Have you ever worked at a company, where you felt like they asked too much of you?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by ZackyDog, Oct 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GHook

GHook Gretschie

Sep 3, 2010
    wnc
    I have had my own business or worked as an independent contractor for established companies. For the almost 50 years I did this I had some amazing years and some good years with some really bad years thrown in. Here is my advise. Be wealthy,.be poor, but whatever you do stay out of debt. By that I mean owing for items other than your home or a car ( not an expensive one) Live within your means. Don't ever spend to impress and if working for others be a good, dependable employee not the workhorse. They always jettison the workhorse.

Waxhead, new6659, MrWookiee and 5 others like this.
  2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I am working for 35+years for the same big corporation and had a good career.
    I worked 60 hours per week and even had some events on weekends that I had to attend.
    I felt good about my work, felt that it was worth it and earned good money with it.
    The downside:

I had to move several times and my son hat to change school 5 times because of that.

My job was great but it was a burden to my family (who loved all it`s financial and social advantages, though).
    Nevertheless I always enjoyed my job until 2008 when the financial crisis caused my boss to make some staff decisions out of sheer desperation.
    Part of this decision was rotating his managers. In this process I had to take a big and undeserved step-back.
    This was completely random and I was really devasted.
    I never recovered from that.
    I do not feel secure and comfortable anymore.
    In retrospect I think that I gave the best years of my life for people that did not deserve my enthusiasm and work.
    My workload has reduced since them a bit and I do things on a much lower level that is increasingly not challenging me enough.
    Since I am too old now I do not expect any positive career moves in the remaining years of my labor time.
    There are partial-retirement-options on the table but I cannot afford them.

Stefan87, Waxhead, Bertotti and 3 others like this.
  3. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I'm done with knocking myself out for billionaires. Mind you, I'm pretty lucky in that the house is paid for, and Mrs D is very low maintenance. I work 3 days a week, 10 minutes walk from my house. Apart from some minor health niggles, I'm the luckiest guy I know!

4. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    ZD,

My employers never pushed me...I pushed me...and during my pre retirement years (all 47 of them), I worked three quarters of the way around the world and back and never found anyone in my field of expertise that I could honestly say...Wow, I hold my hand up.

Every once in a while, I was advised that ''someone'' was incoming that was going to blow everybody's doors off...they dragged up before the first R&R.

All I can say is, do your best, be honest, own your mistakes and stand back and watch all this ''chaff'' get blown away by the wind!

If you willing admit...he/she is better than me...you've already failed!

BIB.

ZackyDog and MrWookiee like this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Just a reminder----
    Beware of the clause "other duties as assigned" in your job contract.
    That'll bite ya in the ass.

6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Gary:

There must be some law that supersedes that and prevents companies from exploiting workers and/or unethical/inhumane practices? ;)

7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You'd think so, but, it often gets swept under the table. I remember may times I worked a 16 hour day, only to get four hours off and then had to do it all over again. Worked for a month of OT without a day off. Not allowed to unionize. Worked 8 or 9 hours without a break or food after putting in an 8 hour day. Driving sound and lighting gear from state to state, sometimes making it a 14-16 hour day, in violation of ICC rules for commercial truck drivers. It wasn't like that when I started, but, a regime change voided a lot of things that made it a good job. By then, it was too late to change, so I rode it out.

"If you don't like it, there's the door". The ivory tower has a foul, nasty basement, and I had a family to feed and house.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    tolm, G5422T, new6659 and 1 other person like this.
  8. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yep, those folks parachutes are gold. The "Ordinary Average Guy" get a parachute with a guaranteed hard landing.

So glad to be finally retired from the rat race of dedication, loyalty, long hours, traveling, and just waiting for the inevitable.

Robbie, ZackyDog and wabash slim like this.
  9. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've been retired for ten years. I'm still catching up on sleep. Enjoying it as much as possible.

tolm, loudnlousy and G5422T like this.
  10. The Box

The Box Gretschie

Feb 9, 2020
    Iran
    I am a mining engineer and used to work in an Iron ore mine. I used to do anything I could in order to help the company grow. but after some years when I decided to get out and work somewhere else the manager refused to pay me what I owed. it was a real battle for me. I had a contract but I had done some jobs that wasn't in the contract as I said just to help the company. yeah, I know how it feels when you work all by your heart and responsibility then they treat you like they don't know you.
    After that experience I decided to work as written in my contract. not more, not less.

