He Must Be Thinking of a Different Duesy

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by rake_ether, Apr 5, 2021.

1. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    A recent member of a Facebook group I belong to wrote of selling his White Falcon (I know) and wanting to replace it with a cheaper semi-hollow. He's looking at an Ibanez. I, being a Gretsch fanboy, wrote to suggest a center-block Streamliner or Electromatic to which the OP replied he's look into them. Then, another member suggested Duesenbergs as a much cheaper alternative to Gretsch. WHAT! I'm always interested in a Joe Walsh model but none ever come up for sale under about $2800.

nickurso likes this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    .... and you didn't buy the Falcon ??

Duo Slinger likes this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Those Duesenberg's are nice ;)

4. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    And just where on earth are Duesenbergs going for less than a Gretsch? Much cheaper alternative?! That's crazy talk.

Waxhead likes this.
  5. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    For me, Duesenberg Julia :

[​IMG]

Or Wandrella :

[​IMG][​IMG]

Not available in LH. Too bad... :( ... And fortunately for my wallet ! ;)

A+!

CKC411, Archtops, gtttrrr and 2 others like this.
  6. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    He sold it before he posted. Anyway, I've had a proline on order for two months now and will be revealed when it arrives (in 3 weeks or so I've been told).

thunder58 likes this.
  7. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    I can't find a straight up honest answer as to where Duesenberg guitars are actually made. That doesn't seem to be a problem with most any other brand. It on the surface looks the true answer to this very simple question is being evaded by Duesenberg and has been clear back to when I first heard them around 2012 give a or take a couple years.

MotorCentaur, adauria and rake_ether like this.
  8. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Never mind we need a delete button :)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    wabash slim likes this.
  9. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    Just hung mine on the wall.

IMG_9668.jpg

10. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    My favourite Duesenberg.

[​IMG]

11. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    I think they are Korean. However, I am willing to be corrected.

new6659 likes this.
  12. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    I liked the looks of them first time I saw then, as I did Hagstrom, and D'Angelico, and various Electromatic Gretsch models lainly identified as Korean or China. I never would consider a Duesenberg at the price point they are $2899.25 not sure what the twnety five cents in the price is all about? Maybe another thing to keep you from asking, where are these made? This company IMO has been very deceptive about it from the beginning and still are deceptive with their wording. Here is what they say on Musicians Friend about their "Fullerton Duesenburg USA Starplayer"

This guitar indeed originates at the American Duesenberg workshop in Fullerton, (very important to note, this that it originates :) which happens to be just a few steps away from Leoʼs very first workshop. That should really add some Fender mojo magic to the Duesenberg. LOL

What would be so hard about saying "Made In USA, or Made In Germany, or Made In China, or Made In Indonesia, or Made in Swaziland or wherever? I can't think of any guitar manufacturer who does not tell you where their guitars are made. I also could give a rats about who endorses them or who plays them if they are already famous for their playing and music they are getting paid $$$ for the endorsment and any of those people at that level could play a Daisy Rock and sound just as good as they do playing a custom shop built guitar. :)

azrielle, hcsterg and Gretschtim1 like this.
  13. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The general consensus seems to be that the bodies and necks are made in Korea with final assembly and set up in Germany. Hardware is sourced from multiple countries. It should be a simple thing to open their factory up and let people in and show guitars being made from scratch. The reason for the secrecy is pretty obvious: their high prices. While Korean made guitars are high quality, they cost less to produce than guitars made in Germany or the US, so the selling price is usually lower. It's in the company's financial interest to duck the questions with ambiguous answers. They don't want to outright lie, as that could expose them to investigation and potential legal problems, but they also don't want to come clean. I read that on the internet, so it has to be true. :D

adauria, Retro, new6659 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    While I don't have a problem with them not saying where the wood parts are made (guitars should stand on their own merits, right?), I dont see why they try to obfuscate.

Just come out and say "Duesenberg obtains the best materials and uses the best labor, no matter where located. We stand behind our quality regardless of where different parts come from, and we want our customers to focus on our high quality, rather than country of origin."

Generally, the "Made in" label is determined on a value added basis. I would not be surprised if more of the value added is in Germany due to the hardware and final assembly.

drmilktruck likes this.
  15. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    So true, Henry. I always think of Eastman guitars when this discussion comes up. They state right up that they are made in China by the loving hands of true craftsmen. They are not inexpensive but pick up one and play it and that becomes a hard point to argue.

rcboals and Henry like this.
  16. Archtops

Archtops Gretschie

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    My lap steel Duesenberg was made in Germany. Or so I think. Lol!
    FDF7CDDE-4F8B-457D-BFB3-C88515A3A1A4.jpeg 6053C27F-A50F-42C2-92E1-28BD65FE579C.jpeg 48CC9ECB-E47C-400B-A5E5-A5B7CAA20947.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  17. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Archtops and new6659 like this.
  18. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    For those interested in history: here you can see the original '80s Duesenberg guitars:
    https://www.atze-rockinger.de/de/story/1980-duesenberg.html
    They have been a side-project by Dieter Gölsdorf, one of the founders of Rockinger Guitars (parts and kits in the '80s, inventors of the first locking+finetuning vibrato) in Hannover, Germany. Lots of pictures from the '80s, the original Rockinger-workshop when they built their stuff entirely in Germany. Good old days, I went on a cycling tour during the summer break in 1988, 16 years old, to visit Rockinger and order my Tele-kit, more than 600km in total.

Retro, Archtops and drmilktruck like this.
  19. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Originally, the Duesenberg were made in USA - How nice were they ! - The "American Bugatti" :cool: :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aw, sorry : we were talking about the (obscure) provenance of an homonymous brand of guitars... :oops: Not those "Rolling Legends" ! :D

I couldn't resist... :rolleyes:;)

A+!

20. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Where can you get a Duesy for $2800.
    I've never seen one under 4k.

They rate with ES-335s as possibly the most over priced guitars in history imo :rolleyes:

new6659, Robbie and rake_ether like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.