Have You Ever Left a Concert Before the Headliner?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    My one and only music festival, I hate them so much. Coachella. Even after taking a couple naps at the back of the mellow Electronica tent, I was tired and sick of crowds by the time the headliner came on I think it was Bjork. I found a less loud corner to nap a bit. I think I took more naps than I saw acts lol.

DaddyDog and drmilktruck like this.
  2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I got a free ticket to see Elvis Costello open for Bob Dylan at the Cumberland County Civic Center here in Portland back in 2007.
    Elvis Costello played an acoustic set and that was lame as hell. Sorry Cos, but without a band you’re boring. Maybe in a coffee shop or on a back porch it’d be cool, but in an arena?! Nope.
    Dylan played a horrible set and we left after maybe 3 songs.
    It was a dumb concert and I’m very glad I didn’t have to pay for the ticket.

mrfixitmi and drmilktruck like this.
  3. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Well it happens every time I go to a show with my young daughter and she's too tired to stay for the entire show... :)

drmilktruck likes this.
  4. dlew919

dlew919 Synchromatic

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    sting was the most boring show I’ve ever seen. Branford Marsalis band was his band. Dull. They liked it …

I nearly left after B B king supporting U2. Decided to stay and it was one of the best shows I ever saw.

MrWookiee and drmilktruck like this.
  5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    In the early eigthies there was a big concert with Accept, Mötley Crüe, Ozzy, Gary Moore, and Van Halen. The headliner was AC/DC. We left deliberately before AC/DC started because we expected an incredible traffic jam and we had a long way to go back home.

drmilktruck likes this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I remember another festival that we left early: Huey Lewis, Saga and Black-Label Society opening for Whitesnake (featuring Warren de Martini on guitar).
    When the latter entered the stage we were shocked: A handful of bored old men with shabby clothes. Coverdale was posing like a young superhero looking like an old geezer who lost hins singing voice completely. A faint shadow of the band that burned every stage big time some years ago (featuring Steve Vai).
    We felt so ashamed for them that we left after the second song of their set.

drmilktruck likes this.
  7. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Back in the late 90’s the line up was Keb Mo, Santana and Jeff Beck. Keb Mo was awesome, Santana was a killer but Jeff Beck was SO LOUD ( and this coming from a guitar player that likes loud ) we couldn’t take it after three songs and left. We were by far not the only ones leaving. Too bad, his playing seemed spot on but the volume could only be described as painful.

Jackrd, Tony65x55, Archtops and 2 others like this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Loud? Half of the audience walked out on Hank Williams Jr. They used the same gear in a 6,000 seat theater that they used three days before at the Oklahoma State Fair (the red mud on the gear was still wet). Boss told their TD to turn it down or he'd turn it off. He wasn't kidding. It was too late by then. The promoter lost a ton of cash. It was painfully loud.

Jackrd, Robbie and drmilktruck like this.
  9. Taco Cat

Taco Cat Electromatic

Oct 30, 2020
    Utah
    Twice for me. Years ago my wife got some free tickets to see Kiss and Aerosmith. Not much of a fan at all, but Kiss put on a pretty entertaining show. Aerosmith came out, and it was so stinkin' loud I had a headache by the third song, and we split.

A few years later, we got tickets to see Stray Cats / Pretenders/ ZZ Top. I was there mostly for the Cats, and it was a great show. Pretenders weren't bad, but we had to bail before ZZ Top made it to the stage so that I could go to a friend's wedding reception.

10. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I would have bailed on the friend's wedding...:D.

11. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I like Clapton but Elton John comes across as a very hard act to follow.

bigjohnbates likes this.
  12. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Never done that but I've seen a few openers I could have done without for sure. Eric Johnson opened for Joe Satriani once and it was like hearing his album note for note as if he were playing air guitar. Yes, he's that good and that consistent, not very dynamic on stage. People were so bored that some were saying, "take your clothes off. Give us a show."

13. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Well, yes, Travis Barker is unbelievably good. I really loved the early Blink album, and was looking forward to seeing them with my wife, and another couple. I think it was the tour with Green Day where they took turns closing. Green Day played before Blink, and about 3 songs into Blink, the wives left. Blink played at breakneck speed. The songs were unrecognizable. My buddy and I hung in, but the girls just sat in the parking lot and chatted.

14. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Reminds me of seeing Blues Traveler around 1995. They seemed to play a hard rock version of all their songs, faster and with more gain. Great show.

15. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    i saw that tour. The Gin Blossoms opened.

16. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Most definitely! In the early '90's, when Little Feat came back, they were opening for Jimmy Buffet. Some friends and I had amazing seats so we watched Little Feat and then walked to the very last row and gave our seats to some folks in the cheap seats.
    Who needs Jimmy Buffet once you've seen the Feats, even without Lowell George (how I wish I had seen him!).

Incidentally, I saw that the Feats ate back on tour, but seeing as only Bill Payne (piano) and Kenny Gradney (bass) are the only original members left (percussionist Sam Clayton may still be there, too), in my eyes it just ain't Little Feat anymore. But like Paris, as Bogart said, we'll always have The Feats.

SAguitar and drmilktruck like this.
  17. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Wow really sorry to hear that! Went to their show in Dayton Ohio that tour, and it was a very solid performance, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Two nights later I saw the Slim Jim Phantom Trio here in the Detroit area, got a chance to talk with him and his band after the show. A lot of things going on in town that night, very low attendance, I'd guess maybe 80 people. He was really cool, as were his Fiancé/Bass Player and Guitarist (both Members of the Eagles of Death Metal).

drmilktruck likes this.
  18. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Never when I was working on the show ..............

T Bone and drmilktruck like this.
  19. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I'm sure you've seen it happen though...

drmilktruck likes this.
  20. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Well, I didn't really left ('cause I wasn't alone and my friends had the car :) ) but I remember an Alejandro Escovedo/Ian Hunter at the Austin Riverside Park (if it's still called that way) during South By South West Festival. Alejandro was great, Ian Hunter just boring. I went to the beer tent after the second song and came back on the encore for All The Young Dudes. ;)

drmilktruck likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.