Have you sold a guitar lately?

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
I haven't had even a nibble on a really, really nice 2010 mim sunburst Fender Tele with hard case for $500, posted four weeks ago On CL. Is it the season? Is it inflation worries? Phase of the moon? My neighborhood (which is very nice)? Halitosis?
I’m not desperate to sell, it’s just one too many guitars in my music barn. But five years ago this guitar would have been snapped up in a couple days. I'm gonna pull the ad tomorrow and give it a rest.
So I’m curious. What’s your experience? In the last, say, six months, have you sold or attempted to sell a guitar?
Hey JR,

I don't sell!

There's a ''baker's dozen'' upstairs, and another couple dozen in the store room.

I've gifted a few in the past 20 years, other than that, ''The Gang's All Here''!!

Best,

BIB.

Falconetti

Synchromatic
Sep 18, 2012
Bagsville, Oxford UK
Congrats in your sale. I have sold a few lately. ( 2 National resonators, an Epi 335 and a Falcon) but but i didn’t try for top dollar and notice that interest has completely dried up in the last few weeks. I still have 2 more to move so i may have to wait until things improve economically (sic). Seems there are plenty of sellers chasing few buyers but the interesting thing is how the prices people are asking seems to be going up not down despite lack of sales. Veblen economics in action maybe.

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida
My local CL is pretty dead… I think people have moved on to other platforms. Facebook marketplace and Reverb.

I’ve only tried CL one time and took it off with after the scammers contacting me. We moved on as you suggested and usually sell on Marketplace and Reverb. I’ve got a Squire that I want to unload but haven’t yet.

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2012
France

Have you sold a guitar lately?​

No.

Have you bought a guitar lately?​

Yes.

I did not found the prices more advantageous : conversely, they continue to climb... But maybe LH models escape the general rules of the whole market ?

A+!

Gregor

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 17, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
My local CL is pretty dead… I think people have moved on to other platforms. Facebook marketplace and Reverb
I have the same experience with Kijiji (the Canadian equivalent of CL). Lately I've been having much better luck selling on Facebook Marketplace. There also seems to be fewer lowballers.
However I'm keeping an eye out for an acoustic Taylor or Martin on both platforms.

AZBrahma

Synchromatic
Dec 18, 2020
Arizona
I have several screaming deals on CL right now, and have for months. Things that are not only great gear, but notably below Reverb and Ebay prices. NOTHING. No action whatsoever aside from generated scam emails which I can smell ten miles away. Used to be no problem selling things on CL. Hence my recent thread on mothballing some stuff and trying again later or letting the kids deal with it when I die.

I was a big Reverb and Ebay seller, until they implemented buyer policies that can be (and sometimes are) used by bad actors to absolutely screw good sellers while they take your money in the process. Not to mention the recent themes of multiple taxation across personal transactions between private citizens. Done with them for selling, though I occasionally buy.

FB marketplace is a non-starter for me, as I don't use FB for a hundred reasons. I can't support that company, nor do I wish to become a subject to one of the worst things that ever happened to mankind, IMO only of course (integrated social media platforms).

It all sounds and feels pretty negative, but it is a great time for a musician - or a million other things - when it comes to buying gear or other hobby provisions, and a total drag when it comes to selling any of it.

swivel

Country Gent
Silver Member
May 13, 2018
PNW
I haven't had even a nibble on a really, really nice 2010 mim sunburst Fender Tele with hard case for $500, posted four weeks ago On CL. Is it the season? Is it inflation worries? Phase of the moon? My neighborhood (which is very nice)? Halitosis?
I’m not desperate to sell, it’s just one too many guitars in my music barn. But five years ago this guitar would have been snapped up in a couple days. I'm gonna pull the ad tomorrow and give it a rest.
So I’m curious. What’s your experience? In the last, say, six months, have you sold or attempted to sell a guitar?
Things are selling slow. Even if a good deal. I find removing them and reposting after a couple days often results in a sell. You may have to do this a couple times. Or post in a surrounding area also.
It's weird, the price of things is way up, so you put up something at older prices and they still dont sell! If it takes too long to sell I may go to Reverb to sell and it often works. Use Reverb shipping, it is far less $ than if you ship personally, so amps and guitars can be shipped at a decent price.
I sold a guitar in case a couple years back. My personal Fedex account wanted $71 shipping. On Reverb shipping it was $38 coast to coast.

