Hello from New York

manunk

Gretschie
Feb 24, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Glad you joined sir. When I was working, that half-hour in the morning with my guitar was sweet...just a small window can make one look upon the day with a positive vision. (Although looking out my window I see 50 cm of new white Canadian winter). I keep my white 5622TG out of her case here in my music room. 68 and still shovelling !

section2

Country Gent
Dec 21, 2016
Toronto
Happy New Year to the forum.

I received my first Gretsch yesterday (Billy Duffy White Falcom) and I think it has made me realize what I have been missing all these years - what a beautiful instrument.

As for some background about me, well, I picked up my first guitar about 30 years ago and within a few years, formed a band and played a lot of shows. However, the siren song of actual stability in life called to me and I went back to school and became a lawyer (although, not a blues lawyer lol). With my work schedule, it would be approximately a decade and a half before I once again picked up the guitar. I had to relearn everything I forgot but muscle memory certainly helped with that.

Naturally, over the next few years, I would need a couple of surgeries (torn labrum and reattachment of my bicep tendon). These surgeries have limited how long I can actually sit and play the guitar. During this time, I became interested in orchestral music and, in the past couple of years, have mainly concentrated on composing using VST's. However, my love of guitar was still there and I would use the guitar to play some lead lines to color the orchestral music I was writing.

So now, even though I cannot play guitar for an extended period of time, I do play and since receiving my first Gretsch yesterday (but waiting until today to open it), I decided to join this forum.

I am hopeful that, in time, I can contribute to this forum in a meaningful way and look forward to interacting with you all.

Welcome! Always nice to see a fellow lawyer here. What's your practice area?

How does your shoulder do with the Falcon? I have a crummy biceps tendon too, and it's happiest when I stick to smaller guitars. My 6120 Jr feels just right to me. (But I'm also a small guy. At 5'7", I'd disappear behind a Falcon!)

MorphineNoir

Electromatic
Jan 18, 2022
New York
Welcome! Always nice to see a fellow lawyer here. What's your practice area?

How does your shoulder do with the Falcon? I have a crummy biceps tendon too, and it's happiest when I stick to smaller guitars. My 6120 Jr feels just right to me. (But I'm also a small guy. At 5'7", I'd disappear behind a Falcon!)

I practice divorce and family law (you?) - music helps me to de-stress

The shoulder is fine when I play, it is the forearm/bicep that starts to "burn"

section2

Country Gent
Dec 21, 2016
Toronto
I practice divorce and family law (you?) - music helps me to de-stress

Criminal law over here. Music is a great de-stressor for me too—until I hit a bunch of wrong notes! :D

The shoulder is fine when I play, it is the forearm/bicep that starts to "burn"

Glad to hear the shoulder is okay. Have you seen a physiotherapist? I wonder whether there might be one who could help you develop a playing posture that works for your injury.

MorphineNoir

Electromatic
Jan 18, 2022
New York
Criminal law over here. Music is a great de-stressor for me too—until I hit a bunch of wrong notes! :D

Glad to hear the shoulder is okay. Have you seen a physiotherapist? I wonder whether there might be one who could help you develop a playing posture that works for your injury.

Oh, ok criminal law - always good to have that referral available

I should contact the physical therapist who did my rehab with me after surgery

Latest posts