Hallo from Germany

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by Relectric, May 9, 2021.

1. Relectric

Relectric Electromatic

May 7, 2021
    Germany
    Hi everybody, I'm from Dortmund in Germany and in the past I've read a lot of interesting things in this forum. Since I got my 3rd Gretsch last Monday, I feel a little bit like being a part of That Great Gretsch Club.
    I'm playing in a Bluesband since almost 30 years now (most often Strat in this context) and in a Bigband for several years now (both just for fun, not professional!!). In addition to 'normal' Bigband stuff we're playing songs of the Setzer Orchestra.
    So I started playing Gretsch. I started with an Electromatic G5420, which I upgraded with Setzer TV Jones.
    But I sold it after I was lucky to get another Gretsch: In my spare time I'm a painter and I could swap two paintings for a 6120 Chet Atkins from 2008.
    And now I found a G3141 which I had to buy immediately (even though I didn't know this model before).
    It sounds great and looks great. But needs a Bigsby. ... And this would be my first question: which one? I've read a lot of Bigsby-discussions and everything I could find about the G3141, but I'm no wiser than before!
    But I'll start a Thread of its own for this question. Here I just wanted so say Hallo!

IMG_0878.JPG

2. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
  3. L Robbins

L Robbins Gretschie

May 3, 2017
    USA
    Welcome! Glad to have you here!

4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome friend , glad you're here
    Can someone help our new member out with the Cats Eye

5. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Re,

Welcome.

You want to replace the existing tail-piece, with a vintage style ''V'' Bigsby, in brushed aluminum, same part as the unit on your orange stain model. Bigsby model B3, there is also a B6, which has a slightly longer tail.

B3C, meaning ''chrome'', actually brushed aluminum, and B3G, ''gold plated''

Get yourself a good roller bridge as well.

Lots of suppliers available, ask if you need source help.

Angela Instruments has stock, great folks to deal with, ship world wide.

Best,

BIB

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  6. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Welcome to the forum.

7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Relectric! Here is my 1999 3140 with mods: TV Jones T-Armond pickups, Bigsby B6C V-cut, Compton Titanium chambered bridge, handmade brass nut, custom pickguard:
    german welcome mat 3.jpg 3140 &3141 mods and upgrades 002b.JPG 3140 &3141 mods and upgrades 006.jpg 3140 &3141 mods and upgrades 007.jpg 3140 &3141 mods and upgrades 012.jpg

townerusa, Archtops, Jeff67 and 4 others like this.
  8. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    The 3141 is the same as 3140 only in black. Mine has similar upgrades but TVJ Powertrons instead and a custom "cats-eye" pickguard. Here's the 2 side by side:
    3140 &3141 mods and upgrades 074.jpg

Bob Perrone, Jeff67, Archtops and 3 others like this.
  9. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Welcome to the madness!
    I've a 3140 as well.
    The only difference I'd give to what the others have said is to go with a Tru-Arc or Compton bridge instead of a roller. I don't need a Bigsby myself. The only downsides to the guitar are the lack of a master volume, and the need for strap locks. Historics are seriously underrated guitars.
    Everything sounds better with Cat's Eyes!

Jeff67 likes this.
  11. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
  12. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Welcome to Gretschville!
    You need to look at the height of the bridge. It’s probably a bit too low for a B6. That leaves a B7 or B12.

13. Relectric

Relectric Electromatic

May 7, 2021
    Germany
    Thanks for this warm welcome and your help!
    Yes, the missing master volume is another item! I've got a late 80's LP-style guitar, which I changed to master volume and tone, and I think, this could be a solution for the 3141 too (as probably most of you, I'm not happy, if I can't tinker with my guitars (that word correct?)). :)
    I'm also gonna fix a bone nut for better tuning stability. By the way: I've read, that the B7(0) Bigsby have an issue with that. But I don't do dive bombs, instead I'm worried, that the strings jump off of the bridge, if I'm strumming hard with a B6 (which is nessecary in the Bigband). But you don't seem to have that problem, Audept, isn't it? With my G6120 it works well, but I think the G3141 has a 'flatter' angle...

Oh, and I forgot one thing: My 3141 is from 2000.

14. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk.

That's really cool to have traded 2 paintings for your G6120. Do you have a website with pixs of your paintings?

15. nrw_guitar

nrw_guitar Gretschie

Aug 19, 2012
    kettwig
    Welcome to the forum! I am just down the A40 in Essen. If you decide to do the upgrade and you want to sell that old G Tailpiece, just send me a message. I could use it for a project I am slowly trying to complete!

Are you a BVB Fan? :)

16. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    Willkommen!! Nice guitars!!

17. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Welcome to GT. Enjoy the stay!

18. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I have a very light touch playing style, even more so now I have developing arthritis, so it isn't a problem for me. Despite my love of Pete Townsend I've had to give up on the "windmills" :D It helps that my luthier is a magician who always seems to get the perfect setup low string action with a shallow break angle across the bridge. I fear it may be too shallow for the more heavy-handed or "enthusiastic" player though.

19. Relectric

Relectric Electromatic

May 7, 2021
    Germany
    Hallo nach Essen, yes of course, I can sell you the Tailpiece, when the Bigsby is 'on'. Maybe I can even give it directly to you: We have a rehearsal room right in the heart of Essen.

I'm a BVB-Fan light, since I moved here a few years ago ;))

20. Relectric

Relectric Electromatic

May 7, 2021
    Germany
    Oh, that doesn't sound good. I hope you still can play for a long time!!! Ok, then I have to look at a B7 and see, if I can work on the tuning stability. I'm strumming harder than I shimmer... (although there is not enough space on stage for 'windmills' ;))

audept likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.