Have You Ever Left a Concert Before the Headliner?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Jul 19, 2021.

1. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    '77 or '78, Leo Kottke opening for Jesse Colin Young at the University of Georgia Coliseum.

Kottke was great.

dougmon and drmilktruck like this.
  2. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I've never understood how people pay money to see these virtuoso guitar players who are amazing guitar players and then complain that they are boring with no showmanship. What did they expect to see? Guys flying around on jet packs? Eric & Joe are great players but many times their songs fall short. They write cool guitar parts not great songs. They are one dimensional musicians. After about half an hour of that I'm done with it. No matter how good they are, going to one of their shows is about exciting as watching paint dry. Take a guy like Eddie Van Halen. He played great guitar parts in good songs with a band that were very entertaining. Dave Lee Roth was not a great singer but he was an entertainer. Roy Clark, Glen Campbell, etc. These guys were great guitar players who could sing well, write music and were super funny. You could watch one of their videos, turn the sound down and still be entertained by the laughing, smiling. You could see by their faces that they were having fun. No one goes to the Lincoln Memorial and watches it for 2 hours...which is what you get when you watch a guy like Eric Johnson or Joe Satriani...:D.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    Shock, ffooky, GHook and 4 others like this.
  3. MentalTossFlycoon

MentalTossFlycoon Gretschie

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas
    Outlaws/ Black Sabbath in Dallas. Am a huge Outlaws fan and this was the original line up and they were awsome. Black Sabbath is cool too but this was with Ronnie James Dio..... not a big Dio fan, long drive back home, so split on Sabbath

englishman and drmilktruck like this.
  4. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    That's the strange thing with Joe, I didn't know what to expect.

Eric was boring. But Joe? He kept me on the edge of my seat for two hours. Then kept me glued for another 20 minutes of encore. Then another 15 for encore 2.

I'd see Joe any time.

Henry, Gretschtim1 and drmilktruck like this.
  5. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I saw Eric a few years ago, despite having been warned that he was boring. At least that night, he was talkative, didn't spend minutes tuning his guitar and played a just right set. I would like to see Joe, I think he's more than just an 80s shredder.

6. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I kind of wander if a smaller and more relaxed setting would be ideal for Eric. He seemed rather stiff and uncomfortable in this particular setting. He never looked up, never smiled, hardly moved. But Joe put on a visual show that was wonderful to watch. Not a Video show, he was just great at being physically expressive as he played. I would say that he invited you into his playing.

drmilktruck likes this.
  7. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    It was a small theatre in Minneapolis, so that might have something to do with it.

Henry and stevo like this.
  8. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    The Warped tour and Green Day was top billed, my buddy saw them, i was not big on them then, i stayed to hear they're opening song then left. I wish i stayed because they're side project groups got me into to the main band.

Another festival limp biscuit was headlining and set to go on after Rage Against The Machine. there was a mass exodus after Rage, i was part of said exodus.
    Rage is an act that is almost impossible to follow.

drmilktruck likes this.
  9. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I'm a musician first and then comes the guitar. I love guitar but can't stand to hear endless solos. Once in a while during a show I don't mind and actually like an extended solo here or there but too many start boring me. I prefer good melodies, great vocals, harmonies and counter point over solos any day of the week. It's all about what you like and what grabs your attention - there's nothing wrong with that. An artist doesn't need to be running around the stage to keep your attention. Some of my favorite artists just stood there but were really into what they were doing. You could see it in their face and body motions how much they loved what they were doing and the people in the audience got into it because of that and how good they sounded. I'm sure Eric Johnson is a nice guy and he sure can play the hell out of that guitar but there are millions of great guitar players out there. That's all they really do is play guitar. Most people want more than that. Most people prefer a great song over a great solo no matter what instrument it's played on.
    Me personally I would love to see a guy like Eric Johnson playing in a great band with good songs as long as he was playing for the song and not himself. To be honest there are a few local guitar players within a few miles of me that are every bit as good as Eric Johnson. I've worked with them. One of them actually has done sessions in Nashville with James Burton. Some of it has rubbed off on him because on the last session we did together a few months ago I suggested he "try a little James Burton" on the song we were recording - it turned out great and we were laughing and having a great time...:D.
    Having fun - That's what music is all about as far as I'm concerned.

SAguitar, Jackrd and drmilktruck like this.
  10. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    It also works both ways in Classical guitar concerts for instance. Some guys just grab and keep your attention, others are stiff and mechanical. This of course assumes you are interested enough in classical guitar to buy tickets in the first place...

Henry, Gretschtim1 and drmilktruck like this.
  11. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Much earlier.
    Arlington theatre, Santa Barbara
    Ah via musicom tour, or perhaps just before 1990ish
    Joe still had Stu hamm on bass

drmilktruck and larryr like this.
  12. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    The concert I missed was Leo Kottke and Michael Hedges. I really really wish I had seen that one. Kottke is hilarious as well as being an amazing guitar player. Hedges was also quite entertaining in between songs.

drmilktruck and MTurner like this.
  13. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Kottke walked out on the stage and sat down in a chair. He spent what seemed like about 5 minutes tuning up and fiddling with the guitar, ignoring the audience the whole time. Then he looked up, as if seeing that there were somebody else in the room for the 1st time, and said, "Hello. I'm Paul Anka." And then started absolutely playing the crap out of his guitar.

14. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    LOL...that sounds like him. Amazing dry wit.

SAguitar and MTurner like this.
  15. WannaGretsch

WannaGretsch Gretschie

Oct 23, 2012
    ALASKA
    Yes! Van Hagar was headlining and BTO was the opening band. BTO was superb. Such great sound and an awesome performance! Van Halen was so ridiculously load and poorly mixed, just could not stomach it after the first 3 songs.

Tony65x55 and drmilktruck like this.
  16. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    My worst was Aerosmith. I made it six songs. They were really loud and really awful. I left with a headache.

drmilktruck likes this.
  17. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I should have - The Foo Fighters opening for....... Bob Dylano_O

drmilktruck likes this.
  18. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Wait, I saw them on the TV box. Don't they have to be good to get on the TV?

drmilktruck and Tony65x55 like this.
  19. ndteal90

ndteal90 Newbie

May 25, 2016
    Rochester
    Yeah, I went to see Thrice a few years ago. They were touring with Circa Survive. I wanna say it was a dual headliner, but Circa Survive was more or less THE band. We got through Chon, another band that was a little short of mediocre, and Thrice, and then called it. Maybe Circa is good. I don't know. I wasn't there for them. I got what I wanted out if it. Lol.

drmilktruck likes this.
  20. Al Louis

Al Louis Newbie

May 5, 2021
    TW3 4BW
    Too many acts don't or won't realise that their sell by date is long gone do us all a favour and retire honorably and be thankful that you were once a headline act, not many musicians get that gift.

SAguitar and drmilktruck like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.