Has Gretsch done a Gibson?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Humpblock, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Humpblock

Humpblock Electromatic

Jan 28, 2020
    Australia
    DB31A332-D292-4DC1-86B2-D63F82117D0E.jpeg That binding looks a bit dodgy to me. Not the best pic to advertise the new Streamliners.

Marv666 likes this.
  2. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    You mean making quality guitars with the iconic brand name only being used on instruments made in America? I wish but that’s never going to happen.

3. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Not sure exactly what you mean by doing a Gibson (just me not being able to get that one, not the quickest on the uptake sometimes lol) but as far as the binding in the picture goes well I think I see what you are saying.

I know the streamliners are a great guitar, I have played a few and liked them and my electros are fantastic too but I won't say they don't have their own little flaws in the relation to some finish aspects, nothing to get riled up about just 1-2 dust particles in the paint finish and the binding on my silver 5230T is similar in one part as the one pictured but for the price they are I'm not going to expect show room quality.

My 5 prolines though, 3 I bought brand new and are perfect on the finish, my other 2 were second hand and are in great condition even though they have been well played.

gazzie and G5422T like this.
  4. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well there is the gretsch custom shop which is made in America isn't it, but it would be cool to do what Fender and Gibson do and make an American made series as well as all the others but maybe that wouldn't be cost effective.

5. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    All the major guitar makers have their screw ups.
    I hate to beat a dead horse but I still haven't gotten over the fact that the radius of the bridge doesn't match the radius of the neck on my $3000+ Gretsch Country Gent and they won't do a damn thing about it.
    So I think we should lighten up the Gibson bashing here. They make great guitars and just like Gretsch and Fender they have issues on occasion.

gazzie, mr coffee and T Bone like this.
  6. RRGuitarCo

RRGuitarCo Gretschie

May 23, 2021
    San Diego CA
    It's a cheap guitar, and you get what you pay for in life.
    Want a guitar with perfect binding work? Get a pro line, mine are all superb.

7. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Good binding is good binding. You'll pay for the craftsmanship up front.

Never had a Proline binding issue at all, and I've owned numerous models in the past 20 years.

And then there's a 50 year old Martin

20200828_234327.jpg

Good binding is good binding. :)

8. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    when you look at the great affordable guitars in the Gibson USA line there’s no reason other companies couldn’t. Those faded SGs they made for about $700 were really great sounding and playing guitars. The Historic stuff is pricey but the regular USA stuff is pretty remarkable for the price.

I think they get $1500 or something for a USA pleck’d special

9. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yeah I always thought Gibsons were over priced but truthfully never really looked as they are just not my thing, but the only guitar in the last 6 months that I have tried that has really stuck with me is one of the new Modern Tribute Les Pauls, one was handed to my by a salesman because I said the colour looked cool and yeah it was awesome, I'm not a Gibson or a Les Paul guy but can't lie and say I'm not tempted by it, at $2000ish AUD it's a pretty competitive price (Fender Performer Tele's are $1800AUD for comparison).

G5422T likes this.
  10. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, as I recall it, one of the first things Gibson did after the new management took over was lower the prices on several popular models. Back in the Henry J days, a US made SG Standard was gonna cost you a bit over 3K. The new guys dropped it to around 2.

Much more reasonable, and enough of a difference that it was among the reasons I finally pulled the trigger on one. I think they're doing a lot better on those price point issues these days.

11. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    And the Streamliner is how much? :)

Mogg likes this.
  12. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Truth in Advertising? Hey, maybe we should be applauding them!

And yeah, Streamliners are the econo end of the line, but they're not that cheap. They're not like $200 Squiers - they're still $5-600 guitars. Enough that decent binding should be part of the deal.

But anyway, that's not a guitar problem. That's an ad agency problem. A better photo editor would have caught that.

section2 and new6659 like this.
  13. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    It’s often a chicken/egg type situation in which the manufacturer needs to have the ads printed out before they roll out the actual product. Often the ad agency or marketing department has to make use of prototypes or otherwise unfinished articles.

14. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    You never know if the advertising guys actually know anything about the instruments they're advertising. Reminds me of an old MF catalog I got in the mail a long time ago. Beautiful drum set on the cover ... with the floor toms upside down! LMAO!

section2, T Bone, Mogg and 2 others like this.
  15. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Back in the Henry J days they made those faded SG models that were pretty amazing guitars for about $600. They also made all of those early 90s guitars that people rave about (I’m at a loss on that one) and setup the Bozeman acoustic factory that makes some flat out killer guitars and started the Historic line.

HJ did some silly things, although I love my Firebird X, but he also did a ton of good over the years.

It’s sad a company like GreTsch is basically a low end import brand, same with Fender. One thing Gibson did right is keeping all Gibson branded instruments USA made. To me, most Gretsch stuff is equivalent or lesser than what Epiphone makes. Same with Fender/Squire.

16. afire

afire Country Gent

I agree entirely. I cringe whenever people claim that Gretsches couldn't be made in the USA at a reasonable price point. Gibson, Martin, Rickenbacker, Fender, Heritage, PRS and many others make fine and reasonably priced guitars in the USA. They also make wildly expensive ones in the USA (as does Gretsch). Not to mention, if you're looking to save a buck in manufacturing, Japan is not the place to do it. And the prices bear that out. Japanese Gretsches are priced comparably to comparably appointed Gibsons. I think the reason Gretsches are made in Japan is simply because that's where the capacity was when Fred Gretsch resurrected the brand. My modern Gretsch history may be a little fuzzy, but my understanding is that he did attempt to make arrangements with a US manufacturer, but was unable to. Not willing or able to start a factory from scratch, Japan was the obvious choice. And the arrangement has worked out far too well to change course, so Japan it will remain.

17. Electrosynthesis

Electrosynthesis Gretschie

May 11, 2011
    São Paulo
    I think I get what you are saying, but my experience was different. When I set out to buy what to me would be my first high end guitar, I walked into the store looking for a used Gibson 339 or a 335. As I was playing them, this guitar caught my eye. It was a Setzer flame maple 6120, also used. Even though the prices of the 335 and 6120 were equivalent, I found the finish and workmanship on the 6120 made the others rough by comparison, and it played beautifully. A couple of days later took the 6120 home with me.

I don't mean to imply that one is better than the other — each to his own — and I still want a 335, like badly. However, at least when it comes to the pro line, IMHO they are very well made, regardless of where they are made.

drmilktruck and Stefan87 like this.
  18. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Just wondering why you're comparing a $300 Steamliner to a $3000 Gibson?
    Not a fair comparison imo :)

I wouldn't buy a Streamliner myself but if I did I certainly wouldn't be complaining about a binding imperfection on a $300 guitar

Mogg, Robbie and drmilktruck like this.
  19. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Ever since I was a kid I've used a Spinning rod/reel and caught thousands of fish with them. That's the kind where the reel hangs under the rod in your right hand and you turn the crank with your left.
    Spinning Rod Reel.jpg

For all these years I've seen commercials on TV (often with a grandfather fishing with a grandchild) where the idiots hold the rod upside down, balancing the reel on top, and turn the handle backwards. One minute of research would have shown them the right way to hold it but no, probably 20 people didn't know and OKed the ad.

mr coffee, diamoroso, T Bone and 3 others like this.
  20. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I will second this with the gibson USA vs gretsch japan, just recently i a friend bought his 2008 les paul standard and compared it against my 2009 white penguin, now the les paul was a great guitar and i would be happy to own it but all 3 of us that were there agreed on the fact the white penguin was the winner of the day, like you not going to say one was better then the other but in fit and finish the penguin had it over the gibson so to say a Japanese gretsch is sub par to an American gibson doesn't hold true in my opinion and experience.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.