Headstock break on instagram

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by 5120mantis, Sep 16, 2020.

1. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    20200916_124600.jpg i should have grabbed the link for this from insta, saw a head repair scrolling in my feed, i don't know much woodworking wise, the other pics show little dowels drilled in to the larger part of the head, and then i take it they tight bond it to the broken piece. The string tension isnt enough pressure to just break again eventually?

loudnlousy likes this.
  2. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

2 years ago, I experienced the "traditional" Gibson headstock snap.

Gibson SG CasséeWP_20180823_001.jpg

To my great surprise, it was not only good to trash yet. I was even explained that glue is more resistant to string tension that the wood itself. The SG now is alive and well and kicking.

Sure that Instagram head break is at a wrong place but I assume the same rule applies.

5120mantis likes this.
  3. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Good glue and clamping will hold it. The hard part is that super thick headstock face finish. Is that plastic? I wonder if it broke at a bad glue line to start with?
    I'd glue and clamp it with tuners removed. Then fill the crack in the black face with epoxy because it doesn't shrink back so much like a lot of glues. It sands hard so dont over fill... fill a second time if necessary.
    Eventually you can wet sand down to 1000 grit or even finer. This will leave it flat black looking.
    Then then polish with a foam polish wheel from Stew Mac using 3M Finesse-It polish or similar. With the 3M and foam wheel it will shine in like 15 seconds!
    If that face is plastic, I haven't done this technique with plastic... ? hmmm
    [​IMG]

Gregor and 5120mantis like this.
  4. afire

afire Country Gent

That's what I've always heard as well. I've never seen a headstock wing break entirely off a vintage Gretsch, but separation at the seem is fairly common. I would say that break is easily fixed and with a little finish work should be hard to even detect.

5120mantis likes this.
  5. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    oof... that breaks ah mai heart.

thunder58 and 5120mantis like this.
  6. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Pics like these always make me feel queasy .

5120mantis likes this.
  7. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    "I was even explained that glue is more resistant to string tension that the wood itself."

Except.... The picture may make that untrue! :eek::D

5120mantis likes this.
  8. afire

afire Country Gent

Well, I should say modern glue like Titebond. I think hide glue can be affected by conditions.

swivel and 5120mantis like this.
  9. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Does it still sound and feel the same?

10. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Being a woodworker, I can confirm that two pieces of wood glued edgeways will be stronger than the wood itself...that's assuming the pieces fit together properly. This does not apply to gluing the end grains though but doesn't apply in this case. As swivel says "Good glue and clamping will hold it". Titebond II will do it.

11. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

To me it does.
    But I must admit I don't have really accurate feelings and hearing when dealing with guitars. I just plug and tune the amp settings until the sound is good enough for me. All knobs on the guitar set at 11, as they always should :D

MTurner likes this.
  12. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada

That's an easy fix, glue/clamp/drill across the grain, steel pins/re-finish.

I have repaired several LP's and an Ovation with the head-stocks broken off completely.

They are much stronger once they have been repaired.

I heard it said once, the first thing you should do when you buy a Les Paul, is break off the head-stock, repair it properly, and it will never break again.

It makes you wonder how Angus Young has gotten along all this time, I've never heard of him breaking off the head-stock on one of his SG's

The head-stock on Ace Frehley's three pickup ''KISS'' cherry burst LP has a repaired broken head-stock.

John Lennon's 64 325 has a broken head-stock repair, that was not done properly, after the repair the head-stock flexed, the guitar was shortly after that retired.

There are lots of them out there with head-stock repairs.

BIB

RomanS and 5120mantis like this.
  13. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Ah, yes... the perfect settings for both kinds of music: rock and roll.

section2 and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  14. michelb

michelb Gretschie

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Found this a while back

Marv666 likes this.
  15. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Say what you want , but that's just me .
    Repair all you want ......I'd never buy a guitar with a broken headstock . And if I broke one , it would break my heart and I'd probably get rid of it immediately ( after the repair )

Back in Black likes this.
  16. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    It was cool to see them.put the "T" on the inlay of the logo first, guess thats how they even everything out.

17. michelb

michelb Gretschie

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    indeed my guess as well, that way you can easily grind the wood layer to the correct size before doing all the inlays.

I was thinking of letting my luthier finish the headstock on my electromatic like this. Solely for vanity sake tho, that's why it hasn't been done yet :p

5120mantis likes this.
  18. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Hey T,

I know you think it's like owning a car with a repaired fender, knowing in your mind, that somewhere under the new paint is hidden imperfection.

I repaired an original 1950's LP Gold Top/P90's and the repair disappeared to a point that when first seen by the owner, he was sure I had swapped out the body/neck.

The repair, without patting myself on the back, was perfect, completely invisible, and super strong.

I really wanted that guitar, made him a crazy $$$ offer, but he wouldn't part with it, I have an original Melody Maker, but one thing I've never owned is a LP.

Best,

BIB.

thunder58 likes this.
  19. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    That's exactly what I said to a co worker this morning . You're car is never the same :rolleyes:

Back in Black likes this.
  20. afire

afire Country Gent

I'm the same way. I could probably live with a repaired break like this, since it's along a seem and can likely be made invisible. But a conventional headstock break would be the end of a guitar's road with me.

thunder58 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.