Waxhead and ZackyDog like this.
  11. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    Life ain't perfect down here, but those sorts of things would see companies prosecuted down here. Like mentioning working for an aeronautical company over 100 hours a week - OH&S simply wouldn't allow it. And no sane manager or company would allow it, either, given that quality and productivity drops off so sharply with tiredness. Better to pay a second person lower hourly rates (i.e. not overtime (though that doesn't apply for the self employed)) than pay too much overtime.

12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    All companies once they hit a certain size are run by bean counters. They have little to no regard for you as a person or employee. They will go through the motions as long as you perform but the minute you stop jumping through the hoops and fight back just a little you see that in reality, you are just a number to them. Eventually, that number is erased. I would like to think better of companies but if covid has shown me one this it's all about the bottom line and even more than money, it's about the liability. My employer literally has people watching our social media to see how we comment. I have been warned but since I never ever say who I work for or what I do they can't fire me for my comments. That should be enough to show what companies really think of their employees.

On the other hand, there is an entire group of people who have the that's not my job attitude. And expect big pay for almost no work. No initiative you constantly have to babysit them or they will skip steps and take shortcuts just because they don't want to do whatever it is you asked of them.

Stefan87 and ZackyDog like this.
  13. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I worked for a government entity.

14. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Sounds like standard corporate policy to me.
    Wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard a similar story.

I've worked for private enterprise, Govt agencies and as a freelance consultant as sole operator.
    I've been treated as an expendable working unit for every company I've been employed by.

Even Govt agencies in Aust have adopted this exploitive model the past 10 years.
    About 40% of public servants in Australia are now "casuals" with no job security.
    I'm a semi-retired consultant now and will never return to corporate employment :D

new6659, ZackyDog and pmac11 like this.
  15. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes true - that degree of exploitation would result in a heavy fine or a workers strike in Aust.
    It's one of the many advantages of very strong trade Unions (non criminal infected) and employment laws.

It was the Unions here (ACTU) who have forced the protective laws through plus all the other good working conditions we have in Australia. The corporate sector has opposed them at every turn.

16. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    What I am really thinking is : Was it worth it investing my lifetime into it?
    I did not build a house (although I bought and sold one). I did not plant a tree and I did "only" raise a (super beloved) stepson. Is this somekind of late midlive crisis? I feel unfullfilled at this point.
    Crazy, how deep conversations are getting here. Love this place.

new6659, pmac11 and Waxhead like this.
  17. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    To explain my disdain for giving my entire life to the company I invented an axiom: No one on their death bed ever said "Gee I wish I had worked more hours!"

As I wrote earlier in the thread, I've sometimes had to work as much as 80 hours a week for periods of as long as a year and hated it.
    I've been told (more than once) that it is cheaper for the company to work current staff to death than it is to hire more workers. It shouldn't be that way.

ZackyDog, Waxhead and Bertotti like this.
  18. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    No one on their deathbed wishes they'd spent more time in the office.

19. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Our company limits us field-based guys. I drive a company car and when we hit 12 hours we have an hour to get a hotel. Not allowed to drive after 12 except to get to a hotel. But we all know this has nothing to do about taking care fo the employee and everything to do with limiting liability for the company.

20. tolm

tolm Gretschie

Jan 25, 2016
    UK
    I’ve been there ... been the “star employee” that was relied on for everything ... been bullied in to managing the rest of the team against all my instincts and career aspirations ... which was followed swiftly by my boss leaving for another role ... with no replacement: leaving me doing my job, the new team management job and his job ... all whilst covering for a director who was never around as he was either “working from home” (in Ireland) or concocting bogus business trips to the US to spend time with his mistress ...

That sent me under: spent 6 months signed off work with stress and depression, thoughts of suicide, etc. Not a fun period in my life. Although, I can remember very little about it to be honest. My wife however remembers it - and how dark I became - much clearer.

Thankfully through it now with the support of my family and treatment from medical professionals. Biggest thing I’ve learned is to say “no” rather than always trying to “people please”. I’ve found a much better team to work in and both my ex-manager and that director have been “let go” from the company as this was very much a “pattern” for their behaviour.

Sorry if that was too much of a share. :)

Stefan87 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.