Have You Ever Left a Concert Before the Headliner?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Jul 19, 2021.

1. GHook

GHook Gretschie

Sep 3, 2010
    wnc
    Didn't walk out before but did walk out on a Dylan concert. The Dawes opened and were excellent. Like an idiot I paid $200 to one of those resellers online only to get to a half-full Civic Center selling tickets at the gate for $20.

Honestly, I could barely figure out what song was being played. Dylan changed chords and tempos and garbled his way through the 5 songs we stayed for, it was horrible!

Of course the folks next to my wife and I were like cultists and explained "we just don't get Dylan", lol.

What I do get, some acts need to stay off the tour circuit and remain in the studio.

By the way, I still consider Dylan one of the greatest poets, songwriters of all time.

Freshy, new6659 and drmilktruck like this.
  2. Blewzman

Blewzman Electromatic

Dec 7, 2017
    Bella Visa
    No, but a couple of years ago my wife wanted to see Sheryl Crow(not excited) and Jason Isbell and the 400 opened (very excited). When Jason finished I would say 35/40% of the crowd left.

Freshy and drmilktruck like this.
  3. Thass

Thass Gretschie

Dec 29, 2019
    Palm Desert
    Buffalo NY 1987 Level 42 was opening for Madonna. My buddy and I wanted to see Level 42 and agreed to leave before Madonna, but we couldn’t get tickets. So almost.

4. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Hmmmm, I guess I've left DURING the headliner a couple of times; Tedeschi /Trucks and Santana.
    Tedeschi Trucks was early in their combining together. Everyone want to hear Susan really, it was advertised like she was the headliner with her songs. We, and many others, gave it 45 minutes and gave up. She never sang and the Trucks solo's went on forever and ever and ever.... There was a flood of people to get out.
    Santana seemed to be one long jam.

5. bigjohnbates

bigjohnbates Gretschie

Jun 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    in Toronto at the 92 Lolapalooza .. watched everything until Red Hot Chilli Peppers. They should not have played after Ministry -- I think we saw 3 songs as we were leaving the venue. More recently in Vancouver Rod Stewart was the headliner and Santana was support. Rod brought a Vegas-style show but the intensity of Santana's performance made me lose interest in Rod quickly and I simply took a few pictures as I left.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    drmilktruck likes this.
  6. Johno99

Johno99 Electromatic

Feb 24, 2017
    Haslemere, UK
    Yes, Queen at Wembley Stadium after Mercury spent 10 minutes strutting about telling how great he was.
    Warm up acts were Status Quo and INXS both of whom were brilliant.
    Queen and particularly Mercury are vastly overrated.

Fat Bastid and drmilktruck like this.
  7. Joe90

Joe90 Synchromatic

Jul 6, 2014
    Canada
    Funny you should ask that...

In February, 1974 I attended a concert featuring Status Quo and Fleetwood Mac. Status Quo played their set with strong support from the hempster audience.

Then Fleetwood Mac came on. Without Mick Fleetwood. Without John McVie. Or Christine McVie. No Bob Welch. Bob Weston was nowhere in sight -- he must've been hanging out with Jenny Boyd. Apparently there was booing, and screaming, and throwing glass bottles. I can't say because I walked out before that all began.

So yeah, I walked out on a concert before the headliner actually played. Or is that "Before the actual headliner played?"

8. otisblove

otisblove Electromatic

May 11, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois USA
    No, but I saw Stone Temple Pilots open for Megadeth in the early 90’s and would have been fine leaving after STP.

9. nasonm

nasonm Gretschie

Nov 3, 2010
    New England, USA
    Funny enough I was going to say the same tour! I had already seen Dylan but had become enthralled with the Dawes album Stories Don't End. I specifically went to the show to see Dawes.

10. doc538

doc538 Electromatic

Sep 20, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Was at an outdoor summer fest concert, I forget who the 2 openers where, but they were great. Then the head liner Sha Na Na, It started raining, Bowser caught a little AC from his mike, ended up on his backside. WE left as the lightning came. Back then, a lot of PAs were still running big fat tubes with lots of juice. Too bad as they usually put on a really good show, but we were able to laugh our butts off all week... After we knew he was ok.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    drmilktruck and Freshy like this.
  11. Fat Bastid

Fat Bastid Gretschie

Jan 16, 2021
    England
    Left Monsters Of Rock at Castle Donnington in 1995 before Metallica came on..
    They Bore me rigid!

drmilktruck likes this.
  12. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    There's no choice if they need the money. Nobody makes anything from recorded music any more.

drmilktruck likes this.
  13. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    15,000 seat arena around 1975. Was not into the Southern Rock then (went with friends who were) Had maybe 10th row seats and it was loud up front.
    Outlaws opened and were exceptional. All the lead guitars syncing up so tight. Jaw dropping for me at the time.
    Marshall Tucker was up next. This would be the only time I would see Toy Caldwell play live. His thumbpickin' had me thinking who is this guy on the LP and what awesome technique.
    Charlie Daniels was the headliner and a couple songs in I had enough and went outside. Charlie was way outclassed by his opening acts.

drmilktruck likes this.
  14. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    The last time or two that I saw BB King headlining at an annual festival, much of the audience left when he came on. Their loss, he was old but still did a great show.

I missed almost all of Jethro Tull because my 2nd wife believed pounding beers would help her headache.

The headliner I wish I’d missed was Billy Idol. He was even more hammered on stage than my 2nd wife was at JT ….

15. Fat Bastid

Fat Bastid Gretschie

Jan 16, 2021
    England
    Having checked the full line-up, I'd seen Therapy?, Slayer, White Zombie, Machine Head & Corrosion of Conformity, so it wasn't a totally wasted day despite ingesting my own weight in rough cider..

drmilktruck likes this.
  16. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I left a headliner once too… Toby Keith. It was kind of like paying to go see a sloppy drunk.

drmilktruck and swivel like this.
  17. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    i would love to go to a GOOD Stray Cats gig.

Trash Kidd likes this.
  18. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    I could never do with Freddie Mercuary and his poncing about. BUT, I did see Queen and Paul Rogers, and Paul Rogers was fantastic with them, Now Queen have that Adam Lampert and it's back to poncing about again.

Trash Kidd likes this.
  19. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    I can’t stand Queen full stop!!! The most pompous, pretentious band ever! Sorry Queen fans! :)

SAguitar and drmilktruck like this.
  20. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    I haven't left before, or during a headliner but I almost did. It was somewhere in my gray area (the early 70's), and Sly and the Family Stone was the headliner. I can't even remember all the bands, but there was Dave Mason, Uriah Heep, Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen and probably some more. Then Sly was supposed to come on, and there was this huge wait... almost left then, but we didn't. Eventually, the band came out (without Sly) and went into some funky jams. I had never heard Larry Graham's funky bass lines before and I was floored by that action. The whole band was awesome. Sly finally appeared on stage and mumbled through some lyrics. Man, was he wasted! The band was as tight as possible, they just didn't have a lead singer. I was glad I stayed to witness their band, but Sly stunk it up big time.

drmilktruck likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.