Hello from Manchester (UK)!

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by jason1297, Jul 5, 2021.

1. jason1297

jason1297 Newbie

Jul 5, 2021
    UK
    Hi everyone! I've had my first Gretsch (G5220) for a few months now, so have been reading the forum for a while without signing up. I am in my early 20s and have been playing guitar for around d 2 and a half years, and am hoping to join my first band soon!

More recently, I have been looking at putting locking tuners on my G5220. Ideally I'm looking for some that fit right in with no modification with pearl buttons... any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also interested to hear what mods other players have done to get the most out of their G5220s!

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome friend and best with your joining the band

3. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Welcome from Surrey UK!!

4. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Playing guitar
    Hello and welcome. Looking for your first band....I Love it! You have a lot of very fun years ahead of you.

5. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    Welcome to the asylum, I’m not too far from you, just over the border in North Wales. My mrs is from Wythenshaw!

6. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, great pick for a first gretsch as the G5220 is a great guitar, hopefully you find your band soon.

7. ALS57

ALS57 Gretschie

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    Hi from North London.

8. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Hello and welcome, good to have you here.
    I don't have a 5220 so can't offer any mods to them.
    Good luck in joining your first band. Enjoy the music.

9. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Hey Jason. Welcome to the fold. Best of luck in your quest for some band mates.
    I have a 5220 and it's a very nice guitar. Just wondering why you want/need locking tuners? I have no tuning problems whatsoever with the stock tuners, but that's just me. The only mod I did was to make a black pickguard. You might consider replacing the volume pot as the stock one is pretty much just an on/off switch. Lots of folks here have done mods and I'm sure will chime in for you.

10. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
  11. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Jason!
    vintage_grunge_uk_flag_union_jack_doormat.jpg

12. larryr

larryr Synchromatic

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    Welcome aboard and congrats on your new Gretsch.

13. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Welcome, Jason. I've had my G5220 for about three years but the only change I made was a new jack.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  14. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Welcome to GT Jason. Best of luck on the lockers!

15. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Whataboutye Jason,Welcome to GT !

Cool wee geet those,congrats.

16. vicenteb

vicenteb Electromatic

May 31, 2021
    Santiago, Chile
    Hi! I have been playing guitar for 21 years and even I am not a master at upgrading a guitar, I have done some on my 03 guitars (Gretsch, Strat and Tele) and I think I can recommend you a few things. But please consider asking a luthier anyway about what I can say, ok?

Well, I had a G5220 during 2019. It had great tuning stability and I think the tuners were just fine. I can truly say this since I have changed tuners on my other 2 guitars. There are locking tuners on the market, which is just for ease of string changing, but this is something at least I was not paying attention on my first 2 years of playing guitar. A good brand on this type of hardware is Gotoh, from Japan. The Made in Japan Gretsches are set up with Gotoh hardware like this. To find which model fits to your guitar, you will have to do some research looking the tech specs and diagrams, as well as a luthier to help you with the measurements on your guitar, using special measuring tools. You dont want to use just a ruler for this. I honestly think this is an upgrade that is not a priority considering others that have a more direct impact on your sound, playing and feel.

On my experience with the G5220, I would say that an very important upgrade are the electronics, which is much less expensive and has much bigger and instant rewards. For example, ask your luthier to put a treble bleed on the volume pots. Or if there is any crackle when rolling volume and tone pots, ask the luthier to fix that, which also applies to the pickup selector.

As I said before, electronic upgrades tend to be a lot less expensive than other hardware upgrades as the nut. When I grew older I replaced plastic nuts on my guitars for bone or TUSQ, but I never thought of it when I was starting on playing the guitar. You should know that this must be done by a luthier unless that you have a lot of experience doing this, and that you will have to pay for that service.

The aforementioned tuners is also another hardware upgrade more expensive than electronics.

Another one is pickup replacement, but the PUs on this guitar are pretty good. I wish I have had those at only 2 years of starting this music playing ride.

I would really recommend to ask your luthier to tech how to do the setup to your guitar (there are Youtube videos also for this): adjust the action of the strings, intonation, etc. This will let you to fine adjust your guitar to your liking and feel.

But if I could recommend just one upgrade to you, I would say focus on upgrading your musical ear, learn songs, learn some music theory, listen to bands you like and learn their songs, licks, solos. But look songs as a whole musical experience, not just the guitar. Learn different positions for a chord. Learn chord inversions to add flavors. Learn extensions for a chord and what they bring to the listener. Watch your guitar heroes techniques and live performances. Meet a friend or some of them and play together, even when may be that is not yet a band. Learn to play in time with metronome. Nowadays you even don't need to pay for a teacher, there are free teachers on youtube. My teacher were guitar tablature books. There is so much to upgrade which is not hardware or electronics that would improve any guitar you have or will have in the future. And the most important thing: Enjoy The Ride!

Probably this is a letter to myself 21 years back ;)

17. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Welcome to the asylum, @jason1297 !

I own a 2019 G5245 Double Jet and replaced my tuners because one of them had an annoying “click” that I couldn’t lube or otherwise troubleshoot away. I bought the Grover 406C lockers, which were a near-perfect fit. All holes lined up but I believe I had to enlarge the holes with a hand reamer. Surgery was pretty painless. I’m not sure if you can find these with pearl buttons but they’re otherwise a worthwhile upgrade.

18. Fat Bastid

Fat Bastid Gretschie

Jan 16, 2021
    England
    Greetings from East Sussex..
    You'll always find an answer to all your Gretsch questions here!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.