Harness question

RoverMan

May 9, 2022
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all.
I'm Anthony from Melbourne, Australia.
First-time post.
I recently purchased a 2nd hand G2420. I can't quite read the label, but it looks like it's made in Indonesia.
Fantastic guitar.
I'm going to install a pair of Porter Filtertrons.
My question, which puts the wind up people in Australia, is do you have any resources or contacts for an upgraded harness?
The pots don't work properly, they're either on 10 or zero, and the switch is just a cheapie.
Surely there must be people in this forum that have replaced Gretsch harnesses? I kind of see it like a ES335 harness with two extra-long cabling runs to the upper and lower bout.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thank you.
Anthony

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Hi all.
I'm Anthony from Melbourne, Australia.
First-time post.
I recently purchased a 2nd hand G2420. I can't quite read the label, but it looks like it's made in Indonesia.
Fantastic guitar.
I'm going to install a pair of Porter Filtertrons.
My question, which puts the wind up people in Australia, is do you have any resources or contacts for an upgraded harness?
The pots don't work properly, they're either on 10 or zero, and the switch is just a cheapie.
Surely there must be people in this forum that have replaced Gretsch harnesses? I kind of see it like a ES335 harness with two extra-long cabling runs to the upper and lower bout.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thank you.
Anthony
Welcome to the forum, @RoverMan !

I have had a few wiring harnesses/pots/jack outputs replaced by a luthier in Sydney at the same time the guitars were having pickup changes and being set-up and checked out. Not cheap, but I prefer to let the professionals do it.
As @thunder58 says above, many people on the forum have used TV Jones wiring harnesses. I believe they are very good and his shipping is fast and quite reasonable cost.
My advice would be to find the best luthier close to you in Melbourne and see what he says.

Attachments

• g'day mate.jpg
    g'day mate.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 0

Llywelyn

Electromatic
Aug 26, 2020
Australia
G’day Roverman,

Where are you in Melbourne? There’s a guy in Templestowe who I’ve heard good reports about, but I haven’t used him myself.

BrianW

Country Gent
Oct 21, 2014
Vancouver Island
Welcome, and best of luck chasing down a harness upgrade. I think I would be looking locally if at all possible, mostly due to shipping delays right now. Nothing against TV Jones at all (I have a bunch of their pickups and always very happy to deal with them) Not really sure about incoming to Aus, but I know its a long wait for parts coming from Australia (obscure motorcycle parts in my case)

cheers