Hello, and need a Gretsch

jorey

Electromatic
Oct 3, 2022
Australia
Been playing in a garage rock n roll band for some many years with my trusty and souped-up Epiphone 335. I never had a full hollow body guitar, and now realise this was an tragic oversight. So I am looking at the big, beautiful Gretsches.

Love reading this forum and it encourages me to go out and get one!

I want to run whatever I get through my Twin Reverb or Musicman and get a clean and bright sound, and it will run loud over a particularly powerful drummer. I am not worried about feedback as I never have my guitar amp in my foldback and don't play with high gain.

Down here there are not a lot of new Gretsches in stock. Not a bad selection of guitars available second-hand though, which is more my market, anyway. Interested to get any opinions or sentiments :)

My trusted music store has two Gretsches on hand so I have been in to play them: a second-hand near-mint 2008 White Falcon and a new Anniversary. Both are wonderful. Preferred the feel and sound of the Falcon for my application, but preferred the tremolo action on the Anniversary. I think the longer scale-length of the Falcon is really for me. Still trying to get my head around the attitude of the White Falcon in terms of looks. I am more comfortable with the understated look of the Anniversary. But I do admire the attitude of the Falcon and find it quite compelling!

In the classifieds, there are a number of other candidates that I will be looking at. Firstly, a mint Black Phoenix. Like the Falcon, looks like it has a real visual presence to go along with its sheer size. I am hoping that it will have a similar clean sound and feel as the Falcon. If it is very similar to the Falcon, I think it might be the best candidate as I do like black guitars. I also a bit bamboozled by the lack of volume pots for each pickup... bold stuff! I do play a variety of venues and sometimes use backline or borrowed amps, so not sure how that would play out.

There is also an excellent condition 2005 6120 Nashville for a good bit less. And for a bit less again there are two Tennessee Roses available: one 2005 with simulated F-holes and the other is a Baldwin 2001 with F-holes.

Anyway, so nice to be part of this awesome community and I can't wait to get my Gretsch and show it off here 🤩

Bob Perrone

Synchromatic
Mar 7, 2017
allentown, pa
I'd go with what you are comfortable with and it sounds like that Falcon is edging into your heart. That being said, I'd stay away from the Baldwin era used piece you mentioned.
All the others you described should foot the bill for your needs as you described them.
You really can't beat a good Falcon, but that's just me...

tartanphantom

Friend of Fred
Jul 30, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
A 2001 Tennessean is not a Baldwin guitar, but would be pre-FMIC (Fender) era. Any model from 1989 to 2002 is considered pre-FMIC and has no Baldwin connection whatsoever. Nevertheless, I wouldn't dismiss it altogether, but I'd take some of the other models you mentioned before I chose a 2001.

AllenK

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2019
Staffordshire Moorlands, UK
Welcome.

If you like the feel and sound of the White Falcon, I don't think you can go too far wrong with that one. I'd always go with a guitar I'd been able to see and play over an unknown quantity on the internet. With it being used, if it's a good price, you won't lose money on it if you did decide to change to something else down the line.

I can vouch for an Annie as being a great guitar if you did want the more understated look and the Bigsby feel is significant for your playing style.

jorey

Electromatic
Oct 3, 2022
Australia
Well, I went back to the store with the intention of buying the Falcon, but after a longer sit down with both of them, I walked out with the Anniversary. Ended up being the better sounding of the two in my hands.

Thanks for your welcome here and a special thanks to the posters above reminding me that the Annie is a solid model and of the importance of evaluating the individual instrument rather than just the model.

Love my new guitar and the whole Gretsch vibe.

Hmmm, maybe have to change the bridge though. It never ends 🤣

tartanphantom

Friend of Fred
Jul 30, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Well, I went back to the store with the intention of buying the Falcon, but after a longer sit down with both of them, I walked out with the Anniversary. Ended up being the better sounding of the two in my hands.

Thanks for your welcome here and a special thanks to the posters above reminding me that the Annie is a solid model and of the importance of evaluating the individual instrument rather than just the model.

Love my new guitar and the whole Gretsch vibe.

Hmmm, maybe have to change the bridge though. It never ends 🤣
Smart man.
Congrats on a great guitar.

BobYoshi

Electromatic
Aug 4, 2022
Port Coquitlam
Been playing in a garage rock n roll band for some many years with my trusty and souped-up Epiphone 335. I never had a full hollow body guitar, and now realise this was an tragic oversight. So I am looking at the big, beautiful Gretsches.

Love reading this forum and it encourages me to go out and get one!

I want to run whatever I get through my Twin Reverb or Musicman and get a clean and bright sound, and it will run loud over a particularly powerful drummer. I am not worried about feedback as I never have my guitar amp in my foldback and don't play with high gain.

Down here there are not a lot of new Gretsches in stock. Not a bad selection of guitars available second-hand though, which is more my market, anyway. Interested to get any opinions or sentiments :)

My trusted music store has two Gretsches on hand so I have been in to play them: a second-hand near-mint 2008 White Falcon and a new Anniversary. Both are wonderful. Preferred the feel and sound of the Falcon for my application, but preferred the tremolo action on the Anniversary. I think the longer scale-length of the Falcon is really for me. Still trying to get my head around the attitude of the White Falcon in terms of looks. I am more comfortable with the understated look of the Anniversary. But I do admire the attitude of the Falcon and find it quite compelling!

In the classifieds, there are a number of other candidates that I will be looking at. Firstly, a mint Black Phoenix. Like the Falcon, looks like it has a real visual presence to go along with its sheer size. I am hoping that it will have a similar clean sound and feel as the Falcon. If it is very similar to the Falcon, I think it might be the best candidate as I do like black guitars. I also a bit bamboozled by the lack of volume pots for each pickup... bold stuff! I do play a variety of venues and sometimes use backline or borrowed amps, so not sure how that would play out.

There is also an excellent condition 2005 6120 Nashville for a good bit less. And for a bit less again there are two Tennessee Roses available: one 2005 with simulated F-holes and the other is a Baldwin 2001 with F-holes.

Anyway, so nice to be part of this awesome community and I can't wait to get my Gretsch and show it off here 🤩
Welcome from Port Coquitlam Canada

Latest posts