Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Hello Mr Postman ;-)

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Aymara, Apr 19, 2017 at 7:21 AM.

1. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Thanks ... I just couldn't resist after Audept showed us his Broadway Jade Penguin ... I don't know, how often I watched these videos the last weeks:

audept likes this.
  2. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Fabulous color! Big congrats!!

Aymara likes this.
  3. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Still don't like that color, but congrats!

Aymara likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I like that color a lot! Where from?

Aymara likes this.
  6. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Yes, I love it too, but I'm sure, it's definitely not everbody's cup of tea.

The last one or maybe only one from Thomann, whom I should thank, because it was delivered extremly fast (ordered Easter and delivered today at noon) and well setup with a fresh set of strings. I didn't expect that, so thumbs up for this shop!

PS: I guess the setup was done by Thomann, because both my Falcon and my Panther didn't have a perfect stock setup ... which I bought elsewhere after trying them first.

7. Ando

Ando Synchromatic

Aug 7, 2013
    Seoul
    A keen green, creamy machine :)

Sounds just like my new DC Jet, gonna be a lovely thing to have around!

Aymara likes this.
  8. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
  9. MikeJaguar

MikeJaguar Electromatic

Nov 10, 2016
    NE England
    Nice colour mate

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Aymara likes this.
  10. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
  11. rytar

rytar Electromatic

Apr 28, 2015
    Canada
    Very nice, congrats! I once ruined a pair of cowboy boots with that shade of paint..

Aymara likes this.
  12. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Congrats , she's a beauty

Aymara likes this.
  13. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
  14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
  15. MKunie

MKunie Gretschie

Feb 8, 2012
    Las Vegas,NV USA
    It is stunningly beautiful! Good Luck!!!!!

Aymara likes this.
  16. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Very nice, congretschulations!

Aymara likes this.
  17. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    That is the main reason, why I bought it ... besides the fact, that I wanted a "solid" body, that I can play even at night without disturbing anybody. And it's size is for sure a further bonus for my back, that causes more and more problems, the older I get.

I would describe the tone in between a Filtertron Falcon and a Filtertron Duo Jet. In my opinion, it's the wood selection, that plays a major role here ... chambered mahogany body with maple cap and maple neck. Most Jets and Penguins are full mahogany (body & neck).

The playability of this Penguin is absolutely stunning ... superb high fret access and low action, and the Bigsby is exactly how I ever wanted it ... less steep angle as on my Panther and Falcon and a softer spring. It seems the spring is softer and shorter as on the other two. I think I'll open a dedicated thread about the Bigsby ... I want this Bigsby feeling on my others too.

PS: I think I can already say, that this is my preferred Gretsch. We'll see, if I say the same one week later ;)

PPS: The neck is a bit thicker as on the other two, but it's slimmer as the Standard "U", that is mentioned in the specs.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017 at 12:41 PM
    Stefan likes this.
  18. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Sounds very good! And we know you're a rollerbridge guy: what about the bridge?

19. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    It's as comfortable as the True-Arc on my Falcon, but intonation with the stock strings is slightly sharp ... 2 cents on the wound strings, spot-on on the treble side. So I think, this bridge is a keeper ...hard to tell, if a brass True-Arc would sound better. I guess, you will only hear a difference in a side by side comparison. I'm curious, if Gibson strings will intonate even better ... on the Falcon I use .10 Gibson Vintage Reissue and intonation is spot-on. But 2 cents are not a drama, right?

So far, I absolutely love it as it is ... except, that I would have preferred a tone knob over a mud switch.

PS: The True-Arc and this Rocking Bar are by far the most comfortable bridges I ever played ... I use a lot of palm muting and even when not, I use the outer edge of the bridge as a picking hand rest very often.

PPS: So far I absolutely love the ergonomics of this guitar, though so far I didn't test head heavyness, when using a strap. When sitting it's optimal.

Stefan likes this.
  20. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Ooh. Ahh. Like the color, like the chrome trim (instead of Gold), like the double cut. You should know, it's my guitar. Someone stole it and sent it to you.

Aymara likes this.
  21. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Do you want the email address of the dealer? :D

PS: Yes, I also like the chrome instead of gold ... absolutely. And the double cut too, which offers much better high fret access ... the neck joint is around 3 frets further back compared to a single cut.

Stefan likes this.