad locally on CL for a hardtail Pro Jet at a good price, I thought I'd check it out. It was in perfect shape and played great, so I took it home with me:)

[​IMG]

I'm really enjoying this guitar. Although I generally like the sound of the mini hums, they are a little dark and generic, so I decided to order a set GFS NYII pickups. Now I'm wondering if I should swap the pots etc, or just leave them alone and see how these new pickups sound. Opinions?

Thanks.

2. GentleBen

GentleBen Country Gent

Jul 29, 2008
    Huntsville, Al
    Let us know how it sounds with the NYII's. I like the way mine sounds with the stock pickups but you never know.

3. BartDude

BartDude Electromatic

Sep 2, 2010
    So Cal
    Nice. Great choice on guitars, too. The Tele and the Jet are the two guitars I kept after going through quite a few.

4. current

current Electromatic

Mar 17, 2010
    Germany
    Excellent choice, the NYIIs are great pickups for the Pro Jet. I have them in my guitar and like them with the original pots.

BTW: welcome to Gretsch Talk, the most friendly guitar forum :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  5. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Hey there, Blues Jr. Welcome to our non stop shindig.
    That's a great pair of guitars you have. Funny how Gretsch players love Teles. You'll love that Jet, too. I think the NYIIs are a great call.

6. LATS

LATS Country Gent

Jan 3, 2010
    Kanata, Ontario
    Welcome aboard!

A photo in your first post! You're gonna fit in just fine, here.

Allow me to be the first to suggest a Compton bridge for your Jet. There are lots of threads on this site about them. And a lot of rave reviews.

7. Blues Jr

Blues Jr Electromatic

Sep 15, 2010
    Toronto, Ontario
    Thanks for the welcome! The Pro Jet is a real nice guitar. Can't wait to hear how those NYII's sound.

Hey Lats, will a Compton bridge work on without the Bigsby?

8. S. Rock

S. Rock Friend of Fred

welcome to gretsch-talk. and congrats on getting the Pro Jet. yep, the Compton will work on anything - with or without a Bigsby.

9. Sarah93003

Sarah93003 Friend of Fred

Welcome to the forum!

10. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Welcome aboard Blues Jr! :D

11. RockingMatt

RockingMatt Country Gent

Jun 3, 2010
    Landstuhl, Germany
    Hi Blues Jr., nice Couple, i like them .

12. muku

muku Electromatic

Jan 22, 2010
    santa barbara
    Coincidently, I bought a bigsby pro jet electromatic tonight. It has a fast neck but above the 12th fret it has some buzzing. I hope the miniscule hump I see above the 14th fret will straighten.
    I'll upgrade the bridge with my brass compton. Hope the sound doesn't get darker.
    The bigsby doesn't lose tuning too bad at all. The existing bridge sure is on an angle. Looking down the strings, from the bigsby to the nut, it looks centered but the bass strings from the bigsby look more angled than the treble.

I was thinking of sanding down the back of the neck and doing a gun oil treatmernt on it?
    Has anybody disassembled a Gretsch and removed all poly paint and did a laquer work up?

Please let me / us know how the NY PU's are. I was thinking about a Charlie Christian mini humbucker neck and a filertron or superton bridge?

13. Blues Jr

Blues Jr Electromatic

Sep 15, 2010
    Toronto, Ontario
    Well, i got in the NYII pickups and they are a real nice change from the stock mini hums. More output, which in my case is a good thing, but they are also very clear and articulate and absolutely scream with overdrive. Great pickups.

[​IMG]

14. goss61

goss61 Electromatic

Aug 12, 2010
    Ireland
  15. johsonrod

johsonrod Country Gent

Apr 14, 2010
    Toronto
    looks good man, I have the same guitar and the same pups should be in my hands tomorrow!! And I happen to have just started building a tele!! Ill post that in another thread shortly with pics.

I think i may change the pots and pickup selector on the jet too.

O yea GET A COMPTON i bet itll make your new gfs11s even better

16. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    That looks great, man! Great choice on the pickups.
    I'll second johsonrod's suggestion for a Compton bridge.

17. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    I'll second the compton bridge!

18. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Looks Awesome :D and I'll third the call for the compton!

19. zenbone

zenbone Electromatic

Aug 9, 2010
    clearwater, FL
    that is interesting... i just bought a jet pro that has the guitar fetish NYII's in it as well. very good pickups! i love them.

20. built4speed

built4speed Synchromatic

Mar 9, 2010
    Canada
    Very nice guitar Blues Jr, welcome to the forum. You did exactly what I would do if I were to get a pro jet. It seems like the perfect candidate for those NYIII pickups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.