Handing in my Gretsch card for now...

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Jimmy Rocket, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Jimmy Rocket

Jimmy Rocket Gretschie

Feb 14, 2012
    Durham, NC
    Over the past two years I've bought (and happily modded) a black 2008 pro jet and a beautiful walnut 5120.

Yet, as wonderful as they were and as nicely as they played I never really bonded with them. I could try to blame it on the poly finish, or the pickups, or whatever, but the thing was they just never really felt right in my hands.

Well, I traded the pro-jet for a Martin a few months ago and just this week I swapped the 5120 for a Gibson SG. The Martin is a keeper, the SG is an experiment. ;)

Anyway, all that to say I guess this means I have to hand in my Gretsch card for the time being, but I've thoroughly enjoyed all of the Gretschy conversation, advice and community here at G-T!

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Very cool jimmy , hope you stick around tho. Your always welcome here at the friendliest forum on the planet. P.S. The SG is one of my favorite guitars

3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Even though you don't own any Gretsches at the moment, the siren song will eventually lure you back. Stick around we'd love to have you.

4. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC

Dont leave us Jimmy. Plenty of good old guitar talk going on. SGs are great guitars. Congrats!

Larryb

5. jflintmac

jflintmac Country Gent

It is always going to depend on the individual and the type of music that you play. For me, there is no other rockabilly guitar than a hollow body Gretsch, and that inspires me to daydream of a simpler time of life. I also love to play a strat, but not as often as I uded to.
    Hope you find what you are looking for...

Cheers,
    Jeff

6. weazel

weazel Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Go,just go away,go to the martin forum and never come here again ,goodbye

7. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Had you forewarned us we could have suggested that, fine as SGs are (some of them), a Corvette might have made a more interesting experiment. Anyway, there's no need to jump ship just because you are (for the moment) Gretschless.

8. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Nice try. It's just like the lyrics said...you can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...

9. The Marlin

The Marlin Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    London...ish
    No need to be so hasty, There are plenty of other Gretsch models to try

M

10. Jimmy Rocket

Jimmy Rocket Gretschie

Feb 14, 2012
    Durham, NC
    Well, I do intend to stick around for the conversation, so no worries there ;)

I'm going to be honest and say that the Gretsch models that I had were a little too shiny for me (for lack of a better way to say it). My other guitars (La Cab, Les Paul, and my Martins) all have nitro finishes and they feel better in my hands. When I feel better, I play better. When I play better, I enjoy myself more...

The poly on the 5120 always felt too thick and looked too new. It sounded great, played great, and looked great, it just never felt like home.

The jet was a little closer to the mark.

I would love to rescue an ond corvette and bring it back to health. That's long been something I've considered, so who knows!

11. freespoken

freespoken Gretschie

Jul 31, 2011
    New Mexico
    I've found that my Taylor acoustic fits my hands better than my Martin acoustic. And my Gretsch 6121-1955 plays easier than my 6120. That being said, I love them all! Good luck on the SG....always eyed those to...especially with p-90s

12. freespoken

freespoken Gretschie

Jul 31, 2011
    New Mexico
    Also, I sold my custom shop strat to fund my 6121-1955...turned out to be a great decision. That being said, there's no denying what awesome music people can make with a strat.

13. Whenever I am in doubt, I always go to my accoustic. It's the go to guitar. I only have one gretsch. Most note threads I reply to here or start are rarely gretsch related. But the people are just too good to pass up. That's why I stick around. There is a wealth of info here and kindness I don't find in most places. Perhaps I need to hang out at some
    Better places. Either way, glad your sticking around!

14. Krisjan

Krisjan Gretschie

Mar 4, 2013
    Illinois
    Request denied.

15. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Hey Jimmy, there's lots of room for all kinds of guitars. I love 'em all (well, most) and I share your passion for the SG. I have four and they are great guitars. But they are totally different from a Gretsch and I suspect, sometime in the not so distance future, you'll realize that a Gretsch delivers certain things you can only get from a Gretsch and you'll be back. Stick around Gretsch Talk, you're are always welcome here.

16. Jimmy Rocket

Jimmy Rocket Gretschie

Feb 14, 2012
    Durham, NC
    The other woman in all of this...

[​IMG]

17. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Nice, but it could still use a Compton and some TVJ pickups :)

18. geoff4jeff

geoff4jeff Gretschie

Feb 14, 2012
    Melbourne Australia
    Stay, Rocket. Certainly there's no reason to formally announce your departure. :confused:

And, in response to this quote...

Shirley, you cannot be serious! :eek::D

19. accy

accy Gretschie

Dec 3, 2011
    Im same, had a brand new pro jet and sold it not long after,, good guitar but just didnt could bind with it,, like the forum though,, no gretsch but decided to stick around

20. Jimmy Rocket

Jimmy Rocket Gretschie

Feb 14, 2012
    Durham, NC
    Good people here for sure! It doesn't get much friendlier.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.