Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Hello Mr Postman ;-)

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Aymara, Apr 19, 2017 at 7:21 AM.

1. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
  2. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  3. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats Chris,sweet looking geet that!

Aymara likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. technomouse

technomouse Electromatic

Feb 24, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    You did it!
    I think I'm going to have to add myself to the broadway jade club as soon as I can sell my soul or body (whichever pays better)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. Waxhead

Waxhead Synchromatic

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Aymara likes this.
  7. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Congrats Aymara. I love the color.

Aymara likes this.
  8. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
  9. GVDobler

GVDobler Synchromatic

May 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
  10. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Yes, I couldn't resist after my father showed interest in my Epiphone LP, that needed to go to make room for this beauty. Thankfully this color is not that popular, so that even after 2 years after the release, still 3 units were available in Europe, though only 75 units seem to exist world wide.

I really like it very much, but because the perfect guitar doesn't exist, there's still room for improvement ... I wish it would have a tone knob instead of a mud switch. But for clean tones I don't use tone control anyway and for really heavy stuff the lower switch position is quite ok. I tested it yesterday evening with some virtual Metal amps and was astonished, that though the Filtertrons are low output pickups, this Penguin could even be used for this genre.

If Gretsch would offer this Penguin with a tone knob and in more popular colors, maybe black and white, at a price point below 3000 bucks, I guess it would become a top seller, when the marketing is right ... hey Joe (Carducci), do you hear me? ;)

11. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Today I played it the first time without headphones over my Blackstar HT5R combined with an El Capitan.

And then followed the brutal truth ;)

My wife said: "Sounds better than your Falcon" :eek:

And believe me, she has pretty good ears. I myself would say, they both sound great, but different ... the Falcon is brighter.

12. HBob

HBob Gretschie

Feb 26, 2012
    Plano, TX
    NICE!!! By any chance, is that from Tone Shop Guitars in Texas? They had one hanging on the wall last time I was in there! Such a cool looking guitar - congratulations!

13. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Thanks!

No, Thomann in Germany.

14. TrampledUnderFoot

TrampledUnderFoot Electromatic

Thursday
    PDX
    That is an extremely awesome color! Congo rats!

Aymara likes this.
  15. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Beautiful...gorgeous...!

Aymara likes this.
  16. audept

audept Gretschified

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    There's a guy down at the crossroads............:D

17. audept

audept Gretschified

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Congratulations, Chris! I'm finding mine surprisingly heavy, how about you?

18. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Thanks, for the congrats and your inspiration ... this Penguin is exactly the kind of "solid" body Gretsch I was looking for. I especially like it's tone, which in reality is much better, than the above videos show ... extremely versatile guitar!

Yes, it is nearly as heavy as a weight relieved Les Paul. I guess, it's less chambered as usual, because unplugged it's not much louder as a typical solid body. My Godin A5 fretless bass for example is much louder unplugged. It is also pretty head heavy, when using a strap. When sitting though, it's perfectly balanced, which is more important for me.

Oh btw, this is a further example for the huge varity in neck profiles. Do you remember, that I asked you about the neck profile? The units in above videos have a slimmer neck than mine, and you also said, it's more similar to the Panther than the "U" shape mentioned in the specs. Well, mine is somewhere in between, but closer to the U, than the Panther or my Falcon. It's the maximum I accept ... any thicker and I would have returned it. But it's still ok for me.

Oh, and while we're already comparing ... the Bigsby on my Penguin is much nicer, than on my other Gretsches. It's softer and the arm closer / lower to the strings. Can it be, that the B3 has a shorter spring, than the B6? I would like to have a similar Bigsby feel on my other two Gretsches, where the arm angles is much steeper even after removing the washer ... I absolutely love the Penguin's Bigsby!

19. audept

audept Gretschified

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I have always found the B3 Bigsby to have a lighter feel than the B6. I'm a bit surprised at the thicker neck profile on yours.

20. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I'm not at all, because I already experienced that before, when I bought my Panther. When I entered the shop, there was a white one hanging on the wall, that had a noticably thicker neck, than the black one I bought ... and it was a veeery noticable difference. I mentioned this in other threads before and remember, that I'm not the only one with this neck difference experience.

Regarding the Bigsby ... do you see any chance to get the B3 feeling into the B6 ... especially the lower arm angle? I already searched for Bigsby springs and found 3 ... the stock spring, 7/8 and 1". So it seems the stock spring is already the shortest. Maybe that topic is worth a dedicated thread.

21. audept

audept Gretschified

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm gradually changing over all my Bigsbys to the Reverend soft springs, seem to be much more responsive in feel.

Stefan likes this.