Have you ever worked at a company, where you felt like they asked too much of you?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by ZackyDog, Oct 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I've seen some co-workers get thrown under the bus. One guy spent at least 10 months away from home in Rio de Janeiro, working on a $175 million airplane recovery project. He was a workaholic and regarded (briefly) as a superstar employee. I really liked working/corresponding with him for the few times I actually saw him at HQ.

When he returned home to the USA, he came back to an empty house. His wife apparently got fed up, left their home in Arizona, and took their baby to Hawaii. I recall her family (parents, siblings[?]) lived there. He had a breakdown and was under a doctor's care (e.g. he was not working). The next thing I knew he was on some sort of probation for not following through on his subsequent project.

When he was feeling better, he resigned. Some of the guys had a farewell party for him. Our director did not attend the party and refused to give him a recommendation when he sought new employment.

I'm a little shaky on some of the details, but that's the gist of it.

Back in Black and LA Miles like this.
  2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    The "mindset" of today.

Employers want it all, all of the time. There's always someone in line to do it.

Employee's, careers and work come first, family and time with family come second.

"Balance" is the key, and it doesn't come easy, but it is out there.

One just has to find the happy medium, in a world where employers and employee's share the equal guilt in today's insanity.

Very, very few can really "have it all."

3. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I don't know if I would call it asking too much, but I've definitely had one where I felt underappreciated. I was on my previous job for about three and a half years until a little over a year ago. I started with an entry- level job, moved up three times with a raise each time, and one day I went in and my supervisor told me he was giving my job to this guy that just happened to be his buddy, and was moving me to a job that basically amounted to janitor. I wouldn't have minded if that had been my entry- level job, but to me that's just not something you do to someone that's been on the job for three and a half years, always at work on time, and never missed a day unless he or a family member was genuinely sick. I ended up quitting over it.

Les Pedals, Henry, MrWookiee and 3 others like this.
  4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Something similar happened to me this week. Ma Lumbergh is having a tough go of things right now and I've been flying up to NorCal twice a month when I can to help. I admittedly made a mistake earlier this week due to the exhaustion and stress, but whatevs. Five years of service and I'm 30-day probation.

CalicoSkies, mrfixitmi and ZackyDog like this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Been there, done that. Glad I've retired. 30 years of 60 hour weeks takes a toll. There were times that it seemed I was the only person working on campus when everyone else was off. Going above and beyond didn't pay any better either.

Remember, if you die, they'll have you replaced in a couple of weeks. You can easily be replaced.

6. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    For much of my life I worked as a machinist in job shops and it sucked. The company would bid on jobs and get some, usually for not enough money and with impossible deadlines, then all the workers would be on a 12hr/5 or 6 days/8hrs on Sunday shift sometimes for a year or more. Or worse.
    They thought that since they were willing to pay us we should be willing to work those hours but you had no life. Lots of money with no time to spend it, kids forgot what their Dad looked like, wives found excitement elsewhere so the divorce rate was sky high. When you were off you were too tired to do anything but relax and sleep.
    Eventually that job would ship and there would be nothing to do so layoffs were common. There were more than a half-dozen shops in that area and it was like a merry-go-round. Who is hiring this week, sometimes it felt like temp work.

What I've described was the worst scenario and didn't happen all that often but I had to live through it a few times. Glad I'm retired.

7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    2 jobs for the past 30 years here ( yup , at the same time ) can't wait to retire in 2 years

8. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    A boss can you make you feel like you are really needed and then let you go. The end result is that the boss got you to work as much possible. Family and friends will stand by you as long as you can balance your work and personal life. The end result is that if you balance your work life you will have a personal life.

There are two postulates with regards to money that I live by:

1. You can't take it with you.
    2. It's only money.

9. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I've been working for myself for 10 years. I'm probably unemployable now.

pmac11, Lionpotato, MrWookiee and 7 others like this.
  10. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin
    In my nearly 30 years with the same company, time and changing attitudes caused periods of this. Due to buyouts I worked for 4 companies and kept the same office. As the years rolled on it shifted from where we cared about each other as well as the work to a strictly transactional model. I once survived three downsizings in the same year. It defiantly took a big piece of the joy out of the work. As much as I miss some of the people and some of the actual work, I am thoroughly enjoying retirement and that part of my life has faded into memory just like my time at school & the military has. A big piece of that is that my work was never my life; family, friends and music were/are. My mantra was 'the work feeds the body, the music feeds the soul'.

11. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I try to be as much professional as I could, every time. I never said no to any request of extra hours if it would serve the work I was doing. I never let a colleague down, or make him work more because of my selfish behavior. I know what I’m able to deliver, I have my times and my method and since today I never failed a deadline of any project I’ve been involved.
    Said that, once I’m off the office, I’m off. I have a life outside my job that (and my boss knows that because I told him several times) is as much important as it. Music is part of it. My boss never told me ‘no’ when I asked him some extra time for touring or recording simply because he knows I’d do the same when he needs to.
    Give as much as you could and be the best that you can but once you’re off, don’t let anybody makes you feel guilty you didn’t do enough, ‘cause it’s bull****. Work to live, don’t live to work. Life is short and there’s no money in this world worth it.

12. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    Retired now - :) Never felt over worked but it seemed that bosses were willing to let some employees slide so as not to have to address the situation. Yet the slackers would would still get raises etc. and God forbid you mention something because then you are labeled a troublemaker.

Unfortunately an old saying is true - if you want to get a job done give it to the busiest person because somehow they'll get it done while the slacker just rolls along.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  13. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Gretschie

Aug 16, 2019
    United States
    To me, it comes down to ethics and honor. Most people have an excuse list for why they or the people they like are not responsible for acting ethically. Why it just is the way it is, and has nothing to do with them, and how anyone who calls them out is a whiner. Few truly take care of their own, beyond making excuses for them. Virtually none hold themselves and their own to a higher standard, own their mistakes, and expect to be held accountable.

I'm not talking about the employees. I'm talking about the "leaders." Ethics among business leadership are very hard to find. In addition, in over 20 years in the higher ed and nonprofit world, I can tell you that profit motive is not a requirement. It's about ego, lack of ethics, and simply poor (and myopic) leadership. Almost anywhere you find a hierarchy these days, you find the bosses dehumanizing everyone else.

HOYERGEORGE, MrWookiee and mrfixitmi like this.
  14. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    More people quit/lose jobs due to bad bosses more than any other reason. I agree with your thought about working for non profit and higher ed. Having spent much of my adult life working for ivory towers, i guarantee it's the egos and idiocy of the upper echelon. The Peter Principle is very obvious in the .edu world. I realized working at a state campus wouldn't be financially rewarding, but, having seen what my Dad went thru when an auto plant went down, I settled for steady work. He either worked double shifts, was laid off, or was on strike. I never got rich, but was never out of work. It was a trade off.

pmac11, 19MGB76 and mrfixitmi like this.
  15. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I'm self employed and my boss is an ass. :(

SAguitar, Waxhead, mrfixitmi and 9 others like this.
  16. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    After the November 2001 Boeing layoffs, I was eager for any work (full-time, temporary) that I could find.

I took a 3-day assignment at a Boeing division in March 2003. After it was over they asked me if I would go to California for 6 weeks. I said "OK, please tell me more". You'll be working from 6:00am - 12:00am (18 hours/day), Monday through Saturday; that's 108 hrs/week. They were not exaggerating. I was incredulous and balked at the "offer". They must have been breaking some kind of law(s)?(!) To me, it wasn't an opportunity...it was insanity.

HOYERGEORGE, mrfixitmi and ruger9 like this.
  17. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    Yeah, I'm self employed. I've been asking my boss for long service leave; he keeps on ignoring me. :(

speedicut and mrfixitmi like this.
  18. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Man, over here (Italy, but I think Europe) 108 hours a week would be considered slavery, not work.
    Over the last 4 years I peaked on 80/90 hours a week for a 2 months span and I felt so tired I could barely do something in my free day. I suffered from gastritis and bad rush on my skin (that went away when I stopped working that much, so they were stress related) and I had a couple of harsh confrontation with my wife (never done that before in my life).
    I would think about it before to accept and mulling at all the opportunities.
    Other than that, worker’s union over here would never allowed a thing like that.

speedicut and ZackyDog like this.
  19. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I will be retiring in eight months. That is not soon enough.

Throughout my career I have spent an equal amount of time as an Employer and an Employee working for larger companies so I feel I have a fairly balanced outlook. What I see today are extremes and by that I mean I see Corporations so concerned with work life balance that nothing gets done and Corporations that have no concern about work life balance and continually burn people out and have a revolving door policy as far as Employees go. As with most things in life there needs to be a balance.

Eight months will not come soon enough.

Tony65x55 and ZackyDog like this.
  20. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I've been on both sides: I'm now self-employed for 15 years, but spent the previous 20 working for other people.

Honestly, it's six of one/half dozen of the other. In both cases, I'm done- I'm only 51, and can't wait to "retire"... I would rather donate my skills and time FOR FREE to someplace like Habitat For Humanity, than deal with the "working world" anymore. Everyone (whether it's a boss or a client) wants MORE for LESS. And you are thought of as "selfish", "overpriced", or "not dedicated enough" if you don't bow. F 'em.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    HOYERGEORGE, pmac11, Waxhead and 5 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.