Have You Ever Left a Concert Before the Headliner?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Jul 19, 2021.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Hall & Oates are touring with Squeeze and KT Tunstall (odd pairing.) My wife and I have seen H&O twice. The last time they were terrible, Daryl's voice is gone. But I want to see the other two. So we're thinking of finding some cheaper tickets (lots available on Ticketmaster) and then leaving after Squeeze. Have you ever done that?

2. larryr

larryr Synchromatic

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    Yes. Clapton/Elton John. We went to see Clapton but Elton John went on 1st and played for two and a half hours before. By the time Clapton came on we were fried. Listened to one song and then split.

Jackrd and drmilktruck like this.
  3. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Took the kids to see Blink-182 once because they wanted to see the opening act. I can't even remember who it was, but once they finished their set, the kids were adamant about leaving. They had ZERO desire to hang around for Blink-182.

Which was too bad, because Travis Barker's supposed to be real hot shot drummer and I was halfway looking forward to checking him out. Oh well ...

As all dads know, you'll never win an argument with a pack of teenage girls!

We left.

4. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Eric Johnson opening for Joe Satriani

drmilktruck likes this.
  5. larryr

larryr Synchromatic

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    G3? Hollywood Bowl? We left too.

drmilktruck likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    The rest of him should go too . You mean Daryl ( I love me who do you love ) Hall . Ugh , can't stand ya Castanza . Got to the concert ...see your bands you want to see and leave .
    Rant over

drmilktruck likes this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've often wanted to, but I'd get fired for leaving work early. I stayed for a lot of them ONLY because I was getting paid to be there.

Half the audience walked out when Sting played our theater. After waiting an hour and a half folks left and demanded their money back.

The Beach Boys played our theater in the '80s. Terrible---couldn't carry a tune in a bucket with the lid on it.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    panhead6zero, doc538, Jackrd and 4 others like this.
  8. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Not quite before the headliner came on but… A couple of years ago on the Stray Cats 40th tour..
    We had tickets for Hammersmith Apollo, London.
    When the Cats came on the sound was terrible, they looked very uninterested & to be honest looked burnt out..
    We gave it about 4 songs to see if the sound improved but it didn’t so we left!
    Real shame… I saw Setzer’s Rockabilly riot in London a couple of years before & he was on fire that night absolutely awesome!!

ZackyDog, T Bone and drmilktruck like this.
  9. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Yes I was waiting for the last band (Santana) and a fight broke out next to me and blood was on my seat. I just left completely bummed out.

drmilktruck likes this.
  10. slaminsam

slaminsam Electromatic

Apr 11, 2021
    Texas
    Went to Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Huey Lewis and the News opened for her, left after JJ's fist song which was her only hit. Best thing about her set was they played "Won't get fooled again" by the Who right before she came out. HL and the News were awesome.

MrWookiee and drmilktruck like this.
  11. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Have You Ever Left a Concert Before the Headliner?

Yes. My wife and I.
    1st part : They Call Me Rico - Excellent. :cool:
    2st part : Joe Satriani - Awfull. :confused:
    We stayed barely 15mn and we went out of that noise...
    Fortunately, I did not paid for these tickets : they had been given to me. :D
    A+!

drmilktruck likes this.
  12. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Saw The Cult open for Metallica but left afterwards. Saw James McMurtry open for Mathew Sweet. Never did see Mathew Sweet or Metallica.

13. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    We were at the same gig. Left before the end.

mrfixitmi, drmilktruck and Trash Kidd like this.
  14. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    I know when a concert is bad. I find myself squirming in my seat wishing it was over.

drmilktruck likes this.
  15. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Haven't left before the headliners started but have left early quite a few times, even when it's people I've seen before, mainly due to beating traffic out of the places.

Was a big fan of Blink182 when I was in high school, still listen to them now but not any of there later stuff, and yes Travis Barker is pretty good on the drums...well I'm not a drummer but all my drummer mates said he was and the clip I've seen of him are pretty impressive.

drmilktruck and Highroller like this.
  16. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Such a shame… I’d heard good reports from other shows!

drmilktruck likes this.
  17. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, I would've liked to see him, but it wasn't gonna happen that day!

btw, the opening act was My Chemical Romance. Completely different fan base than Blink's. It's a weird pairing, if you stop and think about it.

drmilktruck likes this.
  18. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA

I was in the audience that night when McCartney christened the newly constructed Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas, May, 1993.

The opening/first part was a graphic and unsettling slide-show presentation on animal rights (an important subject to me). But you don't try to combine it with a rock concert. :rolleyes: To me, it was bad judgement on Paul's part, and the seats were expensive and awful (nose-bleed section) to boot.

I almost felt like walking out, but my then girlfriend would have been very upset with me. I'll watch the old Beatles and Wings videos from now on.

19. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yes well I have those teenage girl conundrums a head of me in the future so no doubt will fully understand what you mean when I get there lol.

Haven't heard of My Chemical Romance in ages and yes I agree it is an odd pairing.

20. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have not walked out before the headliner but we have booed the headliner off stage. In the quad cities they had a river front concert. Warrant then Great White then Ratt. Ratt came on had some sound issues then told the audience they didn’t want to be there people in the city and state in general we, well we will just leave that unspoken, then they started a song. We ran them off stage and Warrant came back out and played another set. Warrant and Great White were great Ratt was crap bug headed idiots. I broke up all my Ratt tape and never listened to them again.

Marko60 and drmilktruck like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.