I sold a vintage Guild acoustic recently on CL. Priced cheap it sold after I relisted it. It had a previous repaired neck crack. Also sold a higher priced Archtop on CL recently. ($800)
I've seen Gretsches dirt cheap though that hang around.
I've had a blond Tele black guard partscaster on there forever at $275 or so with good pickups.

Last edited:

freddyfingers

Gretschified
Platinum Member
Its always a toss up. Sometimes i posit things and they sit, then i repost and it sells within hours. I cant predict sales trends. I know this is the time of year that people try to unload for the holidays, and sometimes expect more than is realistic. So if your buying, now seems a good time. I have a few things currently listed here and there will see what happens. I did post them to Craigslist , but the thrill of dealing with the standard craigslist people instead of just eating some fees and shipping is the decision.

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
Over here "vintage mainstream" guitars (pre-seventies Gibson Les Pauls/ES335s/SGs, Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster) seem to sell fast and at very high prices today.
Because of my ripe age I have a lot of guitarist-friends that are fulfilling their youth-dreams by buying and selling some cool guitars. Usually they already have some (already valuable) gear collected over the years that is somehow not used anymore.
When you can sell a late fifties Junior for 10 K it is not an all-too big step-up to buy a late sixties LP for16 K. And that`s what they do. (Recently I am invited to do some vntage-guitar-cork-sniffing on a monthly base.)
Same with vintage Marshalls, Voxes, Fenders and Hiwatts.
Usually ads like these won`t be there for more than a week or so.
Sometimes word-of-mouth will sell that kind of gear before it is officially advertised.

But it takes very much patence to sell a more modern high-end guitar like a PRS, Gibson or Fender Custom Shop or a Proline Gretsch for good money.

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
Folks,

With the times being the way they are, I'm of the opinion you have to search the ''wanted to buy'' ads if you have something you want to get rid of.

With few exceptions, I think the last thing anybody wants to buy right now, is a used guitar.

A number of our local shops have stopped taking in trades, as they can't sell what they have in stock, and they can't afford to put anything on ''Sale Specials''

There were no Black Friday Sales at the guitar shops in my area.

Now, more than ever, you have to buy very carefully, and buy for keeps.

If you're still buying on impulse, buying to see if it's a good fit, only to find it's not, or buying, thinking ''I can always sell it'', you're better off, passing on the purchase all together and walking away.

I have mentioned here before, other than a few pieces that I've gifted away in the past 20+ years, I have all my guitars, and nothing is for sale.

I make an exception with dive gear. I consider everything to be consumable, with a finite service life. When that time is reached, old is replaced with new, and I do not keep dive gear I do not use.

I look at dive gear as a tool. Of all the things I have enjoyed collecting in my life, dive gear is not one of them.

Best,

BIB.

Pops

Synchromatic
May 23, 2022
SC Midlands
Asking prices are all over the place around here. There’s a used gear shop nearby listing a used acoustic for $150. It sells new for $80. CL sellers in the region here frequently relist, but I rarely see price cuts.

Maguchi

Gretschie
Aug 11, 2022
Lalaland
My two cents. Maybe inflation, and a saturation of the guitar market from all the guitars sold in the record sales years of 2020-21.

Lou Coppolino

Country Gent
Jul 23, 2022
Howell, NJ
I've traded gear and , IMO, bought wisely in my budget.

IMO, GC is good to buy from.

They're terrible to trade with.

Vendors tend to be extremely one sided.

You need to take stock of yourself.

dspellman

Gretschie
Jul 4, 2020
Los Angeles
I have not had a guitar on Craigslist for a few months but I still look at Craigslist daily and many guitars have been on the list for months and months. It looks like now is not the time to sell.
Depends on the guitar (and any other item). I've been trying to snag a 4U rack case for a few months now, but I'm evidently too slow. Agile guitars disappear immediately if they're priced even remotely reasonably. Don't see many Gretsches on our CL, but a ton of Gibsons and a bunch of strats and teles of questionable origin.