Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Headstock clear coat... Nitrocellulose Q?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by rockinforJesus, Dec 31, 2016.

1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Synchromatic

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd say it depends on how 'perfect' a job you want to do. 2/4 weeks, depending on temp and humidity would be ideal, as the finish will continue to gas off and shrink. If you level and buff it now, it will look perfectly flat, but later on the finish will sink around the logo, etc. Not a deal killer to me at all to move faster--but it's about making sure the finish isn't too soft that you make fine striations while you're wet sanding. You won't see them until the buffing begins.

Another plus for Minwax nitro lacquer--I used it on bakelite pickguards and buffed them out after a couple of days. Mind you it was in the driest and hottest part of the year.

rockinforJesus likes this.
  2. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    +1 with what BorderRadio said.

Wait at least a week before proceeding with the wet sanding. It think it will look fabulous when you're done.

I thought about getting one of those Gibson Tribute guitars (like the SG below) with the "faded" satin finishes, and then spraying some lacquer top coats on the entire guitar. That way you could get a shiny smooth lacquer finished guitar for less money than a standard. Of course, finishing IS a lot of work (and expense), so maybe not really a money saver unless you have the materials and equipment to do it right... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

3. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Gretschie

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    SG with minibuckers, mmmmm
    Sweetness

Frank_NH likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. T simmons

T simmons Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2013
    California
    Looks like you have a good start,It will all come out fine.

6. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    Yes! Check out Mr. Greg Koch demoing one of these guitars... (sorry for the thread derail :))

7. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Could you not simply buff it until shiny?

8. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Gretschie

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    David, the recoat after removing the orange peel produced a very shiny almost smooth finish.
    It has about 8 coats of lacquer on it now.
    What buffing wax would you use if any? I have some Johnson Paste Wax... use that, or automotive carnuba wax? Hand buffing, I assume?
    Thanks again for all the help.
    The hard part will be waiting to reassemble when the parts are right in front of me

9. englishman

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I was actually referring to the finish on the 'faded' SG.

The waiting does really suck. With the Tru Oil you can give it the sniff test, if it still smells like Tru Oil it's not cured yet. About ten days on average.

I wetsand with micro mesh pads ranging from 1500, 1800, 2400, 3200, 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000, and 12000 grits sequentially. Then some automotive polishing compound, then some automotive swirl remover and then finally the wax.

8 coats sounds like a lot but it's still thin, so be really careful about sanding through it. Even the 1500 can do that if you get carried away.

10. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    "Could you not simply buff it until shiny?"

I haven't seen one of the Gibson "faded" series guitars in the flesh, but the finish looks to be thin and matte, and hence there's not a lot of material to buff without the risk of sanding through. It also looks like the finish has sunk into the grain and pores of the mahogany, so applying some top coats would both fill the pores and provide enough material to polish to shiny surface.

Of course, this is moot point if you like the matte finish (which probably feels good as is)...

11. englishman

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Could be, the Fender Hiway One series were matt and easily buffed up to be shiny.

But like you, I have never looked closely at the Gibson version.

12. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    Here'ss another SG Tribute example. You can see how the unfilled wood grain and thin finish is part of the vibe of these guitars. You can certainly polish it a bit, but not to a gloss.

[​IMG]

13. Mal Belford

Mal Belford Gretschie

Apr 4, 2016
    Sweden
    Those Gibsons got a satin/flat finnish...tribs and faded.....

You can polish it a bit i think......

But they were from start satin/flat finnish

14. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Yeah they can't just be polished. I have the exact same kind of finish on my PRS CE24... it's going to get nice and smooth then very worn on the neck very very fast I think.

15. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Gretschie

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    A HUGE thank you to all who offered help in this quest.
    Make sure you check out the opening photo for comparison.
    Headstock is done, and I think it looks pretty darn good. Not perfect, but definitely adds to the mojo of this guitar.
    I am loving the Kluson Revolution 19:1 tuners... smooth as butter, direct replacement with NO redrilling, and adds some real nice bling, if ya' know what I mean ;)
    IMG_0132.JPG

...here's the back side :)
    IMG_0134.JPG

...and the completed guitar (YAY!)
    IMG_0131.JPG

16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Synchromatic

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Looks great! Now I see what you mean there...nice work.

benjwri and rockinforJesus like this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet Friend of Fred

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Good job, looks great.

benjwri and rockinforJesus like this.
  18. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    Great job! What material did you polish it with (3M Finesse It II, Meguires #7?)?

19. BrotherCharles

BrotherCharles Electromatic

Sep 6, 2016
    Nova Scotia
    Wow! Nice job. She looks fab!

Btw, were the original tuners the "Gibson Deluxe" type? That's what's on my 2006 LesPaul Studio. They're ok, but I would prefer something better. Me thinks those Kluson Revolutions would rock on it. :D

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  20. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Gretschie

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    It came with Kluson Deluxe white buttons. The Revolutions are definitely an upgrade

I used Johnson paste wax... the only thing I could find that said it can be used on wood, and it is readily available at Home D=pot. Probably could have used an automotive polish, as the polish goes on the lacquer and not directly on the wood.
    Thanks again for all the great suggestions.

Frank_NH likes this.
  21. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    You can always use automotive polishing compounds for nitro lacquer, which you can normally get at your local automotive parts store (along with wet/dry sandpaper). Stew Mac also sells similar polishing products and supplies. I've found it takes a lot of elbow grease to get a good polish by hand, so a buffing wheel and stand would be a worthwhile investment if you make or repair a lot of guitars.