Hats Off -- AGAIN -- to Ed Ball!!

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by senojnad, Jun 13, 2021.

1. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    My July 2021 Issue if Vintage Guitar arrived yesterday and it features an article previously run in 2011 that Ed did about the origins of the Duo Jet.

Once again, some outstanding writing by Ed. It will of of value to many who of "newbies" with Gretsch history and should stimulate sales his Ed's wonderful books.

Congratulations, Ed! When they start running your reruns, you know you have become a star!

2. Fat Bastid

Fat Bastid Gretschie

Jan 16, 2021
    England
    Glad it's not this one...

[​IMG]

He is Ed Balls, Politician in England up until 2015 when he became a 3rd rate celebrity..

Londoner likes this.
  3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    There’s an Ed Ball that is a long-time and valued member of this forum. He is a published author and an acknowledged expert on vintage Gretsch.

thunder58 likes this.
  4. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Yep
    AKA Waynegretschky

Merc likes this.
  5. dougmon

dougmon Synchromatic

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    Ed Ball's book on the 6120 is a gem. I thought it might be very dry, but in fact it's very entertaining (to guitar nerds.)

6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    There’s even a very small picture of my old 6120N in that book. I live off the royalties.

Ok, I don’t actually live off the royalties, but those imaginary royalties fund all of my make believe purchases. :)

Archtops, radd, new6659 and 4 others like this.
  7. ToneM1

ToneM1 Gretschie

Ok, I don’t actually live off the royalties, but those imaginary royalties fund all of my make believe purchases.
    My friend Robb Lawerence who wrote the two Les Paul books that came out in 2008 was here yesterday. He said the royalties he got really didn't cover the promo for the books or the costs of traveling to make apperences. He does have a book coming on Orville Gibson!

8. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Book royalties are usually not all that much, unless you have a bestseller which runs into the millions.

Some years ago, I swapped some emails with a fellow that did a good instructional video, which had sold fairly well. He told me that he had made $200 for his efforts.

9. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    I'm a bit late to the discussion... but thanks for the kind words! I always advise people who have shown interest in writing books, to NOT do it for the money. I assumed the 6120 would be one time project, so I went all out, and spent substantial money on Getty images and photo-shoots. It paid of in that the final product has been well received within the Gretsch fan community (which was the target audience)... but it most certainly hasn't paid off financially. Fortunately, that was never my objective. On the royalty front... I get $2 for every $40 MSRP book sold. Considering one Getty image license ran me about $700, I'd say I'll need to sell a LOT more books! 8^)

Archtops, Stefan87, new6659 and 3 others like this.
  10. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
    You beat me to it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.