Had a Trio Last Night

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by MrWookiee, Jun 11, 2021.

1. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Since we're all vaxxed I met with my band director and another band-mate for some flute/oboe/bassoon fun. First time I'd touched the bassoon in over a year, and the first time any of us had rehearsed since the pandemic began. Our embouchures were shot after only 4 pages of a chart - nice early 18th-century chamber music by a French composer I'd never heard of - even with a lot of breaks and gabbing. It's going to be a regular thing! I'd almost forgotten how wonderful it is to play with others. This will motivate me to practice more, too, though it will cut into guitar time.

2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Very Cool. I'd love to see your bassoon.

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Can you actually say that in polite company?

My favorite bassoon/oboe tune is the version of "Funeral March for a Marionette" used on the old Alfred Hitchcock show.

4. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Of course not. That's why I asked. :p

5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Glad you had fun . Yea , pics or it didn't happen ;)

6. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Horn pic, as requested.
    Mom, Dad, ... I'm a trans-sectional.

Tha bassoon is an old Mirafone, on loan to me by our local orchestra. Halfway decent bassoons are waaaaay to spendy for me to afford, even used.

I should mention that the composer was Flemish, not French. No offense meant to friends of either persuasion. Specifically, the piece is by the "London Loeillet", not to be confused with a couple of his contemporaries who bore the same name.

Attached Files:

Henry and pmac11 like this.
  7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Very cool. Always had a soft spot for double Reed instruments . . . perhaps because I've never played one myself.

8. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I'd recommend giving one a try, for giggles. You pretty much have to know someone local, or play in a school band to get your hands on a loaner, though. Fun fact: when my bassoon chops were very strong, back in high school, I tried playing a friend's oboe; couldn't get the the horn to make so much as a squeak! Oboe (and French horn) players must have chops of unobtanium!

Henry likes this.
  9. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    This thread isn’t nearly as randy as the title had suggested :eek::eek::eek:;);)

GlenP and MrWookiee like this.
  10. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Sounds like your mind is in the gutter. Glad I'm not the only one thus afflicted!! :D

gtttrrr likes this.
  11. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Great that you are getting back into playing with others! And a bassoon, very cool. Only reed instrument I ever had in my hands was my kid's clarinet and it wasn't what one could call a success... I did play a coronet in my school's band and "jazz band" so had lots of exposure to different instruments; but there were, unfortunately, other things to focus on at that age.
    Anyway - enjoy your sessions !!

MrWookiee likes this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    For anyone that thinks guitars are expensive, just price brass or woodwind instruments.

MrWookiee likes this.
  13. dougmon

dougmon Synchromatic

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    My current favorite bassoon music.

Sorry if this is a non sequitur.

thunder58 and MrWookiee like this.
  14. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Yeah, there are a few guys out there doing some pretty wild things with electric/mic'd bassoons these days. I saw a video of our last jr. college band concert and said "I need an amp." The problem in an orchestral setting is micing the instrument in a way that doesn't change the timbre or pick up the sound of the keys clacking, because the sound doesn't emanate from the bell unless you're playing in the low register. One guy's pro rig uses 3 mics and 3 preamps going into whatever his amp is. Each mic is several hundred $$ so too rich for an amateur. The pro dude (I disremember his name) plays everything from Bach to Boogie to Bird.

15. Scamp

Scamp Gretschie

Feb 22, 2018
    SoCal
    I used to play oboe. Started in Jr High and through city collage. Played sax in marching band. I don't think I could even get a honk out of it now. LOL That little double reed was a killer. That's also about the time I started playing guitar.
    One thing I've always been glad of is I learned to read music. Now days it seems everything is in tab and confuses me. I keep looking at the tab as musical notes and it don't work that way. Back to getting piano music.
    Must have been fun bring back some old playing days. Little harder to get that embouchures back in shape than getting the fingers moving on the neck of a guitar after a long layoff.
    Have fun.

MrWookiee likes this.
  16. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Very cool

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.