Heads Up

Syndrome

Electromatic
Oct 3, 2020
DC
Just for the record, I happen to be a Proton user and it's a 100% legit service. Nothing nefarious about it at all. Encrypted email and virtually spam free.

( Unless of course, you hand out your email address to the spammers, which a surprising number of people do quite willingly. )

I mention this only because you've got a lot of red flags there, but that "untraceable" email address may not be one of them! LoL!

Anyway, what's the guitar you're looking for? Hope you get it all straightened out ... Good luck with it!
I’m looking to buy a 1957 Duo Jet. BTW…. I hope someone has one they’d sell.

Syndrome

Electromatic
Oct 3, 2020
DC
As a follow-up, the Gretsch-Talk user name being used to try to rip me off is “Sanders”. He signs his messages “Truong”.

Truong refused to send a picture of the serial number, but gave me the number 25594, which a cursory look on the Internet brought me to this guitar, which was sold some time ago:

https://www.retrofret.com/product.asp?ProductID=8865

I pointed out the discrepancy and he got a bit defensive, saying that he gave me enough information to buy the guitar and would not send me a picture of the serial number because he feared I could use it to rip someone off.

Fast forward two days. Then he decided he could not Explain how “his guitar“ had the same number as the one above, so he sent me a picture of the interior label, apologizing for getting it wrong the first time. The number on that label pictured was 23825. A little deeper look on the evil Internet brought me to an East Asian site:

He used the picture of the label on the guitar that was sold by Hyperguitars.

At this point, I’ve given this guy a huge benefit of the doubt, hoping I was wrong and he was on the up and up. Now that he has sent me pictures of one guitar, the serial number of a second guitar, and the picture of the inside of a third guitar, I am sadly convinced he’s not honest.

And he’s using the user name, Sanders, on Gretsch-Talk

Oh well…. I hope to find another 1957 Duo Jet to replace the one I stupidly sold.

Thanks for listening. Please keep your guards up!

Hi,

Thanks for the email, I've attached pictures here.
Nane : Lyn Truong
Address :813 W long lake drive.
Bloomfield hills MI 48303
Phone : 248 XXX XXXX

Last edited by a moderator:

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
I came very close to buying the Retrofret ‘57 Jet a couple of years ago. It seemed like a fine example at an uncharacteristically (for that shop) reasonable price. It sounds to me like whoever offered it to you is a scammer.

Syndrome

Electromatic
Oct 3, 2020
DC
Oh, there’s no doubt this was a nasty scam. Three guitars off the Internet. Photos provided were screenshots of three separate guitars, not taken directly with a camera or phone. Broken English, though that means nothing on its own. Proton mail, though that also means nothing alone. Strange “hours of operation”. Typical stuff.

The worst thing about it in my opinion is the use of someone else’s username here. Poor “Sanders” has no idea his or her name has been sullied.

Here’s what I don’t understand. Using PayPal as a way to get the money. If the guitar never materializes, PayPal would (I think) refund the money to the victim/buyer. I suppose the thief could vaporize upon receipt of payment, making it hard for PayPal to get the money back. But I don’t think PayPal clears the funds without delivery confirmation. I guess the thief could send a cinder block instead of a guitar, though “not as described” seems to be a fallback….

How do you protect yourself from losing money to such swine in the world?

Being honest to a fault, I’m confused by this…

Wayne Gretschzky

Country Gent
Aug 27, 2008
East Coast
I also have a proton account, so I’m not saying that alone is a reason to worry. It’s usually a combination of factors.

Let me ask this: Is it ever possible for two identical 1950s Gretsch guitars to have the same serial number?
The labels used on Gretsch guitars in the 50's were pre-printed with sequential numbers. Could there have been a mistake and two labels got the same number... I suppose, but I've never encountered that, and I've been documenting Gretsch serial numbers for a long time. Also... per Dan Duffy those serial numbers were also documented in a book that the Brooklyn factory would add the date of shipping and Retail customer to (this book no longer exists), so if there was a duplicate, they would have caught it there (IMHO).

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
Here’s what I don’t understand. Using PayPal as a way to get the money. If the guitar never materializes, PayPal would (I think) refund the money to the victim/buyer. I suppose the thief could vaporize upon receipt of payment, making it hard for PayPal to get the money back. But I don’t think PayPal clears the funds without delivery confirmation.
It's been a while since I used PayPal, but there was definitely a time when you could transfer funds to a bank account immediately upon receipt, run to the bank and withdraw them. Then a scammer could just close or abandon the account. PayPal would still have your back, but they'd have no way to get the money back. I'm sure they've instituted more protections for their own benefit. But I suspect the scammer's refusal to send you a request has something to do with avoiding those protections. I.e., if they did, it would be flagged as a commercial transaction and funds held until delivery or something along those lines.

Powertennyman

Electromatic
Feb 21, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
No doubt a scammer.
I had a problem with identity theft a few years ago and it was a real headache until I got it sorted out. One of the things the culprits had done is gain access to my PayPal Account.
Now I can understand how these ID thieves can be very sophisticated and manage to get access to so called secure accounts but what really burned my butt was when I contacted Pay Pal to close my account and after they did their "investigation" how resistant the reps I spoke with were to closing my account. It was like dealing with an annoying sales person (no offence intended to those who make their living in sales). I ended up having to move up the chain at Pay Pal until I finally got to someone with the decency/authority to close out the account.

Sabato

Country Gent
Mar 22, 2019
Massachusetts
Oh, there’s no doubt this was a nasty scam. Three guitars off the Internet. Photos provided were screenshots of three separate guitars, not taken directly with a camera or phone. Broken English, though that means nothing on its own. Proton mail, though that also means nothing alone. Strange “hours of operation”. Typical stuff.

The worst thing about it in my opinion is the use of someone else’s username here. Poor “Sanders” has no idea his or her name has been sullied.

Here’s what I don’t understand. Using PayPal as a way to get the money. If the guitar never materializes, PayPal would (I think) refund the money to the victim/buyer. I suppose the thief could vaporize upon receipt of payment, making it hard for PayPal to get the money back. But I don’t think PayPal clears the funds without delivery confirmation. I guess the thief could send a cinder block instead of a guitar, though “not as described” seems to be a fallback….

How do you protect yourself from losing money to such swine in the world?

Being honest to a fault, I’m confused by this…
American Express has had my back 100% of the time in the many disputes that I initiated over charges. They typically charge-back the vendor. For those who don't take Amex, my PayPal is linked to Amex so it's a double whammy.

General_Lee

Gretschie
Apr 23, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
We live in the day of the Scammer. It always surprises me just how many truly small and cowardly aholes there are in this world. Many at the top of the political food chain, or working the net, or both...

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
I've never been scammed but some have tried.

My attitude (works for me) is that the deal is phony until it is proven to be real. Any problem or anything fishy and I back away. I'm on my guard from the very beginning, expecting problems.
Don't get excited, control your emotions so you can't be manipulated.
I'm not searching for any rare guitars and that helps a lot. Whatever deal I pass on today will probably come around again later.
I don't buy expensive guitars, if I did it would only be from a reputable dealer.
Be careful buying Fender products, how can you prove you're not buying a cheap partscaster?
I've bought two guitars off FB/CL and controlled my excitement until I was driving home with the gear.

I believe that everyone who has been ripped off set themselves up for it, but obviously didn't realize that is what they were doing. The first way is to hope that the deal is real (Wow a White Falcon for $59, yeah!!) even though it smelled from the beginning.
When you decide you have to grab that one right now, you set yourself up for a rip off. Take some time and research everything.

Sabato

Country Gent
Mar 22, 2019
Massachusetts
I've never been scammed but some have tried.

My attitude (works for me) is that the deal is phony until it is proven to be real. Any problem or anything fishy and I back away. I'm on my guard from the very beginning, expecting problems.
Don't get excited, control your emotions so you can't be manipulated.
I'm not searching for any rare guitars and that helps a lot. Whatever deal I pass on today will probably come around again later.
I don't buy expensive guitars, if I did it would only be from a reputable dealer.
Be careful buying Fender products, how can you prove you're not buying a cheap partscaster?
I've bought two guitars off FB/CL and controlled my excitement until I was driving home with the gear.

I believe that everyone who has been ripped off set themselves up for it, but obviously didn't realize that is what they were doing. The first way is to hope that the deal is real (Wow a White Falcon for $59, yeah!!) even though it smelled from the beginning.
When you decide you have to grab that one right now, you set yourself up for a rip off. Take some time and research everything.
I completely agree. I have also witnessed some, maybe not outright scamming but people being conned into paying too much or buying what they don't need. I call it the "Emperor Has No Clothes" Syndrome. People with inflated egos that need massaging are quickly recognized by sharky sales-types and pounced upon, made to feel very wise and important to know enough to make this fabulous purchase etc. etc...
1660915932103.png